Review by TeacherLynn -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TeacherLynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherlynn.html
Latest Review: As Far As You Can by David A. Fiensy

Review by TeacherLynn -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by TeacherLynn »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Learning from your mistakes, finding a positive outlook in every situation, and persevering until the very end are three of the many lessons you will encounter in Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery.

Jorge recreates his life and struggles in his autobiography. He takes us through his first business venture as a paperboy and into his next as an ice cream salesman on a trike. We follow him as he becomes a busboy, a music mogul, and then into the world of real estate. You will find yourself celebrating with him as he builds his million dollar empire. You will find yourself filled with sadness as he loses it all.

This book is inspiring on so many levels. Jorge goes through what he refers to as burn zones, which are moments in life where you have to keep pedaling forward through the challenge without looking back. Jorge learned about burn zones specifically while pushing himself to become a professional cyclist. He describes every burn zone and what he did to push through, all the while keeping an optimistic outlook and a ray of hope. Every failure he endured was a chance to learn and improve. Every mistake he made opened a door to a success in the future.

Not only is Jorge inspiring, but his parents are as well. His parents supported him through all of his challenges, knowing his struggles even when he wasn’t completely open with them. As a reader, we experience Jorge’s parents as they grow to old age and we are lucky enough to learn the same lessons of perseverance and optimism from them.

I enjoyed the powerful life lessons this book shared. If you’re not anywhere near millionaire status and wonder what a millionaire can teach you, read this book. You’ll be surprised. Jorge is an amazing person who helped, and still currently helps, people in need. He transformed whole communities that were falling apart. He rebuilt homes and brought hope into many lives.

The only dislike I have with this book is the use of real-estate terms. There is one chapter that focuses a great deal on the processes of buying and selling mortgages. Although I was confused with the vocabulary and the descriptions of those processes, I wasn’t confused about the good Jorge was doing with his company. The overall meaning was conveyed well.

I’m more than happy to rate Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery 4 out of 4 stars. The book appeared to be professionally edited, as I only saw one punctuation mistake. Profanity was only used once by an irate sister-in-law.

I recommend this book to every reader that enjoys autobiographies from a businessman perspective, and anyone that enjoys being inspired and motivated to never give up.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kmittag67
Favorite Author: Jim Butcher
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmittag67.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 2907

Post by kmittag67 »

I typically am not a fan of autobiographies but Burn Zones sounds interesting. As a novel filled with inspiration and dynamic life lessons, I believe it would be beneficial to read. Thank you for the excellent review.
Anyone who has time to clean is not reading nearly enough :wink:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed the comments you included about Jorge's parents and how they influenced his positive habits. I admire him for staying close to his family and for all he does for the community. This does sound like a motivational book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”