Official Review: Preschool Preparedness for an Active Sho...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Official Review: Preschool Preparedness for an Active Sho...

Post by Misael Carlos »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Preschool Preparedness for an Active Shooter" by Andrew Roszak.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Preschool Preparedness for an Active Shooter by Andrew Roszak provides a valuable tool for early childhood professionals, teachers and school administrator in handling emergencies involving active-shooter incidents. Why are these happening? How do we protect our children? What steps should early childhood caregivers undertake to protect the children entrusted to them? Roszak presents his book to empower the readers with knowledge and understanding about active-shooter incidents and offer the best approach in handling them.

Preschool Preparedness for an Active Shooter was easy to read and well-organized. Roszak presented the facts in a straightforward manner; he did not mince words, zooming in to what was essential. He started with the basics by defining terms like active shooter, hard corner and normalcy bias to assist the lay audience for quick absorption. The discussion and learning in one chapter established the ground for the succeeding chapter’s discussion. This pattern carried on until the concluding chapter. He provided a broader perspective of active shooter incidents by including every factor within and outside a school’s environment; the topic about the different rings of security was an enlightening information. I realized as I read on that his discussions were applicable to other similar life-threatening situations. Taking stock of your environment when it seemed like something was out place, and being prepared to react are key things to undertake in securing one’s safety. Although secure systems and implementation of security measures will entail more costs to the child-care providers, their lasting benefits outweighed the costs.

I was horrified with what I have learned about active shooters, their similar characteristics and the actual incidents the author used as examples. It saddened me that lives were sacrificed to save lives: this should serve as an eye-opener for child-care providers that a strict set of regulations is imperative to address active-shooter scenarios and a wide variety of situations and threats.

I felt Roszak’s commitment in providing valuable information to readers; he is passionate to his cause. Comprehensive research, collaboration with various groups of professionals and trainings with first responders lent an integrity and authority to Preschool Preparedness for an Active Shooter. References to studies made by different researchers provided in-depth insights and understanding; images were provided for emphasis and reading engagement.

On the downside, there were some grammatical errors like missing commas and a missing hyphen. There were some incorrect placements of punctuation marks. The term “Berserker” was spelled as “Beserker” on page 19.

Roszak apparently focused on the active-shooter incidents in the U.S. Besides one example that happened in another country, no other similar incident outside the U.S. was mentioned. This led me to wonder and ask myself: Do these incidents occur prevalently in the U.S. only? It would have been nice if the author provided supplemental data about active-shooter incidents in other countries for possible analysis or comparison.

I give Preschool Preparedness for an Active Shooter 4 out of 4 stars. An engaging, informative and educative material like this book deserves nothing but the highest rating. Although there were grammatical errors, these are minimal and did not in any way distracted me from having a wonderful reading experience.

If you are a parent, or a child-care provider acknowledging the necessity to protect the children entrusted to your care, this is for you. Preschool Preparedness for an Active Shooter is a nonfiction book so those who are into fiction books which cater to diverse genres like romance, drama or suspense should look elsewhere.

Preschool Preparedness for an Active Shooter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

This is a book whose importance can not be overestimated, especially in modern-day. This is a great review as well.
Misael Carlos
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

Ogoskino wrote: 26 Mar 2020, 03:28 This is a book whose importance can not be overestimated, especially in modern-day. This is a great review as well.
I agree with you.
Thanks for commenting.
Happy reading to us!
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

It's really disheartening when people lose their lives to save others. I hope this book does not dwell much on that, to avoid emotional reactions from someone like me.
Misael Carlos
Currently Reading:

Post by Misael Carlos »

Cynthia_Oluchi wrote: 26 Mar 2020, 15:21 It's really disheartening when people lose their lives to save others. I hope this book does not dwell much on that, to avoid emotional reactions from someone like me.
It was not the book's focus, neither were there graphic presentations. It was only briefly touched for purposes of presenting a whole, complete picture of the topic.
Princepetr10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Princepetr10 »

I didn’t get the first 5 pages when I was reading this book , but I later got the humor , the writer did a very good work here.
Princepetr10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Princepetr10 »

Cynthia_Oluchi wrote: 26 Mar 2020, 15:21 It's really disheartening when people lose their lives to save others. I hope this book does not dwell much on that, to avoid emotional reactions from someone like me.
Very disheartening , it teaches a good lesson and loyalty .
Salma_asa
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by Salma_asa »

You wrote an wonderful review! I enjoyed reading it. I may read this book as well!
praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-anyi.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by praise+anyi »

We really need this apt knowledge at a time like this. I applaud the author for sharing his gathered experiences for care givers and parents to learn from. Beautiful review!
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I wish the author cited examples from other nations, as this would have given the book a greater sense of universality.
Great review!
Bet on Me! :idea:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”