Official Review: Insight 20/20: Applying Lessons to Advan...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Official Review: Insight 20/20: Applying Lessons to Advan...

Post by Laura Lee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Insight 20/20: Applying Lessons to Advance in Life and Career" by Wanda Booth.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Insight 20/20: Applying Lessons to Advance in Life and Career by Wanda Booth is, hands down, one of the most inspiring books I have ever read. And by “inspiring,” I don’t mean that this is just another hard-luck, pull-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps kind of story. Insight 20/20 provides practical, step-by-step instructions on how you can make changes in your thoughts and habits to overcome difficulties and live your best life.

There’s no whining in this book. Everyone’s life has problems. Booth refers to these as SHILT. She explains: “SHILT stands from [sic] setbacks, hardships, illness, loss, and transitions we go through in life.” SHILT is simply part of life. It is how you respond to the SHILT in your life that determines whether you succumb or overcome.

Booth teaches how to take responsibility for one’s own situation through examples drawn from her own life. She then explains how to transform those circumstances into what you really want your life to be. The book presents 20 short essays, divided into five categories: personal development, health, relationships, leadership, and legacy. Homework assignments at the end of each chapter provide practical suggestions on how to move to the next step in the transformation process.

Booth is very qualified to write such a book. Born to a black teenager, she was raised by several generations of strong women: her mother, grandmother, and great-grandmothers. Booth is also a combat veteran. After joining the military at 17, she rose through the ranks to earn the rank of Major. She commanded in Iraq where, frequently, she was the only female officer. Through it all, she learned how to mentor others and nurture relationships. She built a sterling reputation as an officer who led with courage and compassion.

It is impossible to pinpoint a single element I enjoyed the most. Booth has an incredible ability to take the most profound insights and distill them down into simple statements that stick in the mind and continue to inspire long after the book is finished. I also liked how she illustrated her various lessons with stories from her own life. In fact, I enjoyed these stories so much that I only wish she had worked in more of them. While glancing references are made to the author’s Christian beliefs, the book is equally appropriate for pagans, atheists, agnostics, and those of other religious persuasions.

The one area that needs improvement is the editing. Grammatical mistakes, missing words, and incorrect words abound. The book desperately needs to be professionally edited. I regret that, with so many grammatical errors, I am unable to give this book a higher rating. The content certainly deserves four out of four stars. As it is, however, I can only give three out of four stars. Understand, however, that the loss of one star is due solely to editing issues and nothing else.

I read this book once as a reviewer. I am now going to go back and read it again, this time taking the time to do the homework assignments that close each chapter. If you feel stuck in a rut and as though you have been uselessly spinning your wheels trying to get out, I invite you to read Insight 20/20. You won’t regret it!

Insight 20/20: Applying Lessons to Advance in Life and Career
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like it is quite a useful book for individuals dealing with stagnancy. I like that it has some assignments after every chapter to really put the learning to use. Thanks for your helpful review!
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 16:57 This sounds like it is quite a useful book for individuals dealing with stagnancy. I like that it has some assignments after every chapter to really put the learning to use. Thanks for your helpful review!
Thanks for taking the time to read it and leave a comment, Stephanie Elizabeth. It really is a fantastic book, and the first one, as a reviewer, where I want to go read it again. :lol:
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
Joshua Jose
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshua-jose.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by Joshua Jose »

The homework assignments part is interesting. Sounds like a book that would have an impact on someone's life,must read.
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Joshua Jose wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 09:56 The homework assignments part is interesting. Sounds like a book that would have an impact on someone's life,must read.
Thanks for your comment, Joshua. Yes, I'm looking forward to reading it again and doing the homework assignments. I didn't have time to do it while reading it for the review, but it's a really great book.
Laura Lee

NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

SHILT happens. :mrgreen2: Seriously, it's true that we find obstacles during our lives, so how we react to them is crucial for our future. There are things that we can't control, which means that we must do our best to work on the things we can control, so practical tips are useful to improve the way we do that. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

NetMassimo wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 08:27 SHILT happens. :mrgreen2: Seriously, it's true that we find obstacles during our lives, so how we react to them is crucial for our future. There are things that we can't control, which means that we must do our best to work on the things we can control, so practical tips are useful to improve the way we do that. Thank you for your great review!
Yeah, I thought "Shilt happens" was a clever way to phrase it, too. LOL It really is a great book. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!
Laura Lee

Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Wow, SHILT aptly describes the 'downs' of life. Because we are always learning, this sounds like an interesting coping lesson. Its a shame about the errors.

Thanks for the great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Cotwani wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 10:33 Wow, SHILT aptly describes the 'downs' of life. Because we are always learning, this sounds like an interesting coping lesson. Its a shame about the errors.

Thanks for the great review!
Thanks for stopping by! It really is a great book. :D
Laura Lee

Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

This book promises to be a very educative one. I look forward to seeing what it has in store. The errors are quite disturbing though. Thanks for the honest review.
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Ogoskino wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 00:41 This book promises to be a very educative one. I look forward to seeing what it has in store. The errors are quite disturbing though. Thanks for the honest review.
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Yes, I really hope the author edits the book professionally. It is so well-written, the content deserves to be professionally edited.
Laura Lee

Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

I love it when a book has instructions to follow and is specific. Especially step-by-step instructions. Considering that it is one of the best inspirational books you have ever read, it prompted me to read it too!
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

ivana7 wrote: 25 Mar 2020, 03:53 I love it when a book has instructions to follow and is specific. Especially step-by-step instructions. Considering that it is one of the best inspirational books you have ever read, it prompted me to read it too!
That's great, Ivana! I hope you enjoy it, too. Yes, I thought having some practical steps to apply was a really great addition to the book.
Laura Lee

Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

Homework assignments at the end of each chapter provide practical suggestions on how to move to the next step in the transformation process.
I could definitely use some of this... Thanks for the review!
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I still have a bit of self-help fatigue, so I'm not at all inclined to read another book in this genre. This one, however, seems like it's worth a shot. I hope the author releases an edited version though.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”