Official Review: Raptor Canyon by A.W. Baldwin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: Raptor Canyon by A.W. Baldwin

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Raptor Canyon" by A.W. Baldwin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Relic is a hermit who is making moonshine gin under a deep sandstone ledge in a canyon when smoke is noticed in the distance. While going to explore the disturbance, he observes three men (Lynch, Schmidt, and an artist) coming in his direction. Deciding to hide until they pass, he sees Lynch and the artist arguing. Then, Lynch fatally shoots the artist. The injured man is left to die but not before he murmurs the word “hoax” to Relic. Not comprehending what that means, Relic looks at the sandstone wall the three men had been staring at and sees some dinosaur petroglyphs that look old but are new. He decides to investigate the building site where the smoke was coming from to try to figure out what’s going on. Lynch sights him lurking in the area and sends his drone up to investigate, which Relic shoots down.

Wyatt is a young lawyer who works for a prominent law firm. He is ordered by his boss, Todd Winford, to go with him on a trip to Utah. They journey to the building site of a high-end resort in Raptor Canyon. Winford is met by Schmidt and Lynch after they reach the tents, and he dismisses Wyatt. However, Wyatt forgot his computer in Winford’s tent. While going back to obtain it, he overhears them talking. The three men are in a partnership and own Raptor Canyon, LLC, the company that possesses the land and the building project. Since Winford is keeping his involvement a secret and has negotiated a commercial loan agreement for the company, this is an ethics violation and illegal.

Pondering what to do, Wyatt proceeds to the food tent where Relic has also gone to scout things out and to get some free food. Lynch spots Relic and shouts for him to stop, but Wyatt thinks they realize he knows their secret and is yelling at him. Relic starts running; frustrated and angered, Lynch begins shooting. Thinking he is being shot at, Wyatt takes off after Relic. This is how the run for their lives begins.

Raptor Canyon: A Relic Series Novel by A.W. Baldwin is an action-packed, thrilling story told from the third-person point of view. Mr. Baldwin possesses a knack for weaving a tale that is captivating, with hair-raising experiences that will have your muscles tensed up and your heart pounding. His descriptions assist the reader in visualizing the magnificent scenery and the characters in the novel. The intriguing plot, with its multiple twists and a dash of humor, is my favorite part of the novel. This is the second book in the series, but it can be read as a standalone novel, although there are a few threads left hanging.

The book is separated into frequent sections, each dealing with alternating characters. However, there are no headings for the divisions. Most of the time, it is easy to comprehend when the new section begins because the previous page ends partway down. Occasionally, the preceding page ends at the bottom of the page, making it a little harder to realize that a new section is about to begin. This is the only thing I didn’t enjoy about the book, and it could be easily remedied by labeling the sections as chapters. However, it wasn’t that distracting and not worth taking a star off for.

The character development sometimes suffers in action-packed books. However, this is not the case here. Relic is my favorite character. He is rugged and fearless, and although a loner, he does not hesitate to help Wyatt when needed. He isn’t averse to going outside of the law. Being used to living in the wild, he knows and appreciates every ridge and cliff in the canyons.

This exciting book achieves a rating of four out of four stars because it kept me enthralled all the way through. I found only six minor errors in the entire book. I enthusiastically recommend it to anyone who enjoys mesmerizing, fast-paced novels. There is no sex in the story; however, there are a few mild profanities and some violent scenes. Subsequently, it is unsuitable for small children.

Raptor Canyon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Shabram22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Breaking the Chain by Patricia Rossi

Post by Shabram22 »

This sounds like an exciting book to read, although I can't really imagine the summary you have provided. I guess I need to read the book to understand. Thank you for your review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Shabram22 wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 02:34 This sounds like an exciting book to read, although I can't really imagine the summary you have provided. I guess I need to read the book to understand. Thank you for your review!
Thanks for reading my review and commenting. I hope you get a chance to read the book. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I’m glad this book was a 4-star book! I had thought about reviewing this one so I’ll definitely add it to my want-to-read shelf. Thanks for your fantastic review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 09:11 I’m glad this book was a 4-star book! I had thought about reviewing this one so I’ll definitely add it to my want-to-read shelf. Thanks for your fantastic review!
Thank you, my friend! I really think you will enjoy it!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

You got me at dash of humor! I love stories that include just that small bit of humor to break things up. Thanks for the review of this one!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

You had me at sandstone hermits making moonshine! But then throw in an artist, a touch of murder, and some dinosaur doodlings and THEN you have an undeniably fascinating novel. Great review!
Odette Chace
Favorite Book: The History of Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 576
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odette-chace.html
Latest Review: Everyday Pocket Poetry by LoAnn Twedt

Post by Odette Chace »

I was hoping this book would focus more on dinosaurs, based on the title. However, it seems like they are mostly used as a backdrop for the action. Thanks for a great review.
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

Shoots Relic down? I don't think he does tho. Intriguing review. Thanks.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

The thrill, tension and multiple twists are what I like in my stories and this book portrays these features. Thanks for noting that in your review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

kandscreeley wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 11:24 You got me at dash of humor! I love stories that include just that small bit of humor to break things up. Thanks for the review of this one!
I agree; I do as well! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 11:52 You had me at sandstone hermits making moonshine! But then throw in an artist, a touch of murder, and some dinosaur doodlings and THEN you have an undeniably fascinating novel. Great review!
I thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks for reading my review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Odette Chace wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 12:19 I was hoping this book would focus more on dinosaurs, based on the title. However, it seems like they are mostly used as a backdrop for the action. Thanks for a great review.
Yes, there are no dinosaurs in the story. However, I think you would still enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Ogoskino wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 15:25 Shoots Relic down? I don't think he does tho. Intriguing review. Thanks.
Lynch begins shooting, but Relic runs away with Wyatt following behind him. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Nerea wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 03:33 The thrill, tension and multiple twists are what I like in my stories and this book portrays these features. Thanks for noting that in your review.
You are welcome! I think you would enjoy this book a lot!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”