Official Review: Elvenfold Hammerquest by Brex Francorum

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Official Review: Elvenfold Hammerquest by Brex Francorum

Post by Adina Lutinger »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Elvenfold Hammerquest" by Brex Francorum.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Something terrible happened in the Vale World: the great hammer of the Green Dragon King Highborn was stolen. A hammer might not sound like such a big loss, but that's only because you are not familiar with the Vale World yet. The giants are planning to take over the Vale World, and if the hammer won't be restored soon, there will be no way to stop them. The Vale World would become a miserable place to live in, and the elves can't let it happen. Five elven heroes are sent to make things right, but little do they know that they are not alone on their journey: a young elf named Dazza is following them, and he is going to change everything.

In his book, "Elvenfold Hammerquest", Brex Francorum introduces us to a fascinating world filled with unique creatures and interesting tales. The author did a great job in portraying the Vale World and its creatures. This is impressive, because not only are there so many different creatures in the Vale World, but most of them are divided into various species or clans, and each specie or clan is unique in its own way. The author gave each specie or clan a character of its own and drew a live picture of all of them. The author created a live picture not only of each specie or clan separately but also of the society they form. We get to know each specie or clan, its rules, its culture, and its interactions within itself and with the other species and clans around. In addition, the author embeds many engaging and interesting tales during the book, and they taught me a lot about the Vale World and its creatures. I like how the author let us get to know the Vale World so deeply. His detailed and colorful descriptions brought the Vale World to life in my head.

Another thing I like about the book is the well-constructed plot and the way it contributes to the character development. The book consists of several storylines that don't seem connected at first, but as the story goes on you see how they converge. There are many characters in the book, and each storyline revolves around a different character or a group of characters. I liked how each character is part of a different journey, and how each journey brings new sides out of the characters, makes them grow and evolve, and let us get to know them better. I particularly enjoyed Dazza's character development. At the beginning of the book, he is a curious and a bit impulsive young lad who always seeks adventures, gets into trouble, and plays in being an adult. During his journey, he learns to think before he acts, to manage on his own, and to be careful when it's needed. He matures a lot and discovers new powers within himself. He copes with difficult situations that only few of his age would be able to manage, finds his destiny, and literally becomes an adult in many ways. This is a huge character development, and that is just one example of how the characters in the book change and evolve during their journey.

With all that said, the book has some aspects to improve. Something about the way that the story is told creates distance between the reader and the characters. There are too many instances where events and feelings in the book are told and not shown. For example, when Dazza finally meets the five heroes, it's reported to us that they are very surprised to see him, ask him a lot of questions, and he answers them all nervously with honesty and humility. This is one of the many instances where I wanted the author to show us the events and the feelings of the characters instead of reporting them. Moreover, some of the reports in the book are missing significant details. For instance, at the beginning of the book there is a scene where Dazza eavesdrops the Elven Council and decides to follow the heroes on their journey. We are told that the things he heard in the council made him feel strong emotions like startle, excitement, and more. However, we don't get to know what were the things that he heard. It's true that we can guess the subject of the conversation by the summary of the book, but this is not enough. When you read a book, you want to feel that you are there with the characters. You want to hear what they hear, see what they see, and feel what they feel. This is what enables you to get attached to the characters and feel part of their journey. In this book, it was missing. In addition, for some reason, there is almost no direct speech in the book, only reported one. This means that we rarely "hear" the characters talk. Instead, the author constantly uses sentences like "he said that…", "she let him know that she…", and so on. This felt very unnatural and contributed to the distance between the reader and the characters.

Another weakness of the book is the many errors it contains. Typo, spelling and punctuation mistakes appeared frequently in the book, more than ten times. The book could use some better editing.

For these reasons, I can't give the book four stars. To be honest, in the beginning, I wasn't even sure it will reach three stars. I wasn't pulled into the story right away. The issues I had with the narrative made it hard for me to get attached to the characters and feel part of their journey. However, as the story proceeded, I found myself more and more caught in the story and attached to the characters. Though the issues with the narrative kept bothering me, I enjoyed the book and think it deserves 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to people who enjoy fantasy and adventures. The book is appropriate for children and adults alike, but children might find it difficult to follow the events.

Elvenfold Hammerquest
View: on Bookshelves
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

It sounds like a great quest. I wish the editing could be better. Thanks for the review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Adina Lutinger »

Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 11:12 It sounds like a great quest. I wish the editing could be better. Thanks for the review!
Thank you for your comment!
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

Seems like the author developed the Vale World really well, including its characters, though the storytelling needs more work. Thanks for the review!
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Science fiction and fantasy are always thrilling. I like that the plot is well-developed and that it positively affects the character development. This sounds like an intriguing book to consider. Thanks for the detailed review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Adina Lutinger »

Charlyt wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 03:11 Seems like the author developed the Vale World really well, including its characters, though the storytelling needs more work. Thanks for the review!
Exactly. Thank you for reading and commenting!
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Adina Lutinger »

Nerea wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 03:38 Science fiction and fantasy are always thrilling. I like that the plot is well-developed and that it positively affects the character development. This sounds like an intriguing book to consider. Thanks for the detailed review.
I hope you will enjoy it. Thank you for reading and commenting!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed your synopsis of the book and was disappointed with the errors. Dazza does sound like and intriguing character. Thanks for the recommendation.
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Adina Lutinger »

kdstrack wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 13:26 I enjoyed your synopsis of the book and was disappointed with the errors. Dazza does sound like and intriguing character. Thanks for the recommendation.
Thank you so much for your kind comment!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

That's one important hammer there. I hope the five elves plus little Dazza bring it back home. The author also needs the hammer to nail it!
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Ah, the show-don't-tell conundrum. But there seems to be some good worldbuilding here, so I do hope the book gets a revised edition. Thanks for the review.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

The name "Dazza" is similar to the name "Drizzt". Perhaps the author was inspired by the books of Robert Salvatore?

Anyway, thanks for the honest review.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

A good world-building is crucial in a fantasy novel. Some of the author's choices seem strange, but overall this seems an intriguing book. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

Aha! Now I see what you mean. Definitely readers need to be in the middle of the action, not just be told about it.
As I was reading your review I was prepared to say that the author must be a very skilled story-teller to keep the readers' attention with so many characters and clans, plots, and sub-plots.
It seems he managed to do that. I must read the book too.
Great review! :tiphat:
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Adina Lutinger »

inaramid wrote: 25 Mar 2020, 02:57 Ah, the show-don't-tell conundrum. But there seems to be some good worldbuilding here, so I do hope the book gets a revised edition. Thanks for the review.
Yes, I hope so too. This book could be so much better if these issues were fixed. Thank you so much for reading and commenting!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”