Official Review: Rogue Genes by Jardine Henry Hart

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Official Review: Rogue Genes by Jardine Henry Hart

Post by Nisha Ward »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rogue Genes" by Jardine Henry Hart.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There’s something about coincidence that begs for a story. I don’t know what it is, but I think a story without coincidences is one that wouldn’t work. After all, you need things to line up just right for your narrative to progress, and that’s not possible without them.

The thing about Jardine Henry Hart’s Rogue Genes isn’t that it has coincidences in the story. It’s that it’s built on them. Everything about the book’s story falls into place so neatly it stretches the bounds of credibility.

So why would I give it 3 out of 4 stars then?

Well, it has to do with how much joy I got out of it.

Following Tommy McConachie through a whirlwind of a few weeks, Rogue Genes is the tale of his family. More accurately, it’s the story of how Tommy loses his adoptive mother, only to discover his connection to two separate, yet coincidentally connected, families.

The Steels and the Gleesons each have their own pull on Tommy, and each connection brings with it its own set of danger from which he can’t escape. The problem is, escape isn’t what Tommy wants, not exactly.

To say that I enjoyed this book is an understatement. Each page teased the next one and I couldn’t wait to get to it. That I gave in to the pressures of daily life and didn’t devour the book instead was a close thing, and one that I’m grateful to my family for putting up with.

Tommy was so likeable that, given the chance, I might have ignored everything just to read more about him. Adopted by the nurse who helped his biological mother give birth, he’s all charm and playfulness right up until you cross him. Then may God help your soul. He will stop at nothing to get his revenge, no matter who stands in his way.

However, that anger and violence is as equally matched by his passion and love. It’s a major part of why I liked the book.

Tommy is too perfect, at first. He’s the perfect son, good enough to get into the army’s Special Forces, supposedly a great lover and more. Yet, when he falls for Claire Steel, we get to see the side of him that doubts. We get to see him falter and wonder and hesitate over his decisions.

We also get to see him fail, if only for a moment, and that’s the part I liked best about the book. It showed us that Tommy isn’t as perfect as he’s made out to be, and that he could be just like the rest of us.

The other characters are mostly as likeable as he is. Claire, for example, is a delight to read. She’s not a damsel but she’s not an action hero either. She’s simply a woman who loves Tommy and has her own life. There’s also Sam, the daughter of the Gleeson family, who’s described as a predator and yet, she also has a soft side that only adds to her strength.

Unfortunately, the book does have its cons. In addition to several errors, the characters, while dynamic, are rather shallow. There isn’t anything to them beneath the surface, making the coincidences that bring them together more unbelievable than they should be. The coincidences themselves are also too numerous and they make certain parts of the book, such as the late introduction of a mystical aspect, seem more than a bit nonsensical.

All in all, this is a flawed book. While I stand by my rating, I wish there was more depth and that each coincidence was more meaningful. That being said, it’s a delightful read if you want something light and fast-paced, and thriller fans will love it. Fair warning, though. There’s some light erotica and brief mentions of rape within the book itself.

Rogue Genes
View: on Bookshelves
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Amberlily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberlily.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Amberlily »

I agree that those issues can bring down a book by a star. What is this book about though? I didn't get a clear idea of the plot.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Amberlily wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 14:56 I agree that those issues can bring down a book by a star. What is this book about though? I didn't get a clear idea of the plot.
Ah, sorry. Tommy finds out who his family is and seeks revenge on their behalf.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

It sounds like a delightful collection of characters in this book, although I wish they had a bit more depth. Thanks for an honest review!
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

unamilagra wrote: 20 Mar 2020, 21:39 It sounds like a delightful collection of characters in this book, although I wish they had a bit more depth. Thanks for an honest review!
I feel the same. Thanks for stopping by!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Coincidences are a common device used in fiction, but an abuse can be of detriment, so I understand that you can be underwhelmed by such abuse. Despite that, this seems a funny thriller. Thank you for your informative review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

NetMassimo wrote: 21 Mar 2020, 12:26 Coincidences are a common device used in fiction, but an abuse can be of detriment, so I understand that you can be underwhelmed by such abuse. Despite that, this seems a funny thriller. Thank you for your informative review!
Well put, and agreed. Thanks for reading!
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

A story built on coincidence sounds appealing. Tommy's character seems to be well-rounded. I like that. Thank you for your descriptive review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Nerea wrote: 22 Mar 2020, 23:51 A story built on coincidence sounds appealing. Tommy's character seems to be well-rounded. I like that. Thank you for your descriptive review.
He is pretty well-rounded. Thanks for reading!
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

This review makes me want to read the book. I hope I would find it as interesting as you did. Thanks for this super-review.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Ogoskino wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 15:33 This review makes me want to read the book. I hope I would find it as interesting as you did. Thanks for this super-review.
:oops:

Thanks for reading!
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

I guess to many coincidences in a story may seem like a plot armor, but the book does seem interesting, and I like a good thriller. Thanks for the review!
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Charlyt wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 02:56 I guess to many coincidences in a story may seem like a plot armor, but the book does seem interesting, and I like a good thriller. Thanks for the review!
It certainly was both these things. Thanks for reading!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

The story which revolves around Tommy and depicts his all his personality traits, which makes the character admirable. Hope the author looks into the shortcomings that are raised about this book. Thanks for your honest review though.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Ogoskino wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 15:33 This review makes me want to read the book. I hope I would find it as interesting as you did. Thanks for this super-review.
This is really "super-review"! This book is not quite for me, but the review is really written wonderfully. :D

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”