Official Review: Thicker Than Blood by Don Brobst

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Thicker Than Blood by Don Brobst

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Thicker Than Blood" by Don Brobst.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How much would you compromise to protect your loved ones? Would you commit treason? Dr. Bailey Pogue is forced between seemingly impossible choices as he struggles to do the right thing in Thicker Than Blood by Don Brobst. After Pogue's colleague and several employees are murdered at the office building where he works, he learns from local authorities that his close friend, Connor, has not been honest about his identity. On the morning of the murders, Connor offered Pogue a position as a concierge physician for his wealthy family; he neglected to mention that his father is the Chicago mafia boss, Ben Gambrel. After Connor admits that he is Nick Gambrel, he uses Pogue's gambling debt against him as leverage and makes him an offer that he can't refuse without endangering his family. Feeling he has no choice, Pogue accepts the offer but also agrees to work undercover with the FBI. However, after Pogue uncovers the crime syndicate's connections to political espionage and human trafficking, his fifteen-year-old daughter is kidnapped. Now he must work closely with the CIA, but can Pogue rescue his daughter without blowing his cover?

Although the book is a work of fiction, the synopsis notes that "...it is inspired by real events." Brobst delivers a fast-paced thriller that is difficult to put down. He combines a suspenseful plot with a cast of well-developed characters. From the beginning of the story to the end, readers will relate to the protagonist, Pogue, as he wrestles the realistic conflict between protecting his family and doing the right thing.

While the thrilling plot initially drew me to the book, it was the exceptional characterization that kept me turning "just one more page." Pogue is flawed but relatable. Although he is fiercely devoted to his family, when the story begins, he is confiding to his friend about digging the family finances out of the hole due to his gambling debts, a situation he has kept hidden from his wife. As the story unfolds, Brobst effectively conveys the complicated choices that Pogue faces. He struggles with his conscience, and it isn't always clear who he can trust, which adds to the plot's intrigue and heightens the suspense.

In the same vein, the supporting characters and antagonists are equally fleshed out. Brobst convincingly provides multilayered players; their loyalties, motives, and choices are anything but predictable. In a thriller that features villains who draw the line at certain crimes and CIA operatives willing to commit treason, the lines between right and wrong are blurred, keeping readers guessing.

There isn't anything I dislike about this exceptionally edited page-turner. Although it deals with mature themes, including plot-related violence and human trafficking, the book contains no profanity or explicit sexual content. I rate the suspenseful thriller 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend the book to fans of suspense and espionage.

Thicker Than Blood
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Wow, this sounds like one I can't let pass. It is a hard place to be - protecting your family or doing the right thing. And having the CIA and villian sometimes reversing roles adds to the intrigue!

Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

A thrilling plot and well-developed characters make this book sound great. Thank you for a great review! :tiphat: :tiphat:
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

It is really interesting to see how Pogue rescues his daughter without blowing his cover. This is a concise review.
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

Wow, this sounds like a lot of action, blackmail, betrayal and family. Looks like a lot of fun to read. Awesome review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I appreciate the book is clean. I am curious about the moral dilemma. It would be tough to choose between your family or doing the right thing. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

I appreciate the book is error-free. It will cause a free flow while reading. The book is all about family, friendship and trust, it is a book I would love to read.
Salma_asa
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by Salma_asa »

The plot sounds really engaging. I may read this book as soon as I get a chance.
Princepetr10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Princepetr10 »

This book shows real love . It teaches how to protect your love ones in different ways . Life is some times Rough but we have to do what’s right .
Jose2004
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jose2004 »

This sounds like a good thirilling book and that's a really good plot got between family and loyalty. Sound like a really good book and would love to read
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Cotwani wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 13:23 Wow, this sounds like one I can't let pass. It is a hard place to be - protecting your family or doing the right thing. And having the CIA and villian sometimes reversing roles adds to the intrigue!

Great review!
Thank you!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

mmm17 wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 15:19 A thrilling plot and well-developed characters make this book sound great. Thank you for a great review! :tiphat: :tiphat:
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ogoskino wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 15:22 It is really interesting to see how Pogue rescues his daughter without blowing his cover. This is a concise review.
Thank you for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Laurina_Olowo wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 16:19 Wow, this sounds like a lot of action, blackmail, betrayal and family. Looks like a lot of fun to read. Awesome review.
Thank you!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 19:23 I appreciate the book is clean. I am curious about the moral dilemma. It would be tough to choose between your family or doing the right thing. Thanks!
Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”