Review by Irene_A -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Irene_A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-a.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Review by Irene_A -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Irene_A »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In this nonfictional story about success and triumphing adversities, Jorge P. Newbery takes you along with him to a journey many would not surmount. Energetic and relentless in his endeavors, he began working at the age of seven, garnering work experiences such as delivering newspaper, selling ice-cream, becoming a bicycle store clerk and as he grew, opened a record label, became a bike racer and venturing into real estate, becoming a loan officer, owning rental properties and finally creating American Homeowner Preservation. Most of these achievements, you would later find were not without their individual difficulties. The most of these challenges was buying an apartment complex that threatened to leave him destitute and that dug him deep into the pit hole of debt. Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands, as he titled the book, was Newbery taking on life’s challenges regardless of his readiness. He finds tackling and overcoming problems thrilling, so much so that he purchased the complex, ignoring the pending warning of doom. Lo and behold, this one drastic move cost him his lifelong fortune and thereby needing insight to dig himself out the debt hole.

The book consists of ten chapters, six of which are divided into subchapters to further breakdown different aspect and route he took to becoming successful, losing it all and rebuilding from scratch. The author’s achievements were chronologically narrated, along with picture inserts thus making it an engaging easy read.

What I loved most about the narrative was that it had the glaring message of never relenting on one’s dreams; and that the journey to the top requires starting from the bottom. Despite being a high school dropout, I admired the author’s zeal to seek knowledge on any material he was not familiar with or that needed further clarity. I did not dislike anything about this book, it was well written.

There were barely any typo, spelling or grammatical errors. I was only able to spot one, which was insignificant and did not detract from the story. Additionally, minimal profane words were used, two of which are reference to the title of a song. I rate Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery a 4 out of 4 stars because it was professionally edited and also he did a beautiful job recounting his life. One of the many morals of the story is to know when to quit without being overly optimistic.

To those seeking inspiration as they journey through becoming entrepreneurs, those who fell off the success ladder, teenagers and young adults creating their path in life, I do recommend this book. Religious and non-religious people can read this book.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂
Dr_ollayemi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dr-ollayemi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dr_ollayemi »

What I like about this book is the fact that the author was not about selling to the readers how he suddenly got lucky turning about his financial woes, rather he gave us the steps he took and he encourages others to look inwards for the solutions to their problems as no one can really help them... I recommend the book to all
Irene_A
Currently Reading:

Post by Irene_A »

AvocaDebo621 wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 03:49 The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂
Exactly! Thank you :)
Irene_A
Currently Reading:

Post by Irene_A »

Dr_ollayemi wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 11:38 What I like about this book is the fact that the author was not about selling to the readers how he suddenly got lucky turning about his financial woes, rather he gave us the steps he took and he encourages others to look inwards for the solutions to their problems as no one can really help them... I recommend the book to all
Right! That is exactly what I loved about the book, the fact that it's straight to the point without selling anything to the readers.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I've read this author's next book, "Debt Cleanse," and it's just as good. An excellent guide to coping with failure and bouncing back. Thanks for a great review. :D
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This certainly seems like an inspiring book for those who are trying to better themselves. It just shows that hard work and perseverance can help create the American dream. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Meenashiva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenashiva.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington
2024 Reading Goal: 860
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Meenashiva »

This is certainly an emotional and inspiring book for those who are at a low point of their life. This book goes through the ups and downs of the author's life. Thanks for the great review and I would definitely read this book👍👍
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a great book with several encouraging words about the benefit of hard-work. Great review!
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”