Review by Artizi -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Artizi -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones caught my attention from its very first page. Jorge P. Newbery, the book's author, narrates his fascinating, inspiring story in a way which doesn't allow the reader ever to grow bored. Though I'm a big fan of autobiographies, I feel most of the times long and dull passages are one of the genre's main downfall, and yet Newbery manages to avoid this usual flaw smoothly.

The book's title is explained straight away: The author defines burn zones as moments where one's willpower and determination are put to the test. Being a cycling aficionado, he experienced such moments often and managed to pull through them through sheer resolve. Where others failed and gave up, he persevered. These burn zones, he assures the audience, appear in everyday life as well, and one must learn to overcome the emotional, physical or mental pain and persist: The end results will be worth the effort.

Jorge's recount of his life is utterly fascinating, and I found myself unable to put the book down. He tells us about his childhood and the first job he earned; delivering newspapers. From there he guides us onto his youth and successful career, working on real state and making millions off the market.

One of the facts I loved most about Burn Zones was that Jorge never comes across as unlikable or arrogant. He is confident and determined, yes, but in a relatable and down-to-earth way.

Burn Zones will guide its reader through what at first seems like a life filled with effort and success, but soon takes several sharp turns.

Jorge lets us know about his fails and struggles, which makes his every achievement even more impressive. He takes the time to explain his mistakes and provides the audience with the life lessons he learned from these tough times without ever coming across as preachy or full of himself.

Newbery's writing is superb, and I was static not to notice any typos of importance, which is a rare treat. I'm fairly certain this book was professionally edited, and if it was not, I find its lack of noticeable grammar mistakes even more impressive.

For all the reasons mentioned above, I rate Burn Zones 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it both to fans of autobiographies and inspiring, moving stories. I believe even people who prefer fiction novels would enjoy Burn Zones, though perhaps it might be a bit complex for younger audiences.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

You got it well in this review. Interesting and enjoyable. This story is also to my liking. It is very inspiring, another rags-to-riches story. Good luck with your future endeavors.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Swamp witch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swamp-witch.html
Latest Review: Evolution's Edge by J.K. Pascall , Aaron E. Davis

Post by Swamp witch »

Apologies for the delay in my appearance, how things work are still a bit of a mystery to me. I enjoy enormously the review work but all the extra bells and whistles have me somewhat bamboozled so please forgive my tardiness. I have never enjoyed autobiographies yet your review is sufficient for me to consider making this an exception. I cannot promise to get to it quickly but your accolade for the absence of 'long and dull passages is a great selling point. It is that horror alone which keeps me from the genre.
babcockar
Currently Reading: Love in the Time of Cholera
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babcockar.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by babcockar »

I just read this book as well, so I really appreciate seeing another perspective on Newbery's work. Great review!
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂
xuanmaii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xuanmaii.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by xuanmaii »

I have also read the book and I must agree with the fact that Jorge never seemed to be conceited even though he talked about his own success. Great review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”