Official Review: Iowa Days and Other Adventures

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Official Review: Iowa Days and Other Adventures

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Iowa Days and Other Adventures" by David Robert James.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Iowa Days and Other Adventures is David Robert James’ memoir. James starts the book with his family’s German and Native American heritage. He proceeds to reminisce fondly about his childhood in his grandparents’ farm in Iowa. James also shares his memories about moving to Richmond, California, with his parents, camping at Yellow Creek and building a cabin in Tahoe with his family, and the summer job at Lake Tahoe that changed his life.

What I liked the most about this memoir was that the author shares his memories with charm and love. I could tell that he remembers his childhood and teenage years with great fondness. I also could tell that James has a friendly and kind personality, although he gets a bit cocky when he talks about the car models he has had throughout his life. The admiration for his grandparents and parents is evident too. For example, his grandparents worked extra hard on the farm, and his mother was single when he was an infant. Moreover, James wrote the 384-pages-long memoir as if he was narrating his younger years to a friend. I found this writing approach pretty nice because I thought that having a conversation with him in person over tea must be a treat.

Some of his memories stood out to me. My favorite was when I read that his mother bought a land lot in Tahoe and designed a cabin. Then, she made all the family work on it and build it from the ground. I was shocked when I read about the car accident he had when he was driving home a girlfriend. I thought it was awesome that he spent a summer with his mother in their family cabin. That summer, he found a job in which he had to plan and build a waterwheel, which is still standing today.

Unfortunately, this memoir is in dire need of an editor. I found hundreds of grammatical, syntactic, punctuation, capitalization, and formatting errors. The fact that I found numerous errors page after page made it clear that this book did not pass through the hands of a professional editor. Even though I enjoyed James’ charming tone and stories, the blatant errors made the memoir a hard read. The errors constantly distracted me and, on numerous occasions, made the sentences challenging to understand. Another issue is that James stops the narration in some instances to explain how he took some literary liberties to tell the story of his ancestors. Also, he repeats himself sometimes when he goes back and forth in his timeline.

Unfortunately, I rate Iowa Days and Other Adventures 2 out of 4 stars. Even though I liked the author and some of his memories stood out to me, I cannot award the book three stars because it has hundreds of errors. If it had had less than ten mistakes, I would have given it three stars. For that to happen, an editor has to revise it. In this state, I would only recommend it to those who are into memoirs set in Iowa and California during the 1940s and 1950s and who would be able to stand the number of errors.

Iowa Days and Other Adventures
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

Memories shared with charm and love? I should be interested in a book of that nature. I just hope a better edition of the book is made.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

Cynthia_Oluchi wrote: 21 Mar 2020, 15:30 Memories shared with charm and love? I should be interested in a book of that nature. I just hope a better edition of the book is made.
The author has a great personality! He just needs an editor.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”