Official Review: Reflections by Kristina Bryson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Official Review: Reflections by Kristina Bryson

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Reflections" by Kristina Bryson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reflections: My Mad Memoirs! was authored by Kristine Bryson. It is approximately 154 pages long and consists of twenty chapters. The book is a collection of the author’s memories dating back to her early childhood in Kirkcaldy. The narration is in chronological order from the early 1970s.

What do you fondly recall about your early childhood years? Did you ever attempt doing anything naughty and risky alone or with a loyal friend? Did you have a peaceful home? Did you know what you wanted to do in college?

Kristine Bryson’s early life was filled with constant relocations to new places. Her father and mother made decisions to migrate without consulting their children. However, this specific period was filled with pleasant and memorable moments as well. Her love for animals blossomed at a young age, and she learned horse riding. Her family also possessed a caravan and the trips they made to caravan parks in Scotland are still imprinted in her mind. Some memories will undoubtedly make you chuckle with laughter, though. Who would manage to get away with drinking raw and unpasteurized milk in a milking parlor today? Well, Kristine did this. She also cannot forget the time when a fire started at the woods where she had been smoking stolen cigarettes with her friend, Jacqueline. One would think they stopped smoking in secret following that. However, Kristine and her friend discovered safer places to do so. This book is filled with many more enthralling memories.

Kristine has authored a fascinating book revealing both amusing and disheartening memories. They were written humorously, though, and consequently, readers will enjoy every bit of the book. The chronicling was intriguing, filled with mild humor, and also thought-provoking. What I liked most about the book was its unique ability to invoke memories of my own childhood. I could not keep myself from traveling down the memory lane to retrieve them. The author was also straightforward. She wrote about both the sweet and heart-wrenching moments. More importantly, she managed to pass across valuable lessons throughout the book. Some of the lessons included self-acceptance, hard work, taking responsibility and goal setting. The book also reveals much about the ups and downs faced by teenagers. These include the confusion when it comes to choosing a career and other challenges in and out of the school setting. There are many struggles that many people will identify with. They made the author’s journey relatable.

There is nothing I did not like about the book. The language employed was simple, and editing was professionally done as well. The book was gripping down to the concluding page, and it gave me a great deal to think about. Therefore, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I heartily recommend the book to all ardent fans of memoirs. It will appeal most to those who love pets and fancy activities like horse rearing and riding.

Reflections
View: on Bookshelves
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Odette Chace
Favorite Book: The History of Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 576
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odette-chace.html
Latest Review: Everyday Pocket Poetry by LoAnn Twedt

Post by Odette Chace »

This memoir sounds like a treat. Thanks for the great review.
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

Memoirs are everything for me! I like that this book also has a touch of humor, it'll make a smooth read, I believe. Thank you for reviewing!
Cherie Bastock
Currently Reading: The forgetting
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherie-bastock.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley

Post by Cherie Bastock »

Sounds like a gentle but fun read, which is just what I need now! I like how you use questions in your review. Gets the reader thinking.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

It's nice that Bryson was able to fill the pages with both amusing and disheartening memories, since reality is a combination of exactly that. I also fell in love with all sorts of animal species as a child, and those are some of my fondest recollections too! Thank you for your lovely review of this one.
praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-anyi.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by praise+anyi »

A good memoir is one that not only teaches it's reader one or two insightful lessons, is also filled with humor. I believe with the writing style Kristen used for this book, it's going to be a sumptuous meal for my eyes. Awesome review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”