Official Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Official Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Manasakd" by Kelly May Andrews.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Don’t be afraid to enter into the mystical land of Manasakd. When its power summons you, you may be disoriented and confused, but do not worry. Manasakd is a place of peace and tranquility where you will discover your gift and your spirit animal. A mentor will show you how to navigate the exotic land and find your place among the other gifted mentees in your class. Are you ready to discover who you are in the realm of Manasakd?

Manasakd, by Kelly May Andrews, is a young adult novel that explores the fictional land where the imagination runs wild. The main characters tell the story from their first-person points of view. The name of the person sharing the story is always indicated at the beginning of a new chapter. Still, a majority of the story follows Tali, a ten-year-old girl known as a legend throughout all the lands of Manasakd.

The first person Tali appeared to has earned the privilege to mentor the young legend. But who saw Tali first? The veterans of Manasakd are eager to claim her as their own for the perks of training a powerful being. A series of mysterious events keeps the plot rolling at a steady pace, and the end culminates in a trial to determine the identity of Tali’s true mentor. A few unanswered questions leave room for further installments in the series, and I eagerly hope to see more, as the book felt like an introduction to a vast world of possibilities and future stories.

What I liked most about this novel is the creativity of the author. Andrews has crafted an extensive system of different types of power, including Mystic, Intellectual, Visionary, Storm, Empath, and Healer. This first novel serves as a sort of orientation of the different classes of power, the rules of Manasakd, and an essential guide to the various aspects of the land. We get to learn about and explore the realms along with Tali as she makes her first few journeys through the mythic land.

The thing I liked least was some of the attitudes the characters had toward the adults in authority. One particular character, named Gunn, was repeatedly disrespectful towards the leader of Manasakd as well as his mentor. There was also some mild swearing, which did not bother me as an adult but made me cautious about recommending it to children even though it was otherwise appropriate for a younger audience.

Unfortunately, there were also quite a few editing issues with the copy I received—several typos and punctuation errors, but also a few inconsistencies with the spelling of character names. Therefore, I gave the book a 3 out of 4. A fun and engaging read for a young audience, this book may also appeal to readers who love magic and creativity. The book deals with controlling your emotions and discovering your gifts. There is some mild swearing, but no sexual content. One scene included a mountain lion killing another animal, but it was not graphic or detailed.

Manasakd
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

If it's readable enough to make me understand what's going on, I don't mind it. I'm always in the mood for more mythical and sorcery type of stories. Thanks for your review!
Erin Dydek
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

adamgreenrock wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 06:27 If it's readable enough to make me understand what's going on, I don't mind it. I'm always in the mood for more mythical and sorcery type of stories. Thanks for your review!
It’s definitely still readable. I’m every author’s worst nightmare—an eagle-eyed typo finder lol. I notice a lot of things that probably would not be distracting if you’re just looking for a fun book to read.

Thanks for stopping to read and comment!
Shabram22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Breaking the Chain by Patricia Rossi

Post by Shabram22 »

This sounds like a great book if I was a teenager. I might still read it because I like positive stories and this sounds like a good book to explore your own gifts. Thanks for a great review!
Sanju Lali
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A fictional land where imagination runs wild and the main characters tell the story from their point of view makes the story quite interesting. Thanks for your very insightful review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

This book sounds right up my alley. YA fiction with well developed magic systems are something I'm a sucker for.

Thank you for your review.
FalconFlyer101
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconflyer101.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by FalconFlyer101 »

As someone who has read and reviewed this book, I also enjoyed the variety of magic showcased in this book. Mystic, Intellectual, Visionary, Storm, Empath, and Healer all have different powers and that adds a level of uniqueness to this book. You made a good review that accurately represents this book. Good job! :D
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Look like interesting reading. Thank you for great review!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It certainly sounds as though the author has a vivid imagination. It's too bad about the profanity as it seems this book could be appealing to children as well. Thanks for your well-written and informative review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love young adult novels, and this one sounds right up my alley. I want to know my gift and my spirit animal. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Mystical lands with summoning powers, spirit animals, perks, and mentors?! What a colorful tale of delights. Thanks for your insightful review of this one!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 07:40
It’s definitely still readable. I’m every author’s worst nightmare—an eagle-eyed typo finder lol. I notice a lot of things that probably would not be distracting if you’re just looking for a fun book to read.

That makes the two of us!

The name of this mythical, magical place is a bit of a tongue twister. It's a good thing the main character is simply Tali.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

This book sounds quite peculiar! Thanks for a great review.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

This sounds like a very engaging book, and Tali seems like a really intersting character. I'm curious already. Thanks for the great review!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I love fantasy, and this one sounds fantastic. Thanks for the thorough and nice review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”