Official Review: Retribution by Mike peck

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Official Review: Retribution by Mike peck

Post by Wyland »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Retribution" by Mike peck.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After a long stint in the CIA and the army, Max Morano becomes a highly sought-after cat burglar, whose specialty is in compromising electronic gadgetry and doing the occasional wetwork. One night while on the prowl, Max alters his primary mission when he comes face to face with a shackled girl in Senator Hayes’ manse. He promptly, then, makes the break-in look like a burglary gone wrong and proceeds to confront the sleeping senator, an act that leads to the legislator’s death.

Michael Peck’s book Retribution brings into light the negative side of government lobbying. Even worse, the lobbyists are government operatives who occupy up to the highest political office in the U. S. Government. They’re not only corrupt and egotistical, but Max finds himself confronting an antagonistic adversary that’s well funded, coordinated, and with the backing of the underworld. Previously, however, the senator’s death drew the attention of top-notch police officers who are keen on unmasking the identity of the elusive killer.

Apart from playing their role effectively, the cops provide an additional source of conflict in the story. For starters, the profiles of the victims attract the attention of elite tactical units, such as the Hostage Rescue Team (HRT), as well as the local police. Earlier on in my reading, I was subjected to a comical moment when the no-nonsense Alexandria P. D’s Chief of the Detectives, Dean Roberts, threatened to tase Robert Bauer, an FBI special agent, for trying to snatch the case from him. Additionally, the role of the CIA in the storyline is held in utter contempt by their contemporaries because of the unbecoming behavior of its director, Leonard Mason.

There’s never a dull moment in the story. Further, to accentuate the fighting scenes, the novel’s chapters are short (accounts for the whopping 153 chapters in a 338-page book!), fast-paced, and exciting. Besides, the role of the Russian Mafia and the use of some cool gadgets by Max do wonders in establishing a modern setting to the narrative, even though I found the language a little bit too unsavory for my taste. The themes discussed by Peck are also relevant to today’s world and include child prostitution, extortion, and family ties.

As I conclude, the novel has a few editing errors that I’d like to highlight, including misplaced words, misspelled words, and some typographical errors. The errors were also enough to cause me to reduce the rating of the book by a star. Lastly, because of the themes broached, I feel this is a book every high school student and adult should read. At the same time, it’ll be less suitable for readers who dislike strong language and violence in their novels. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Retribution
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a thriller that also offer some food for thought in its depiction of government lobbying and its consequences. Thank you for your interesting review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

This sounds like a book where the characters, as well as the plot, sounds exciting and fascinating. Great work!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I also read this book, and I really enjoyed the action as well. I hope the author has at least cleaned up some of the errors since I read it though, I was finding multiple typos per page toward the end of the book. Great review!
Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

That's a crazy chapter count! Do you feel like it made it harder to read and stick to the storyline? It sounds Like an interesting story, thanks for reviewing it
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

This book sounds very engaging. I like it when a story has no dull moments and therefore it keeps my interst constantly at its peak. Thanks for the great review!
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Well, that's an exciting premise, if ever I saw one. The conflict here is also great. On the one hand, we're on Max's side because of what he found but, on the other, our protagonist is a thief and a murderer. It definitely colours our view of the police. Thanks for the review!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Valita Fernandes
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Valita Fernandes »

Just by reading the review I can tell it is going to be the best book a person who wants thrilled and wants to know what's going to happen in futher in the book. I recommend this book for readers such as my self to read if u want to be thrilled. The characters are very well written and the story line is also very amazing to read you can just easily imagine it in your head. :D

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”