Official Review: Lady Lawyer by Shelley L. Levisay

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: Lady Lawyer by Shelley L. Levisay

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lady Lawyer" by Shelley L. Levisay.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Defense lawyer, Lindsey Jones, agreed to take Matt Flowers’ case, she knew it would be her toughest case to date. Her client, nineteen-year-old Matt, had been accused of shooting his drug dealer and girlfriend at point-blank range. While battling the prosecution, who seems determined to convict her client at all costs, Lindsey’s personal life takes a hit. Despite her experience counseling clients through divorces and custody battles, when her marriage falls apart, Lindsey can’t seem to approach it with the same resolve she does her clients' cases. Meanwhile, her best friend and colleague, Regan, is dealing with her own set of problems at home. Will the two friends overcome the personal trials they’re going through? And will Lindsey be able to convince the jury of her client’s innocence? Is he really innocent?

Lady Lawyer: Small Town Justice by Shelley L. Levisay is a legal thriller that places readers on the front row seat of a murder hearing. The story is told from the first account of an attorney, whose personal life also becomes an open book to readers as she shares her life experiences.

This was a promising read by author Shelley L. Levisay, who weaved a captivating storyline with enough twists and turns to keep you invested in reading until the end. The subplots added depth and intrigue to the story. I liked that the main character was multi-dimensional; readers will find her easy to like and relatable. The author’s writing style also showed great potential as events and dialogues transitioned smoothly, giving the feel of a fast-paced read.

My favorite parts of the narrative were when Lindsey shared details about her career, dispelling some of the assumptions I had. You would think that murder cases would be one of the most dangerous cases for a lawyer to work on, right? I did too. However, according to Lindsey, there are two types of cases far riskier than murder cases. I was surprised by the revelation and you’ll have to read the book to find out.

Other aspects I liked were following Lindsey’s cases closely, especially the murder case. Also, the troubles at home were interesting to read. However, there are issues that marred my overall experience with this book. First, the novel didn’t seem to have been professionally edited; too many grammatical and punctuation errors, including missing words, punctuated the texts. Additionally, though the author’s writing showed promise it needs polishing and wordsmithing to take it to the next level.

The book would be best suited for those who enjoy legal and family drama. However, I reserve recommending this book until it’s professionally edited. Being a legal thriller, there are moderate descriptions of violence pertaining to the cases. This was a difficult book to rate because although it had glaring flaws, I still enjoyed it. I wavered between a 2- and 3-star rating but ultimately decided 3 stars would be too generous for the current state of the book. Therefore, I rate it 2 out of 4 stars. I can see this novel getting 4 stars in the future with a little more work to flesh out the stories and some much-needed professional editing.

Lady Lawyer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
En+kay
Currently Reading: The Hit
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by En+kay »

Close range shooting will definitely have lots of witnesses for the prosecution to present.
Thanks for the heads on in the review for the errors, am sure going to be thrilled reading how this murder case was unraveled
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

Two types of crimes riskier than murder crime? I never thought there could be one! I really have lots of respect for the Law profession, they have their concerns for their clients even when they go through tough times themselves. Thanks for the review!
praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-anyi.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by praise+anyi »

This book sure sounds interesting with the twist and turns you talked about that was added by the author. I pray the author recognizes the flaws you pinned out and corrects them.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Wait. What's more dangerous than a murder case? I need to know. Also, it sounds like a great book, if it can keep your attention despite the errors and lack of polish. Legal thrillers are hit or miss for me, so it's reassuring that this one seems to be more of a hit just from your excellent review.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel probably had some interesting potential, but from what you write it needed a better development and proofreading. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”