Official Review: Salvager by Lauren Joe Welch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Official Review: Salvager by Lauren Joe Welch

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Salvager" by Lauren Joe Welch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Salvager by Lauren Joe Welch is a mystery thriller set in a small town in Vermont called Collinsville. The story follows Mark Sloan, a carpenter by trade, struggling to get by after a tumultuous divorce. His ex-wife got the house he had single-handily remodeled, while he moved into a run-down apartment. She got a nice car, and he got an old truck; she got the two kids, he pays the child support. Life had thrown Mark quite a curve.

When Mark's full-time hours got cut at his carpentry job, he was desperate for an additional source of income. Without any previous experience, he applied for the position of reporter at the local newspaper. Al, the owner, hired him part-time. Before long, he got laid off from his carpentry job. Between his unemployment income and his part-time income from reporting, he barely made ends meet. Mark seemed to have a talent for reporting, and he discovered there were some substantial issues in the town of Collinsville that some people wanted to keep quiet. As he delved into investigating and writing about those issues, disconcerting things began to happen. Such as, his brake lines appeared to have been cut on his truck; a car ran him off the road while he was on his bike, and he suspected someone had been in his apartment and added peanut oil to his salad dressing, knowing he had a severe peanut allergy. Was someone trying to kill him? His reporting had angered several prominent residents of Collinsville who might be seeking revenge. Who wanted to silence Mark?

The storyline of this book is compelling, and the main characters are well developed; however, for a mystery thriller, the pace is slow. There are twists and turns, but none that kept me on the edge of my seat. Welch touches on some of the crucial issues in today's society. For instance, divorce and the effect it has on children; teenage self-mutilation by cutting as a stress reliever; global warming and alternate sources of energy; greed; infidelity; and nursing home mismanagement with patient neglect. However, some of the issues left unanswered questions. Mark's teenage daughter, for instance, became belligerent toward him, and eventually stopped coming with her brother on their weekends with their dad. When she did come, all she talked about was her mother's new live-in boyfriend. After several months of not seeing her at all, Mark's ex-wife informed him Molly had been getting counseling for self-mutilation. However, there was little mention of Molly's problem after Mark learned of it.

What I enjoyed most about this book was Mark's relationship with his son, Seth. I found their heart-to-heart talks endearing. I loved how they enjoyed going fishing or were content just to be hanging out. What I disliked most was the unanswered questions. Did Mark and Molly's relationship ever get better? Did counseling solve Molly's self-mutilation? Why does the same administrator still work at the nursing home? Were the patient neglect issues corrected? Overall, I enjoyed reading this book, and at 178 pages, it is a short read; however, I would have preferred more pages, if necessary, to find out how Mark's relationship with his daughter, Molly, turned out. The book does keep the reader guessing who the antagonist is, and the ending fits well with the story and is a bit surprising.

I cannot say the book had professional editing. There were multiple errors, mainly in punctuation, which was distracting. Due to the number of mistakes, I cannot give this book a perfect score. However, I did like the author's easy and relatable writing style, as well as the concept of the story. Therefore, I am giving Salvager by Lauren Joe Welch 3 out of 4 stars. There is some profanity not suitable for younger readers, and there is one instance that pertains to sex but nothing graphic or erotic. I recommend this book to those who enjoy a good mystery and don't mind a slow pace.

Salvager
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Where's Baby, Momma? by Antoinette McDonald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I love your first paragraph: he got the _____and she got the ______. Too bad about the editing. It is hard for me to understand how an author can put so much into a story just to have it ruined by poor grammar.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

Great review! Despite the slow pacing, the plot sounds interesting and sometimes it's nice to read a crime thriller that's not going to give you a heart attack. The unanswered question about the father-daughter relationship and the cutting issues are a little disappointing, but the book does seem to hit on a lot of relevant topics. Thanks for your information-packed review!
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

Awesome review! Mark must have gotten into a real trouble. I am curious to know why someone would want him dead anyway. Thank you for the heads on about its slow pace.
praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-anyi.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by praise+anyi »

The world for sure is a marvelous sort. When one decides to confront evil and fix decadence, men behind the wheel of evil comes after them; and that's what happened to Mark. I pray I'll be able to endure the slow pace when I pick up the book. Great review!
Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

Thanks for the review! Do you think this book might be a set up for a sequel? I would hate to see that the question of his relationship with Molly and her wellbeing is left unanswered.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I feel sorry for Mark already. Seems like he got the raw end of the deal. I'm curious what this mystery is in Collinsville. Nice review. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Curious choice to have a slow pace in a thriller. I guess it's suitable for people who like to read and find at the same time think about the clues they. Thank you for your informative review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

diana lowery wrote: 20 Mar 2020, 12:44 I love your first paragraph: he got the _____and she got the ______. Too bad about the editing. It is hard for me to understand how an author can put so much into a story just to have it ruined by poor grammar.
Thank you! The storyline was excellent, so I was disappointed for the author that the book had not been professionally edited! Thanks for your comments!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

NetMassimo wrote: 21 Mar 2020, 13:34 Curious choice to have a slow pace in a thriller. I guess it's suitable for people who like to read and find at the same time think about the clues they. Thank you for your informative review!
Thanks! Yes, it is more suitable for people who like to take their time reading. There were many opportunities to spice things up that were not utilized by the author. Thanks for commenting.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

kandscreeley wrote: 21 Mar 2020, 07:32 I feel sorry for Mark already. Seems like he got the raw end of the deal. I'm curious what this mystery is in Collinsville. Nice review. Thanks.
Thank you! Yeah, Mark got the worst of it in so many ways! Thanks for commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Tavaiel26 wrote: 21 Mar 2020, 05:51 Thanks for the review! Do you think this book might be a set up for a sequel? I would hate to see that the question of his relationship with Molly and her wellbeing is left unanswered.
I thought about that. I hope it is a sequel because the situation with Molly was one of the best parts. It definitely needs more attention! Thanks for commenting.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Cynthia_Oluchi wrote: 20 Mar 2020, 13:57 Awesome review! Mark must have gotten into a real trouble. I am curious to know why someone would want him dead anyway. Thank you for the heads on about its slow pace.
Thanks for commenting! It's a good book, just needs to be professionally edited, and needs a faster pace to make it more intense since it is a mystery thriller!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

praise+anyi wrote: 21 Mar 2020, 05:16 The world for sure is a marvelous sort. When one decides to confront evil and fix decadence, men behind the wheel of evil comes after them; and that's what happened to Mark. I pray I'll be able to endure the slow pace when I pick up the book. Great review!
Thank you, and thanks for commenting. It is a good story. I enjoyed the content.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 20 Mar 2020, 13:18 Great review! Despite the slow pacing, the plot sounds interesting and sometimes it's nice to read a crime thriller that's not going to give you a heart attack. The unanswered question about the father-daughter relationship and the cutting issues are a little disappointing, but the book does seem to hit on a lot of relevant topics. Thanks for your information-packed review!
Thank you, and thanks for commenting! There wasn't any mention of it having a sequel, but I'm hoping it will do answer some of the questions left open!
B. Creech

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”