Official Review: The US Navy Seal by William H Brackley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: The US Navy Seal by William H Brackley

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The US Navy Seal" by William H Brackley.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The US Navy SEAL by William H. Brackley tells the story of Jenna Marks, a decorated Navy SEAL who has one more operation to carry out before she retires. She is a member of a six-person team being sent by the government to a 100-year-old research facility that sits out in the middle of the ocean. The 650 military personnel that lived and worked there have disappeared. The team’s mission is to destroy any evidence of funds for the facility that can be traced back to the government.

In the search for the truth about the facility, Jenna uncovers a massive scandal that seems to go all the way to the top of the U.S. government. Her discovery could throw America into chaos. However, in order to gather proof, she has to move swiftly as they are not alone. Whoever or whatever caused the disappearance of the other inhabitants are now after her team. Will they be capable of getting out alive?

Mr. Brackley definitely possesses a vivid imagination, which represents my favorite aspect of the book. The plot to the story and the facility that he dreamed up are creative. The tale goes back and forth from the mission in the year 2072 to previous operations and conversations she had with people in the past. Each transition is clearly marked, so you know what time frame they are in. It is told from the first-person point of view, from Jenna’s perspective. Fitting into the science fiction genre, it is loaded with action.

However, the execution of the story needs work. The writing in the book is sometimes confusing, especially the dialogue, and this is my least favorite aspect. I found myself rereading frequently to make sense of it. The word “glare” is used often in the story. Wondering why everyone seemed so angry, I would reread to see if something was overlooked; then, I realized the author simply meant to stare or look at but not angrily (although the person was sometimes angry). Another example that puzzled me was, “A little ahead, the corridor seemed to have most of its ground missing. I walked over to determine how unstable the ground was, but it was too slippery.” Remember that they are in the middle of the ocean, and there is no ground. These corridors are high in the air.

For me, a lot of the story is not completely believable. I think if the Navy SEALs embark on a mission, it will be clearly thought out and planned in advance. In the story, they merely seem to wander around the corridors without a clear idea of where to go or what to do. Jenna even said, “No matter how long I stared at the terminal, it didn’t feel right to go back to the vast emptiness of the corridors without a plan.” However, they did not come up with a plan and continued to wander around.

I feel like the character development lacks as well. Jenna seems a little conceited about her achievements and abilities, and she is the only person we know for sure who can be trusted. The readers are not familiar enough with the other characters to understand their motives or thinking.

Not all the questions were resolved by the end. Therefore, if you prefer your loose ends to be neatly tied up, you might want to skip this book.

I found several grammatical, punctuation, and formatting errors as well. It could use a professional editor.

This book achieves a rating of two out of four stars. Two stars were taken away because of the issues listed previously. I didn’t give it one star because I think some sci-fi fans would still enjoy the action and suspense in the story. There is some profanity in the story. Therefore, it is not recommended for children.

The US Navy Seal
View: on Bookshelves
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems the type of novel where lots of action are used to try to cover for a plot and characters that weren't properly developed. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

The premise of this book is interesting, too bad it lacks believability. Hopefully some additional editing/development will make this a better book. Thanks for another outstanding review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

NetMassimo wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 06:04 This seems the type of novel where lots of action are used to try to cover for a plot and characters that weren't properly developed. Thank you for your honest review!
That was my take on it. It needs work, but it has potential. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 07:10 The premise of this book is interesting, too bad it lacks believability. Hopefully some additional editing/development will make this a better book. Thanks for another outstanding review!
I hope he uses the criticism constructively and improves the book. Thanks for your kind comments!
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Sounds like an intriguing story about Jenna Marks. Sorry about the confusions in the dialogues, I hope the author will do something about it. Thank you for presenting an excellent review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Nerea wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 11:11 Sounds like an intriguing story about Jenna Marks. Sorry about the confusions in the dialogues, I hope the author will do something about it. Thank you for presenting an excellent review.
I hope so too. Thanks for reading my review and commenting!
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

The US Navy Seal by William H Brackley seems to be a classic example of a good idea poorly executed. I hope that your feedback helps to make the book better because it has great potential. Your review is excellent, as always. Good job, my friend.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

LinaMueller wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 16:57 The US Navy Seal by William H Brackley seems to be a classic example of a good idea poorly executed. I hope that your feedback helps to make the book better because it has great potential. Your review is excellent, as always. Good job, my friend.
I agree; it does have great potential. Thank you for your kind comments!
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

"Not all the questions were resolved by the end. "

Perhaps this is just the first book in the series? Anyway, thanks for the great review.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

I hope the author views your review as constructive criticism and does the needful. This book seems like it will benefit a wide range of audience albeit, badly executed. Thanks for the sincere review.
xoxoAnushka
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by xoxoAnushka »

Great review! Unfortunately the book doesn't standout on his own.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Thanks for the review. I was all excited at the beginning only to realize not only did the book lack depth,it lacked believability as well. I don't think I will be giving this one a try.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

SunVixen wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 09:48 "Not all the questions were resolved by the end. "

Perhaps this is just the first book in the series? Anyway, thanks for the great review.
I could find nothing to suggest that it was, but it did make me wonder. Thanks for the comments!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Nkoo wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 10:02 I hope the author views your review as constructive criticism and does the needful. This book seems like it will benefit a wide range of audience albeit, badly executed. Thanks for the sincere review.
If the problems were fixed, it would be enjoyed by a wide audience. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”