Official Review: The Mastermind by Victoria L Trenton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: The Mastermind by Victoria L Trenton

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mastermind" by Victoria L Trenton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ever heard of BDSM? Well, I didn't know about this until I read The Mastermind by Victoria L Trenton. Most of the actions that took place in this book bordered around the concept of BDSM.

Chrissie is a wild young woman who learned to be tough and hardened by the things she experienced. Three years after she was sent to prison, Nick shows up to break her out. With the help of his partner in crime, Judas, he was able to break Chrissie out of prison. As a result, they had to leave the United States to hide in Mexico. On the side of Judas, he had feelings for Chrissie that makes Nick jealous and uncomfortable. Though Chrissie's relationship was riddled with many troubles and bitter-sweet experiences, she was subdued into sticking with Nick. All hell broke loose when Judas tried to steal Chrissie away from Nick. Will Chrissie eventually leave Nick after all they've been through together?

The Mastermind by Victoria L Trenton is the second book in The Outmate Trilogy. Though I'll advise that the first book in this trilogy be read before this one, it doesn't change the fact that The Mastermind had a unique plot of its own. I didn't struggle to know the background story as the author provided flashbacks at strategic points in the book. Though I would have preferred a synopsis or backstory at the beginning, the flashbacks were not out of place. I didn't get distracted from the main theme of this particular installment because of the flashbacks. As a matter of fact, the author did well to connect the past to the present beautifully.

The structuring of this book is what I liked most. There was consistency such that I knew exactly what the author intended to achieve with the structuring. For instance, each chapter was dedicated to a particular major character's narrative. However, every other character's narrative was in the first-person except for Nick. Though I was confused at first as to why the author didn't stick to a particular writing style. However, when I noticed the consistency, I concluded it was intentional and added some level of creativity to the delivery of this fast-paced romantic thriller.

At the beginning of this review, I told you that this book bordered around the concept of BDSM. As earlier stated, I never knew about this before I read this book. In my research, I discovered that it's a term used to describe the way women were brought to sexual submission. It has to do with the male dominance over their female counterparts in matters of intimacy. This concept aptly described Chrissie's relationship with Nick. On countless occasions in this book, Chrissie addressed Nick as “my lord” after every sexual escapade or whenever Nick tells her what to do. Beyond this, the author did well to create a balance for the benefit of people who are averse to the BDSM concept. Judas' relationship with Chrissie showed equality while Marshall's showed female dominance. I like the fact that the author made this balance, though the bulk of this book projected the BDSM concept.

This book was well written and professionally edited. There were only a few negligible errors. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this to all lovers of action-packed romance thrillers.

The Mastermind
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

This sounds like the book was written well, and made sure to tell a whole story. While it does sound like it is action-packed, I am not one to read romance, or books with sex in them. Given this one is based around BDSM, I would say it is not for me. Thank you for reviewing!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I read and reviewed the first book so I am definitely interested in how this one pans out for Chrissie.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

Thank you for the review, it sounds like a very interesting book. I’m definitely going to be checking it out.
Sam Ibeh
Currently Reading:

Post by Sam Ibeh »

Letora wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 04:25 This sounds like the book was written well, and made sure to tell a whole story. While it does sound like it is action-packed, I am not one to read romance, or books with sex in them. Given this one is based around BDSM, I would say it is not for me. Thank you for reviewing!
You're welcome Letora and thanks for your comment.
Sam Ibeh
Currently Reading:

Post by Sam Ibeh »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 18:22 I read and reviewed the first book so I am definitely interested in how this one pans out for Chrissie.
Fantastic, I would be reading the first book as soon as I clear my desk of other books I've lined up to read. Thanks for your comment.
Sam Ibeh
Currently Reading:

Post by Sam Ibeh »

Ria710 wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 18:28 Thank you for the review, it sounds like a very interesting book. I’m definitely going to be checking it out.
Awesome! I believe you'll enjoy the book. Thanks for your comment.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Post by That Reviewer »

I would have loved to read this book. But, I'm discouraged that it's based on BDSM. I really don't appreciate relationships where people are broken to submission. I'll take a pass on this one. Thanks for the honest review.
En+kay
Currently Reading: The Hit
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by En+kay »

Great review but the overall theme of the book action filled romance tinged with the idea of BDSM is a no for me but the review may make me reconsider
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

The BDSM concept is a new one for me. Though it doesn't look like am all at home with the concept, I would love to know more about it. Thanks for reviewing.
praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-anyi.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by praise+anyi »

The part that really got me thinking was where Chrissie was subdued into sticking with her boyfriend. Wow... Great review by the way but this is a turn off for me though.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”