Official Review: Symphony of Dreams by Cynthia Rogan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Official Review: Symphony of Dreams by Cynthia Rogan

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Symphony of Dreams" by Cynthia Rogan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Like any young girl, Symphony Weber longs to fit in with her classmates and make a few friends. Her stressful home situation causes her to turn to food for comfort, and the kids at school find it easy to make jokes about Symphony “Weigh Big.”

Symphony’s dreams give her information about the future, a gift that could help her popularity. But when the wrong student finds out, the term “Witchy” is added to her moniker. Her few friends do their best to protect her, but Symphony still knows more about personal family issues and criminal activities than she should. The pressure of handling these adult issues while being tormented at school is too much for one young girl. She is desperate to get rid of her horrible gift, but what price will she have to pay to be free?

Symphony of Dreams, by Cynthia Rogan, is a two-part fiction novel. The first part is a coming of age story about Symphony’s struggles at school, her family dynamics, and her attempts to learn about her dreams. Part two of the novel takes place eight years later after Symphony finds a solution to her visions. This story centers around a child abduction case in which Symphony’s gift would be an asset, but she can no longer see the fragments of the future.

I loved both portions of this novel. I spent the first half of the book growing close to young Symphony: agonizing over the bullying, fearing the anger of her father, longing to feel accepted by the other students in her class, pining over a way to suppress the confusion of the dreams. Then, in the second half, I was eager to see how adult Symphony was doing and what had become of her after high school. The suspense of the story in part two made for a fast-paced thriller as the police deal with a suspicious death at a hospital facility and the case of a baby kidnapped from the local mall in broad daylight.

Rogan kept me engaged in the exciting storyline as secrets from Symphony’s past came back to haunt her. The author did a fantastic job of creating a storyline that kept me guessing as I put together the clues and made predictions about the potential ending. I found little to dislike about the book, and would gladly give it the full four stars if I had not come across more than ten errors. Many of the mistakes were not distracting, but their presence must still reduce my rating to 3 out of 4 stars.

This book will prove to be an engaging read for those who love coming of age stories and thrilling suspense novels. The story is appropriate for mature teens and adult readers, but non-borderline profanities exist throughout the book. Readers should also be aware that the mature content of the novel includes references to domestic violence, drug use, and underage drinking. The author kept the scenes non-descriptive, so they may not cause a triggered response, but readers sensitive to those topics should know they are part of the story.

Symphony of Dreams
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I like that she has the gift of being able to see things in her dreams, but it is sad that these visions caused her such grief. I would love to see how this turned out. That you for an interesting and informative review!
Erin Dydek
Currently Reading:

Post by Erin Dydek »

Prisallen wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 08:19 I like that she has the gift of being able to see things in her dreams, but it is sad that these visions caused her such grief. I would love to see how this turned out. That you for an interesting and informative review!
Thanks for your kind thoughts, friend! I look forward to catching up on your latest reviews :)
xoxoAnushka
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by xoxoAnushka »

How can she no longer see the future? It'd be interesting to understand this concept. Thumbs up for your review!
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Young girls, kidnapped babies, criminal activities, and fragmented future visions?! This one seems to provide so many facets of intrigue and self-discovery. Lovely review of this one!
Gail39
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gail39 »

Symphony of Dreams I think the book is very interesting especially when she talked about wanting to get rid of the dreams she has
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The novel addresses realistic issues using a fantasy setting as the protagonist is bullied for her gift, to the point that she considers it a curse. It's the problem of kids who have talents, but that makes them someway different, and other people are envious. Other issues included in the novel are also part of many teenagers' life, and I think that the author was right in addressing them even if that can be hard. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I like the description of the first part of the story. Children with different gifts are often discriminated. It seems like she made a decision with her childish intellect that had repercussions in her adult life. Oh, this sounds intriguing!! Thanks for your wonderfully written review.
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

I like suspense novels and the premise is very interesting to me. Semms like it also tackles relevant social issues. Thanks for a great review!
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the errors, but it still sounds like a great book. I love the idea of getting to know Symphony. I hope she's able to help others with her gift. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Erin Dydek
Currently Reading:

Post by Erin Dydek »

xoxoAnushka wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 11:08 How can she no longer see the future? It'd be interesting to understand this concept. Thumbs up for your review!
No spoilers lol! Thanks for reading and commenting!
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

You mentioned that, in the second part, she finds a solution to her dreams. I have to wonder if she chooses to rid herself of them or if she keeps them, given the problems they've caused for Symphony in the past. Either way, I feel a lot of sympathy for her and I do hope her ultimate choice is one that brings her much happiness.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

Symphony is an interesting character, but I feel heartbroken that she was desperate to get rid of her gift due to the pressures around her.This will really be a great read for me.Thanks.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”