Official Review: The City by Brad Ramsey

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Official Review: The City by Brad Ramsey

Post by Ogoskino »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The City" by Brad Ramsey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The City by Brad Ramsey is a fictional book containing poems that describe the author’s living experience in community housing. The author gets his motivation from the work of an English writer, George Crabbe (1754-1832), in his verse called “The Village” that portrayed the literal suffering and degradation of rural pauperism in the eighteenth century. The author makes his lyrical debut which starts off rather rapturously as he employs continuity in the poetics and writing style of George Crabbe's “The Village” in describing his experiences and bases them on several topics.

The author lauds the works of George Crabbe and gives reasons that justify his admirations for him, referring to him as a unique bard who says the truth as it is while questioning the integrity of his contemporaries. This could be amplified by his saying “As Truth would paint it, and as Bards had not.” The author goes on making compelling arguments that further reveal the disparity between the elite and the poor. He suggests that the paupers who are around the elite are worse off, as the wealth around them makes them twice as poor. The author also talks about the evils of city life and the dying pauper, where he visits the fear of having no one and dying without mourners.

I loved the fact that the author sympathizes with the people of the lower class in their tribulations, while he expresses his preference for village life over city life through rhymes and tries to earn the sympathy of his readers as he hopes they disapprove of the behavior of the upper-class citizens. I was especially drawn to this part of the book because I have lived a greater part of my life as a low-class citizen, and I have a first-hand experience of how it feels.

I salute the efforts of the author in describing concerns of the twentieth century in an eighteenth-century language without any grammatical errors. I also found the book really educative, as it made me get a bit familiar with poetic styles used in those days. I also liked the fact that the author based his instances and arguments on relatable stories that have real-life authenticity that applies directly to the harsh realities.

Since I found myself lost in the verses at times owing to the choice in writing style, I feel an average reader who is not familiar with ancient poetry or patient enough to learn about eighteenth-century poetry would find it difficult to read and understand.

In addition to how well executed this book was, I found the book to be very relatable and thus thoroughly enjoyed reading the book. I rate The City by Brad Ramsey 4 out of 4 stars, and I would recommend this book to people who are interested in poetry.

The City
View: on Bookshelves
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

After reading your review I'm left with one question: just how amazing is the poet's language? I'll check out this book.
Thank you for the review.💫
Bet on Me! :idea:
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Although your review makes the book sound really intriguing, poetry is not the genre that I gravitate to. Therefore, I probably will pass on this book. Thanks for your wonderful review, though!
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I don’t typically read poetry books, but I love the idea of using poetry to help people see from a different perspective. There’s something to be said about people who show respect to people of all walks of life and it sounds like this author did a great job evoking empathy for the lower class and their trials. I enjoyed your interesting review!
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

I'm not a big fan of poetry, but sometimes I do enjoy reading it. You really made this book sound very intriguing. I think I might check it out. Thanks for the catchy review!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Princepetr10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Princepetr10 »

I will pass on this book , the review is kind of good , but not like what I will read .

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”