Official Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Cristina Chifane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Not long after college, John Gowan of Blanworth sets up an architecture firm, Gowan Partnerships, together with his friend, Pete Williams. Business is going well, but not over the top. An opportunity arises when least expected.

Zenith Star is a wholesale clothing company. On a trip to Israel, the chairman’s son, Wilkinson Junior, makes some disparaging remarks about Muslims wanting to take back land from the Israelis. In a chain reaction, terrorists blow up the Zenith building, a faceless modern glass construction.

Shocked by the event, John visits the site of the explosion. Although he feels compassion for the victims of the attack, he cannot help himself dreaming to design the new Zenith building. He has an accident on his way home and wakes up in a hospital three and a half years later. The problem is he thinks the accident took place the previous day. What is more, everybody assumes he is the architect of the new Zenith building, a genuine masterpiece. What is real and what is imaginary?

The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall is a psychological novel featuring a protagonist whose battle with his inner demons becomes more fascinating than any action-driven narration. Even if it is written in the third person, the novel focuses exclusively on John Gowan’s complex psychological life. For any psychologist or psychoanalyst, his amnesia would be an excellent case study. My favorite parts of the novel are those in which the narrator minutely describes John’s confusion and sense of loss.

Considering that this is a psychological novel, you might expect it to have a slow pace. On the contrary, I felt the plot development was quite exciting. Because of his amnesia, John is unable to look at the building plans or to see the actual building. Whenever he tries to do that, time dilates, he loses focus, and even faints. Fearing for his position as chief architect of the building, he hides the truth about his amnesia from everybody else. Like an undercover cop, he needs to do everything in his power not to blow up his cover. His more and more elaborate manoeuvres to stay under the radar add much tension and suspense to the overall plot.

The guessing game is perhaps the greatest strength of the novel. We never know what will happen next. In fact, we do not even know whether to like John or not. We only have access to his version of the story. As the events unfold, we start putting together various bits and pieces about his personality. He might think justice is on his side, yet we start having doubts. Why does Hillary, his wife, file for divorce? Did he actually design the masterpiece plans of the Zenith building or was it Pete, his partner?

Another thing I particularly enjoyed about this novel was the wide range of its topics. Through John’s eyes, the author tackles topics such as friendship, love, professional success, terrorism, or freedom. For example, John’s remarks during a television interview spark a nation-wide debate on the meaning and limitations of personal and collective freedom.

I have nothing to complain about this novel. It is excellently edited with only a handful of minor punctuation mistakes and two instances of offensive words triggered by a character’s justifiable anger. Taking all things into account, I am giving Martin Kendall’s The Freedom Building 4 out of 4 stars. Last but not least, I am recommending it to those who are fond of character-driven novels with a psychological vein and a surprising ending. I can assure you it will make you reflect on many challenging issues like the reliability of memory, individual happiness, the thin line between truth and deception, and the reasons behind terrorist acts.

The Freedom Building
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems an intriguing psychological thriller with the protagonist having to face innner and outer issues. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

I definitely want to read this one, story is unique. Thank you for your wonderful review!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting psychological thriller on truth, reality, terrorism, freedom, and a protagonist whose battle against his inner demons drives the plot. The book has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and a well-worded OnlineBookClub review. Congrats @mkendall80 on the BOTD.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

It sounds like there's a lot going on in this novel. There's a startup business, a terrorist plot, architecture, divorce, amnesia, mental illness, and a questionable identity. Seems like a lot to pack into a novel, but I guess it all works together.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I'm more into romance novels than this genre of book so I'm going to pass on it.
cetacea_2705
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cetacea_2705 »

It sends a thrill to every single cell in my blood. The plot fascinates my mind and it hooks me to keep reading. Afterall, for those who seek thrill in reading, this book is for you.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds right up my alley; I like the psychological aspect of it. A man wakes up three years later, thinking it's the next day; how intriguing. I also like that the book highlights the racial issues still experienced throughout the world. Thanks for the great review!
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

Excellent Review! It would be terrifying to wake up in the hospital and not know who or where you are! Amnesia is always an
interesting twist to a story. Sounds like an excellent book!
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 554
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

In Freedom Building, the characterization of a psychological patient is in its excellent form.
Valerieanne55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerieanne55.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Valerieanne55 »

A phychological thriller that from the excellent review certainly sounds like it will deliver a thrilling read.
Caffrey_19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Caffrey_19 »

An action-packed story that involves terrorism and a traumatized personality sounds interesting. The fact that it's a psychological novel, makes it my type of book. Wonderful review.
Nadiatrotwood
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadiatrotwood.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Nadiatrotwood »

From your review, it sounds like this novel is both character- and plot-driven. I like all of the elements, but it might be too busy for my taste. I think I'll pass on this one.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I came to read your review after liking the free sample, and now I am even more intrigued to find out who John really is and how we get to know him through the book.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

Wow! I am already excited about this. This kind of book will make you exercise your mind. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”