Review by Brandilanetteb -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brandilanetteb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandilanetteb.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Brandilanetteb -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Brandilanetteb »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

BURN ZONES: Playing Lifes Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery was a fantastic read, I gave this book 4 out of 4. It was well written and edited for all ages and reading levels. The first sighting of profanity "spic" on page 91 there are only two other occurrences of profanity, all used for purposes of historical imagery. I loved the clear images created using simple language that makes the reader feel like they are living in the moment as it's being read. The only thing I disliked was fighting the urge to speak into the book and tell the author what he was planning next is not a good idea.

I would recommend this book to everyone; Especially busy bodied kids with big ideas or no ideas, entrepreneurs, and anyone who has or lacks self-confidence. The author is consistent and honest about documenting his actions, thoughts, and feelings, whether they return a positive or negative outcome. The lessons you subtly learn through the author's storytelling skills and showmanship, preach of the importance of self-reflection & self-evaluation, honest observation, and great sportsmanship. You also learn a great deal of broad knowledge through the author's reflections on doing what he loved at the moment, being present during each step, and location. There is a great sense of trust built between the author and the reader, being supplied with photos, historical event recollections, presentations of facts & their sources, and names & dates dropped.

This is a non-fiction tale of Jorge P. Newbery playing life's bad hands. The author chronicles his life starting with the explanation of the term Burn Zone, which gives you a taste of how easily informative the whole book is written like he wants you to understand what is being said. From the very young age of 7, Jorgie had a knack for applying lessons he learns to get ahead in life. From business to recreation, Jorge plays by the same rules making it easy for him to transition while he ages through the troubles of the day and age.

Jorge watches the world around him intensely and adjusts according to his optimism and enthusiasm. When growing from shy to headlines -as you can expect- Jorge goes through anxiety, embarrassment, and dealing with shortcomings. In Burn Zones, your walking in the author's interpretation of public and private events that all add up to a sum of how we got to where we are; not just the author, but society in the past 50 years.

The author sheds light on how questioning authority, circumstances, and the violence of the world can lead to some very creative solutions. The importance of a moral code, a healthy and clean lifestyle, and a support system. The author shares tips and notes that he has taken from mentors and key characters in his life that applies to success and perseverance throughout time. The honest perception of a millionaire on millionaires, police brutality, the struggles of youth, minority, and underserved groups in America, and the justice & legal system. Every page in this book is a learning opportunity.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂
[Danielle]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle.html
Latest Review: The Global Reconstruction Project by S. Cotton

Post by [Danielle] »

I have been debating on reading this book ever since it popped up as a book to review. However, I am not normally a non-fiction fan when reading for pleasure. It sounds like there are elements that are more story-driven, however, so maybe I'll give it a shot.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”