Review by Chrystal Oaks -- E M P Honeymoon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Review by Chrystal Oaks -- E M P Honeymoon

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

[Following is a volunteer review of "E M P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Newlywed Kelly McBride Turbulo discovers a private room in the back of a shop with computers that contain alarming images on their screens. They are images of what appears to be electrical grid lines of the United States and Canada. She is caught but manages to get away and calls her brother, Mike McBride, for help. Thus starts the honeymooner’s, Kelly and Tom, journey to discover who is behind the ominous threat to the United States. Throughout their journey, they have the help of the CIA, Homeland Security, and Mike’s own security team.

E M P Honeymoon: Kelly & Tom is the second book I have read by Dorothy May Mercer. Even though it is part of the McBride series and some of the characters from Cynthia and Dan are brought back in this book, it can be read as a standalone. Just like the first book I read by her, it is fast-paced with an unexpected surprise and a suspenseful mystery to solve. The majority of the setting takes place in Honduras where Kelly and Tom are on their honeymoon. After Kelly stumbles upon the puzzling room of computers and escapes from the bad guy, the storyline follows the United States agencies and how they interact (or not) to figure out and thwart the threat against the USA. There is little depth given to the characters except for one antagonist, Sue Lynn Reese. To avoid a spoiler, all I will say is that Mercer provides details to show how Sue Lynn is groomed and ultimately connected to the threat.

Something I truly admire is Mercer’s ability to present a serious topic in a light-hearted manner. She is able to create just enough suspense and mystery without generating nightmares. As I stated above, this is only the second book I have read by her and don’t know if this holds true for all of them, but I really like the detailed information she provides at the end of each book. In this case, the reader gets a detailed account and links to the respective sources. These sources include the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), earth’s orbit, and electromagnetic pulse (EMP).

There is only one complaint I have against E M P Honeymoon: Kelly & Tom. I wish there would have been more build-up and depth on Kelly and Tom: a flashback on when they met, a flashback on their wedding day, and an explanation as to why Kelly was so tired in one scene. Otherwise, I enjoyed reading this book. Also, it appears to have been professionally edited. There is some cursing but it felt natural and not forced, and there are no explicit sex scenes.

Overall, I rate E M P Honeymoon: Kelly & Tom 4 out of 4 stars. It is entertaining and educational with just the right amount of suspense. I would recommend this book for anyone who wants to read a quick, light, and fast-paced thriller.

E M P Honeymoon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Reading several books by the same author helps to understand their writing style. I like how you point out that the author included detailed information about NASA and EMPs. It takes skill to get the right balance of suspense with romance. Thanks for your review.
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

I read and reviewed this book recently too and it was interesting to read your perspective. And I really relate to what you said about Mercer’s ability to present a serious topic in a light-hearted manner, I noticed that too and I really like that. Thanks for the great review!
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I read Cynthia and Dan and wasn't all that impressed. I really hadn't planned on reading any more of the author's work. You seem to have really liked this one except for the slim character development on Kelly and Tom and a little lack of detail. Now that I've read your review, maybe I'll have to reconsider my position on this. Thanks for the great review!
alanajoseph2004
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by alanajoseph2004 »

The story is very interesting with suspense have me wondering what next . The two lovely couple were very brave to see a private room and went spying. The story didn't say if Kelly and Tom was successful in discovering who was behind the treat to the united states
naisausogolele
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by naisausogolele »

Good book to read I hope if they can expand a little more. Making it a more defined one within the context of that writing.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A pursuit to discover who is behind the ominous threat to the United States. The protagonist having the help of the CIA, Homeland Security to achieve their agenda seems quite engaging story to me. Thanks for your insightful review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Etienneza
Currently Reading: The Ancestor's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etienneza.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Etienneza »

The book definitely sounds more than rivetting from the reviews. You Provided a very informed assessment of the book's plot, positives, and only the singular negative aspect. I look forward to your following reviews!
Berry_
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-berry.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Berry_ »

This seems like a great novel that is full of action which I love. I can't wait to read it. Great review.
Zubair Ahmed 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zubair-ahmed-7.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Zubair Ahmed 7 »

I started reviewing recently and this being my second last review, I learnt something new from having gone through a different perspective.
Mildred Echesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-echesa.html
Latest Review: Catch A Raven by Kirro Burrows

Post by Mildred Echesa »

From the on set and book cover, the book seems to be about space but after reading your review, I discovered it is not. Great review
Poetic Justice
OTrain Disene
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

I enjoyed novels filled with suspence. And I think I might just love this one.
lilianchikasi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilianchikasi.html
Latest Review: From A Whore to a Whousewife by Felicia Cobbs

Post by lilianchikasi »

You gave an interesting review without leaving any spoilers. I really enjoyed reading your review. Good job
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A nice fact paced science fiction thriller looks very much entertaining to me. Thanks for your honest review making this book appealing to me.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

Your review paints a vivid picture of a thrilling story in "E M P Honeymoon: Kelly & Tom." The discovery of alarming images on computers and the subsequent journey to uncover the threat sounds like a gripping and suspenseful adventure. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”