Official Review: Naked Truth by Carrie Hayes

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Official Review: Naked Truth by Carrie Hayes

Post by Connie Otwani »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Naked Truth" by Carrie Hayes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In many activism tales, adventure and brutality from the powers-that-be is a sure deal. Not only does Naked Truth, by Carrie Hayes, not disappoint in this regard, but it additionally has a sprinkle of Spiritualism that accentuates the fun and ‘ouch’ moments.

The plot follows two renegade sisters, Tennessee Claflin and Victoria Woodhull, in their rise from obscurity and Spiritualism to Victoria running for the highest office in the land. Never mind that at the time, women were not even allowed to vote!

In this female-restrictive era, the two sisters' spunky and radical disposition leads them to break every law on societal female submission and moral standing. Not only are they scandalized, but backlash and persecution quickly follow suit when the two start causing political ripples.

That notwithstanding, the two women are not badass, perfect leaders. With the media hounding them, the plot elucidates the women’s vulnerabilities as they grapple with love, family life, and their ambitions. In essence, we see them ‘stripped naked’ in both their highest and lowest moments.

The key themes in the story are challenging status quo, daring to be different, politics, corruption and persecution for holding onto one’s unpopular ideals. Tennie and Victoria were enigmas. Sometimes I lauded them. Other times I could only shake my head in disbelief at their flawed thinking and actions. There were times I laughed at their escapades, and times I almost cried at their predicaments.

Even though there isn't not much-recorded history about these great women’s day to day activities or those of the key characters surrounding them, the author painstakingly uses newspaper articles to ground the plot, while audaciously filling any gaps with imaginative splendor. This historical fiction novel can undoubtedly pass for a biography.

The 326-page, five-part novel is set in the male-dominated 19th century. Events in the two women’s lives and times are chronologically arranged from May 1868. The narration is in the third-person perspective using various characters’ points of view. While these shifting points of view give a well-rounded approach to events, it inadvertently drags the plot since there were many characters. Every so often I got confused and had to flip back to re-acquaint myself with a character. This proved to be a very distracting affair.

While I enjoyed the women’s revolutionary approach to politics, business and other vital issues of the day, I must admit I was a little bogged down with the pace of the plot. If you are looking for a thrilling page-turner, then don’t reach out for this one. If, however, history makes you tick, I harbor no doubt that you will enjoy the book.

This is because the author adeptly relives recognized historical events from unusual angles. For example, her explanation of the origin of Black Friday was quite different from what is common in the media today. The limited medical knowledge of the era leads to some cringe-worthy solutions. To cap it, the author provides a list of reference resources for further reading.

I didn’t grasp why Spiritualism in the plot was based on Christianity, since my understanding is that Christianity does not condone Spiritualism. This detail may irk devout Christians unless one takes it as a fallacy during the era.

All in all, the biggest letdown for me was the book's loosely knit relationships leading to cosmetic interactions. Some characters, for example, would so fall out with each other to the point of fist-fighting. In the very next section, however, they would carry on as if nothing untoward ever transpired. On other occasions, a minor disagreement would turn into an insurmountable mountain. These fleeting relationships prevented the book from making a lasting impression in my mind.

For these reasons, I believe the book falls short of a perfect rating. I, therefore, rate it 3 out of 4 stars, while reiterating that the author did a superb job in editing it. I only came across a handful of minor grammatical errors, which did not interfere with the flow of the story. Moreover, there was no obscenity or explicit sexual scenes.

This book, therefore, is one any lover of historical fiction, feminist movements, or biographies would enjoy. Book clubs can also do justice to the multiple layers of this book. Furthermore, the author suggests some discussion topics.

Naked Truth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Wow!
Your review has performed an excellent task in summarising the book, that I kept yearning for more and by time I was done reading it- I decided to read the book myself.
Thanks for the review.💫
Bet on Me! :idea:
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

I really enjoyed your analysis of the book. It sounds very unique in a lot of ways. Did you get any indication that it was based, however loosely, on historical figures or events?
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I love the term 'cosmetic interactions'. How perfect!
Wonderful review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I LOVE books with strong female characters! Thank you for your insightful review, great work!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 05:46 Wow!
Your review has performed an excellent task in summarising the book, that I kept yearning for more and by time I was done reading it- I decided to read the book myself.
Thanks for the review.💫
Go for it ! I hope you share your experience with it, too.

I appreciate your stopping by, and sharing your thoughts. Thanks!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Laura Lee wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 19:57 I really enjoyed your analysis of the book. It sounds very unique in a lot of ways. Did you get any indication that it was based, however loosely, on historical figures or events?
Thanks for stopping by Laura Lee! Oh yes, the book is solidly based on historical figures and events. The author did lots of research and filled in any gaps with interesting 'could have beens!' Hope you get to read it!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Bianka Walter wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 08:26 I love the term 'cosmetic interactions'. How perfect!
Wonderful review :)
Thanks Bianca! Though I found that wierd, I'm told its quite normal in dysfunctional family units.

I appreciate your stopping by and commenting.
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

espo wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 08:45 I LOVE books with strong female characters! Thank you for your insightful review, great work!
Then you will no doubt love this one! They are not only strong, but spunky through and through!!
Thank you sooo much!
-Walt Disney
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

The two sisters showed reasonable courage. But how did they cope with the opposition from their enemies? Sounds like an interesting book to check. Lovely review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Nerea wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 03:22 The two sisters showed reasonable courage. But how did they cope with the opposition from their enemies? Sounds like an interesting book to check. Lovely review.
It is interesting. Hope you check it out. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
-Walt Disney
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Such controversial book for going against the grain and boldly uphold unpopular opinions. I love reading a book like this. Such a thorough analysis, Cotwani. Wonderfully reviewed.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

:tiphat: by
ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 05:35 Such controversial book for going against the grain and boldly uphold unpopular opinions. I love reading a book like this. Such a thorough analysis, Cotwani. Wonderfully reviewed.
Yes, those women were something else! Thanks for your kind words, and for stopping by. Hope you get to read the book.
-Walt Disney
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I am not certain whether this book is for me. But I enjoyed your review. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 05:35 Such controversial book for going against the grain and boldly uphold unpopular opinions. I love reading a book like this. Such a thorough analysis, Cotwani. Wonderfully reviewed.
Thank you dear!

I bet you will enjoy the book, then. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
-Walt Disney

Return to “Historical Fiction”