Official Review: Dyed Souls by Gary Santorella

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Official Review: Dyed Souls by Gary Santorella

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dyed Souls" by Gary Santorella.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“If it weren’t for me, my mom wouldn’t have to do the things she does. She’d probably have a pretty good life if I wasn’t around.”

For as long as he can remember, teenaged Charles has been making excuses for his abusive mother. She drinks in excess and beats him. She is always sorry, but never sorry enough to seek help for her destructive behavior. Whenever his mom has had enough of him, he is sent away to stay with his grandparents or to Hawthorne, which is a group home. After a particularly rough home visit, his mother drops him off at Hawthorne and disappears for months. Charles remains hopeful that one day he will be worthy of his mother’s love.

Throughout his stay at Hawthorne, Charles falls into a routine and begins to feel a sense of belonging. The home is full of colorful characters that have also come from soiled home lives. He fills his days with reading about Darwin’s theories and sneaking off with love interest, Margo. As things are just beginning to fall into place, they quickly fall apart. He and Margo hit a rough patch, and another birthday comes and goes without hearing anything from his mother. Heartbroken and angry, his instinct is to run—far away, but where will he go?

Dyed Souls by Gary Santorella is a coming-of-age novel that left an everlasting imprint on my heart. This masterpiece is comprised of approximately three hundred pages, and the story is written in the first-person perspective. The reader follows Charles as he tries to make sense of the dark world that he is immersed in by using his reflective thoughts. This heart-wrenching book was an emotional rollercoaster. Its terrifying twists and turns left me questioning why I even got on in the first place, but when it was over, I wanted to ride it again!

Charles had a strong inner voice that translated well onto paper and into my heart. It was so painstakingly obvious that he wanted to feel worthy of love. The absence of his mother’s love drove him to seek it from another—Margo. His dysfunctional relationship with his mother translated into a skewed sense of normalcy. This caused him to seek affection from someone who was just as damaged as her.

With such a strong protagonist, it made sense that Dyed Souls would have a memorable cast of supporting characters. While her role was relatively small, Charles’s mother had a larger-than-life personality. Every time she appeared in his life, she rolled in like a tornado causing a path of destruction. It was painful to watch someone so vehemently against getting the help that they needed. Her addictions and promiscuity were a direct result of unresolved trauma. Margo was another character that played a significant role in Charles’s life. She was quite unpredictable with her feelings towards him. She would often get close to him but then change her tune completely, which was the cause of much confusion for Charles. Finally, his grandfather, while absent for most of the story, had a significant influence on Charles’s thoughts and opinions.

The book was professionally edited, and I only found two minor errors that didn’t alter my reading experience. The author had a way of capturing my attention, holding it throughout the story, and long after it had ended. Days after I had finished the book, I found myself thinking about Charles and how his character left a profound impact on me. For the above reasons, I chose to give the book a rating of four out of four stars.

I would dissuade young readers from picking up this book due to the language and weighty topics. The author tackles all facets of abuse, and this may be a trigger for sensitive readers. On the other hand, I would recommend Dyed Souls to readers who appreciate books that are character-driven and strongly focused on relationships. Also, if you are interested in Darwinism, this book is for you!

Dyed Souls
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

It's been a while since I've read a book that left a lasting impact on me. I'd pick this one up, but I'm not a big fan of books that deal with abuse. I'll have to pass but I am glad that you enjoyed this coming-of-age novel. Great review!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Ever_Reading wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 06:04 It's been a while since I've read a book that left a lasting impact on me. I'd pick this one up, but I'm not a big fan of books that deal with abuse. I'll have to pass but I am glad that you enjoyed this coming-of-age novel. Great review!
Thank you!
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

This book sounds like it would have a lasting impact on most readers. It seems like this book covers a topic that many people have survived, the abuse from a parent. I think the emotions displayed of trying to please the parent and looking for some sort of love and acceptance are consequences of any abuse. I think this would be a good book to read, but you would definitely have to have your head in the right space to enjoy the story. Thanks for the review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This definitely sounds like one of those books that truly stays with you. I considered it reviewing it, but I do have a hard time reading stories involving child abuse. Thanks for the insightful review.
Stephanie Elizabeth

Miller56 wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 11:24 This book sounds like it would have a lasting impact on most readers. It seems like this book covers a topic that many people have survived, the abuse from a parent. I think the emotions displayed of trying to please the parent and looking for some sort of love and acceptance are consequences of any abuse. I think this would be a good book to read, but you would definitely have to have your head in the right space to enjoy the story. Thanks for the review.
I completely agree with you about having to be in the right head space. This was not an easy read but an important one! Thanks!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Cecilia_L wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 11:51 This definitely sounds like one of those books that truly stays with you. I considered it reviewing it, but I do have a hard time reading stories involving child abuse. Thanks for the insightful review.
Thanks for your comment!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It is heart-breaking to read a story about child abuse, and this story seems to immerse you fully in that world. I think it would leave me depressed. I hope it had a happy ending. Thank you for the great review!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Prisallen wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 16:25 It is heart-breaking to read a story about child abuse, and this story seems to immerse you fully in that world. I think it would leave me depressed. I hope it had a happy ending. Thank you for the great review!
Guess you will have to read it to find out! Thanks for your comment.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I'm going to pass on this roof because of the child abuse. Great review.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

This seems like really emotional and hard book to read. I love character driven books. I hope that Charles had an happy ending. I can see the appeal of reading it. Such an amazing review. Thank you!
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting fictional story on child abuse, childhood trauma, and overcoming its effects on the teenage protagonist. The book has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

A first person account of an emotionally traumatized child! It must have been really hard to read through the child's experiences i suppose. This is definitely a must read for me. Thank you for your very intriguing review. 🙂
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

A touching book about a teenager who is practically abandoned in a group home by his family, especially his mother. He tries to find the affection and love he has not had. It seems a heartbreaking story of those who reach the soul. I would like to read it.
cynthia28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia28.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by cynthia28 »

This sounds like a painful and heartbreaking story around a lonely boy. Thanks for your lovely review

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”