Review by Sylvia_home -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sylvia_home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sylvia-home.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Review by Sylvia_home -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Sylvia_home »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones, Playing Life’s Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery is all about his life and business exploits since early childhood, from the age of seven up to his late forties. He opens up his chapter of business life by a simple job of selling two rival newspapers to his neighborhood and making his first money from it. Having made that a success, he then exploits many other facets of life with his parent's support and makes the best of these opportunities which eventually makes him very wealthy.

While life as the sea is open to turbulent waves, as a leading real estate mogul, he undergoes the most difficult setback yet. He experiences loses on a major project due to different but cruel circumstances. Creditors come calling and he finds himself against the wall. ‘‘I felt close to shattering a few times.’’ he writes, ‘‘but I did not break.’’ It shakes his belief in himself and his future decisions. Nonetheless, he awakens and realizes only he can motivate himself to arise and start over.

The book is an honest account of an ordinary man who has more drive than most of us I must say. I am particularly intrigued about how he is able to overcome the prejudice due to his age whenever he is looking for a job or his skin color as a result of his parents interracial marriage. The important theme here is how to get through your burn zone, a difficult place that sets you apart from others by how you get on to the other side and what lessons you take home to make you a better person.

I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for inspiration. The book will help you realize that your challenges are there for a reason, probably to push you to a new horizon. ‘‘I sensed irony in the former overseer at Woodland Meadows biggest creditor going into business with a debtor that had spectacularly crashed and burned.’’ As he rises from the devastation, he realizes he can still make something new out his situation. My emotions connected to the writer’s joys and sorrows as he opines that everyone is going through some sort of burn zone, which I feel is true.

I absolutely give a 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed its well-edited text with a consistency of good humor especially the father always calling him ‘Jorgie’ and the writer most of the time correcting it to Jorge. Get ready to go through a journey of deep truths about the American society, its politics, police relations and business practices and how they influence the writer’s world. Get ready to go through the Burn Zone.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

That emotional connection is something all authors strive for, and is especially important in a book of this type. I am glad it was able to inspire you.
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”