Review by Anu99 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anu99
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu99.html
Latest Review: Followed my Star by AR Annahita

Review by Anu99 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Anu99 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery by is an autobiographical account that is inspiring and extremely riveting. Beginning with the authors' childhood when he discovered his calling and swerved from the traditional path, the striking zeal and resilience are characteristics of his that the readers ought to appreciate.

He has a vision and he believes in himself, venturing out to achieve his goals as early as 7 years old. Starting as a newspaper boy, each milestone in his life has been a result of his unrelenting determination, and his refusal to back down when he finds himself in a burn zone. Despite many accomplishments, at a very young age itself, his life was not without crisis. He faced his biggest setback at the age of 39, induced by a natural disaster and was almost close to filing bankruptcy but Mr. Newbery built his empire back from scratch and married the love of his life.

He is a successful entrepreneur, distressed debt and real estate investor, endurance athlete, and author and above all a great human being who values his family, and contributes to the welfare of society. His commitment to his housing projects is outstanding. It is not about exploitative profits for him, rather using innovation to solve problems in a way that is reasonable to both parties. He has made lives easier for his clients. He is a businessman with a conscience who identifies the social and economic inequalities and the whopping disparity between the rich and the poor in his country. He was also a leader in the Occupy wall street movement. He understands the plight of African Americans and other minorities and accepts his privilege as a Hispanic who appears like a white citizen. To be precise, Mr. Newbery is a person whom we should all aspire to be.

I'd rate this book a 4 out of 4 because I loved reading it and there is also much to take away. Although I have no entrepreneurial predilection I was still able to connect with the author as a socially committed individual. He speaks about the misunderstood youth, the so-called "punks" which I can very much resonate with being a college student myself. I would say this book is a brilliant choice for anyone with a penchant of entrepreneurial pursuit.

The book is well structured from the very first chapter and the narrative keeps you interested for most parts except for those that go into the technicalities of his work which can be a tad boring but then again, it is imperative to talk about his professional experiences in his autobiography particularly because it defines him to a great extent. It is also well edited.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”