Review by Nimisha_91 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Nimisha_91 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nimisha_91 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing life's Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery is the story of how a normal boy from a normal family overcame numerous disappointments and hurdles to become a real-estate mogul. From the tender age of 7, Jorge or Jorgie, as he was lovingly called by his father was a businessman. From delivering newspapers to representing punk rock bands, he did whatever it took to be successful. Although he lacked a college education, Jorge was smart. He knew what he wanted and he did everything in his power to get it. Through this book he tells us how his spontaneity and overconfidence( by his own admission) led to an enormous failure, and how through resilience and hard work, he overcame that. Throughout the book, he compares each hurdle he has to cross to 'Burn Zones'. 'Burn Zones', as he explains to us in the beginning of the book, is a term used in cycling to describe short periods of extraordinary effort that separated the winners and losers. He tells us how he uses this concept to surge on, and not look back.

I loved this book. It is inspiring and full of hope. It also gives us a small peek into the punk rock scene of the 70's. The author has also managed to talk about the prevalent racism, and how it affected him and the people around him. The way he manages to stay optimistic and full of hope even through all the horrible times is inspiring. The book also beautifully explores the wonderful relationship he shared with his father. His father's journey with cancer and his wedding are both beautiful heart-warming chapters in the book.

What i liked about this book is how relatable it is. Everyone, at some point in their lives, would have had to encounter failures. This book shows us it is possible to rise from the ashes and become better people for it. The book is inspiring without being condescending and will speak to every person- man or woman, black or white, going through life.

What i disliked about the book is all the extensive real-estate jargon. Although i realise that it goes with the theme of the book and probably makes sense to the target audience, maybe a little less of that would make some parts less boring to people who are not familiar with the world of real-estate. There are many chapters dedicated to this and while some information was good, i felt like it was too much at certain places.

The book seems professionally edited and i found only one error in the entire book. There are no instances of profanity and the book is appropriate for readers of all ages- although children may not enjoy it as much. I give this book 4 out of 4 stars and would definitely recommend it to others.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I read this book a while ago and had completely forgotten about the punk rock part until reading about it again in your review! I keep thinking about the real estate part at the end because that appeared to be what the author was leading up to and it was the most recent thing I read. But I remember really enjoying reading about the punk rock scenes and the bands staying over in his mother's living room! Thanks for this great review & reminding me about one of the best parts of this book!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”