Review by SJ-Rono -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SJ-Rono
Currently Reading: Underfoot in Show Business
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sj-rono.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Review by SJ-Rono -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by SJ-Rono »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jorge P. Newbery's autobiography, Burn Zones, begins with his first new job, at the tender age of seven, as a paperboy. His journey from there spans decades and through several career changes as he went from challenge to challenge. Starting as a paperboy, he moved to selling icecream, to music, competitive sports then to real estate. He describes his life through the earlier times to be sometimes as simple as a crafty game of monopoly and at other times, as the stakes got higher, as a fight for his very sense of self. Throughout the book, he makes a point of describing how he tried to learn from his failures in order to achieve success from his next ventures.

He describes himself as a person who once having chosen a challenge and excelled at that, would then move on to the next. His passion and fearlessness led him to drop out of high school, to move from one business to another in a bid to better himself and grow as a business man. He takes on increasingly bigger challenges with an optimistic attitude and this leads to his greatest downfall. Even in this failure, he chooses optimism and fights until he cannot anymore.

What I really liked about the book was how the author writes about his journey and growth with such frankness. You cannot help but rejoice in his triumphs and empathise with his failures. It invites you, not to feel sorry for what he went through, but instead to pick lessons from it and reflect on how indomitable the human spirit can be.

I would have loved to read more on how he eventually dealt with being in debt and his recovery from the brink.

The book is beautifully written and I give it a 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it for audiences who love true stories and are looking for a feel good book that potrays the pitfalls of life and how to rise from them.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”