Official Review: 2612 Cherryhill Lane by Glenn Vo

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: 2612 Cherryhill Lane by Glenn Vo

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "2612 Cherryhill Lane" by Glenn Vo.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life was good for Jonathan, being an outstanding quarterback in high school with a gorgeous girlfriend; he had also received a full scholarship to play football in college. After leading his team to a Texas state football championship, things suddenly went horribly wrong. After answering a text while driving, he had a terrible car accident, resulting in him losing his legs and his little sister forfeiting her life. His father, blaming Jonathan for his sister’s death, avoids him and seems to loathe him, and his girlfriend leaves him. Jonathan is terribly depressed and thinks there is nothing to live for. Then, he meets Samantha, a college student who was hired by his mother to be his personal assistant. Can she draw him out of his shell and convince him his life still has a purpose?

2612 Cherryhill Lane by Glenn Vo is a romance novel written from the third-person point of view. The author’s descriptive writing style is easy to understand, and the story flows smoothly in a linear-time fashion. The importance of family and friends, forgiveness, and atonement are all themes skillfully addressed in the book.

Poignantly demonstrated, the primary message in the book is that texting and driving can alter a person’s entire life. I think this is a pressing issue, especially in this age of easily accessed cell phones, and I commend the author for bringing attention to it. As such, I think it is my favorite aspect of the novel. This would be an excellent book for teenagers to read to remind them of the dangers of texting and driving.

Faith in God represents a chief aspect of the book. There are several Bible verses interwoven into the story. Non-Christians might not appreciate this as much as Christians would; although, there is nothing derogatory about other religions.

However, not everything was great. I wanted a little less “telling” in the story and a little more “showing.” Plus, things were sometimes repetitive and could have been written more concisely. An example is, “. . . Jonathan asked Samantha how she felt about going home for Thanksgiving break . . . ‘How do you feel about going back home?’ ” There was no need for the first sentence since he was reiterating it in the question. This was my least favorite part of the book.

I encountered several grammatical and punctuation errors in the story, mostly in the form of missing commas. Although these were not distracting or numerous, too many were seen to achieve a perfect score. It could use another round of editing.

After careful consideration, 2612 Cherryhill Lane achieves a rating of three out of four stars. One star was taken away because of the issues above. I felt it was too good for a rating of two.

No sex was discovered in the story other than kissing, and there were no profanities. As mentioned above, this would be an excellent book for teenagers (and, for that matter, adults) to read to caution against texting and driving. Romance lovers and readers who enjoy books about faith would also appreciate it.

2612 Cherryhill Lane
View: on Bookshelves
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Don't text and drive is a message that cannot be said enough times. I'm glad that it's making its way into books for youth to encounter there as well. Wonderfully written review, thanks!
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Wow. Sounds gut-wrenching. Thank you for such a clear, insightful analysis. I enjoyed your review.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I appreciate the fact that this is a romance book, but there are no profanities nor sexual content portrayed in the context. Sounds like a clean material. I might check the book. Thank you for your insightful review. Good job.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Post by That Reviewer »

I can relate to a story were you have your life ahead of you and one incident will let all hell loose in your life. That's a pretty bad place to be and most people don't come out from it. It takes great strength to find meaning out of life when you've lost the things that are most important to you.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Texting and driving is truly a plague of nowadays.. Can't be stressed enough. Sounds like a touching love story, would love to give it a try even in spite of all the mentioned above issues. :) Thank you for a great review!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I wholly agree with your point about not "telling" but "showing" – I think telling spoils a lot of a reader's immersion, since it's a form of info-dumping, which is always a pity! Thank you for your insightful review. (:
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

A book focusing on the effects of texting and driving a car. Sounds great. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

The effects of texting and driving cannot be stressed enough. It is good that the author brought it to our attention once again. Thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Kelyn wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 16:20 Don't text and drive is a message that cannot be said enough times. I'm glad that it's making its way into books for youth to encounter there as well. Wonderfully written review, thanks!
I couldn't agree with you more. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Laura Lee wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 21:29 Wow. Sounds gut-wrenching. Thank you for such a clear, insightful analysis. I enjoyed your review.
Thank you so much for the kind words and for stopping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Nerea wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 02:56 I appreciate the fact that this is a romance book, but there are no profanities nor sexual content portrayed in the context. Sounds like a clean material. I might check the book. Thank you for your insightful review. Good job.
It is clean, which is refreshing. I hope you get a chance to read it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

That Reviewer wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 20:08 I can relate to a story were you have your life ahead of you and one incident will let all hell loose in your life. That's a pretty bad place to be and most people don't come out from it. It takes great strength to find meaning out of life when you've lost the things that are most important to you.
I'm sorry you had to go through that. I hope you are in a better place now. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Ellylion wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 06:04 Texting and driving is truly a plague of nowadays.. Can't be stressed enough. Sounds like a touching love story, would love to give it a try even in spite of all the mentioned above issues. :) Thank you for a great review!
Yes, it truly is! I hope you get a chance to read the book. Thanks, my friend, for stopping by and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

gen_g wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 19:53 I wholly agree with your point about not "telling" but "showing" – I think telling spoils a lot of a reader's immersion, since it's a form of info-dumping, which is always a pity! Thank you for your insightful review. (:
Thanks for stopping by and commenting, my friend! It's always good to read your thoughts.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”