Official Review: A Perfect Puddle by Barbara Perry

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Official Review: A Perfect Puddle by Barbara Perry

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Perfect Puddle" by Barbara Perry.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Perfect Puddle by Barbara Perry is a children’s picture book that explores the adventures of two drops of water. Willie and Arnold attend school each day to learn about becoming raindrops. They practice working with the other droplets to make hail, rainbows, and rivers. Finally, they graduate from school and get their first chance to join the other drops as rain, allowing their adventures to continue down on the ground.

I really admire the creativity of the author, as I would never have though that two raindrops would make such adorable, lovable characters. I must also commend the illustrator, Autumn Brook, who brought the boys to life and allowed me to understand how two drops of water could be personified. I found myself becoming attached to Willie and Arnold and hoping that they would be able to graduate and pursue their dreams of being real raindrops.

Beyond being a cute story, this book also strives to include educational elements. It explores different types of weather and the water cycle by integrating imagination with reality. For example, the boys know that rain only comes from gray clouds, so they paint their cloud gray so that they can become rain. After precipitating down, Willie and Arnold get the chance to participate in the condensation and evaporation steps of the water cycle as well. The author avoids using this specific terminology to keep the book fun and approachable, but parents and teachers could use this story as a way to begin introducing these terms.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. From the fun characters to the professional drawings, I can’t really find anything to complain about. The writing also appears to be professionally edited.

I would happily recommend this book to parents and teachers of children ages 4 to 9, though younger kids will need a parent to read it to them. I’m sure that adults and kids alike will be won over by this adorable pair of raindrops, just like I was.

A Perfect Puddle
View: on Bookshelves
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

What an unusual plot for a children's book! Like you, I hope Arnold and Willie fulfill their dreams. Great job.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I believe it's never too early to start teaching your kids. This picture book sounds like a great introduction to the water cycle. However, I would have preferred if the author did use the proper terminology with explanations.

Thank you for your review. :techie-studyingbrown:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

Making characters simply out of water droplets is so creative. Sounds like a fun read. Thank you for the review!
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

This is exactly the sort of book I always loved to find when homeschooling my kids! And right now, I still have one grandbaby left young enough for this to be perfect for. I think I'm with Josephe-Anne in wishing the terms were used for the steps in the water cycle; however, I still want this book. I can certainly elaborate or bring those into the conversation when we discuss it after reading it.

Yikes! I just went to buy this book and to see if there are others by this author as well...$17 apiece! That's certainly more than I expected.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Post by That Reviewer »

Picture books are wire easy for kids to follow. This is one also has a potential to make a good coloring book for kids.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Oh. This is an adorable and fun way to look at the water cycle and the different things that come of it. I really like the idea of a droplet school and the ways that can be used as a teaching tool as well.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

I share your admirations for the creativity of the author. Its also an educative piece and i will be reading it to my nieces. Thanks for the review.
jon_03
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jon_03 »

The book provides an easy and fast way for children to understand reading.The words are easy for growing children to understand and to comprehend.This is a very well thought out book and very well published.I give this book 5 out of 5 stars.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

The idea behind this story is extremely creative and interesting. I admire the author for combining something as random as two drops into an interesting story from which something can be learned!
KimberlyS88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimberlys88.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by KimberlyS88 »

I have to say, I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. The author is very clever.

Return to “Children's Books”