Official Review: Golden Cord of Arram by Walt Runkis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Golden Cord of Arram by Walt Runkis

Post by unamilagra »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Golden Cord of Arram" by Walt Runkis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Thirty-six years from now, the world is a bleak place to live. Global warming and ocean acidification have changed Earth’s climate and weather patterns. The human population is now over 10 billion, and there are not enough resources to go around. Automation and AI have made most jobs obsolete. Without a source of income, most people are now barely clinging to life. In addition, strange mutilations of cattle and humans have been reported, as well as incidents of UFO sightings and alien abductions. These claims have largely been ignored by the government. To make matters worse, a mysterious organization known as the Yuendi seems intent on wreaking havoc on the already stressed populace. Its dealings range from simple pranks, such as hacking traffic systems to create citywide traffic jams, to much more sinister acts.

It is in this setting that Willy Morro, a former marine and special agent, is recalled from his retirement to investigate the gruesome murders of two agents attempting to track the Yuendi. Assigned to work with him is Bill McAlister, a “by the book” agent who isn’t exactly thrilled to be stuck with Morro, who is known for his surly manner and unorthodox methods. Together the two men follow the clues down strange and dangerous paths, eventually teaming up with Mary Jamison, a microbiology post-grad at the University of Washington, as well as a whole team of people dedicated to getting to the bottom of the Yuendi and its possible connection to a predatory alien race.

The Golden Cord of Arram is the first book in a trilogy by Walt Runkis. The unique concept and multiple twists and turns made it difficult for me to put the book down, as I never knew what would happen next. The novel was told in the third-person narrative, and it switched back and forth between several different characters, including some of the antagonists. The book ended with a cliffhanger that left me itching to get my hands on the second book in the series.

In addition to the engaging and exciting plot of the story, I really enjoyed the characters. The main characters were all well fleshed out. Although they all had some quirks, I found all of them likable in their own ways. The secondary characters each contributed something to the story as well. I also enjoyed the near-future setting. The author explained how climate change and overpopulation had changed the world landscape in very realistic ways. Some interesting technological advances made the book fun to read, such as the SilentSync helmets that allowed Bill and Morro to be able to talk without being overheard, even by those with listening devices.

This is a science fiction story with a unique blend of science and religious elements. As the author himself is a scientist, it comes as no surprise that scientists and scientific theories feature heavily in his story. The book also compares the possible alien attack on our world to the end times referenced in the Bible. These areas are not ones that I am particularly familiar with, so I found myself having to stop reading to research things from time to time. I personally didn’t mind learning something new while reading the book, but for those who are not interested in hard sciences or religion, this might be offputting.

The only major issue that detracted from the book was the number of errors I found. None of the errors were excessively distracting, but I did find more than ten, which forces me to rate The Golden Cord of Arram 3 out of 4 stars. Otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed the book and am eagerly awaiting the second book in the trilogy. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys lots of action and a heavy dose of science in their science fiction novels.

Golden Cord of Arram
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

If the world ends up this bad, id probably be glad to be abducted by aliens. Maybe they would have somewhere better to take me, that hasnt been destroyed by greed. Although if theyre predatory aliens then maybe not. Lol.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a chilling story for a couple of reasons: the bleak future world because of overpopulation and climate change on Earth, as well as an invasion by an alien race. I think I would enjoy it. However, I usually avoid books that end on cliffhangers. I will have to put some thought into this. Great review, my friend!
Shabram22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Breaking the Chain by Patricia Rossi

Post by Shabram22 »

I guess, everything that we fear today happens in this book. I would like to see how horrible it is predicted to be and see how it is solved. But aliens.... I find that hard to believe. Thanks for an interesting review!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for another well-written, insightful review! Your description of the main characters has whet my appetite for this book. I don't care for cliffhanger endings, but the story does sound really interesting. I need to take a look at the sample on Amazon.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

This sounds like a competently written science fiction novel with elements of mystery. The scenario painted by the premise is quite bleak but sadly possible at the rate we're going. Thanks for the review!
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones

Post by Maria Esposito »

Although this is a science-fiction book, I couldn’t help but notice how some of the things that you mentioned in your review sound painfully realistic and likely to happen. Thank you for this vibrant and informative review.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

This will surely come, but don't you think that thirty-six years is way too soon? I'd like to read this one. It sounds interesting.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Putting together elements from science fiction and religion to project today's situation into a bleak future isn't easy, but the author seems to have done it for an intriguing story. Thank your for your review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

Your review makes it sound like this book is intriguing and a page-turner. The author must be a great writer to be able to juxtapose science fiction and religion. I look forward to reading this one. Thanks.
unamilagra

Post by unamilagra »

Amy747 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 01:54 If the world ends up this bad, id probably be glad to be abducted by aliens. Maybe they would have somewhere better to take me, that hasnt been destroyed by greed. Although if theyre predatory aliens then maybe not. Lol.
Thank you for commenting!

Prisallen wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 17:51 This sounds like a chilling story for a couple of reasons: the bleak future world because of overpopulation and climate change on Earth, as well as an invasion by an alien race. I think I would enjoy it. However, I usually avoid books that end on cliffhangers. I will have to put some thought into this. Great review, my friend!
Thank you for stopping by!

Shabram22 wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 09:35 I guess, everything that we fear today happens in this book. I would like to see how horrible it is predicted to be and see how it is solved. But aliens.... I find that hard to believe. Thanks for an interesting review!
I liked that this book mixed real-life dangers with some that are less believable. Thanks for your comment!

bookowlie wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 12:33 Thanks for another well-written, insightful review! Your description of the main characters has whet my appetite for this book. I don't care for cliffhanger endings, but the story does sound really interesting. I need to take a look at the sample on Amazon.
I hope you decide to check it out! Thanks for commenting.

Tomah wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 14:11 This sounds like a competently written science fiction novel with elements of mystery. The scenario painted by the premise is quite bleak but sadly possible at the rate we're going. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for stopping by to comment!

espo wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 15:18 Although this is a science-fiction book, I couldn’t help but notice how some of the things that you mentioned in your review sound painfully realistic and likely to happen. Thank you for this vibrant and informative review.
Yes, they definitely do. Thanks for commenting!

Julius_ wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 21:56 This will surely come, but don't you think that thirty-six years is way too soon? I'd like to read this one. It sounds interesting.
The world's population is actually projected to exceed 10 billion by 2050, so it actually doesn't seem too far off base. Thanks for stopping by!

NetMassimo wrote: 17 Feb 2020, 04:57 Putting together elements from science fiction and religion to project today's situation into a bleak future isn't easy, but the author seems to have done it for an intriguing story. Thank your for your review!
Thanks for commenting!

Nkoo wrote: 17 Feb 2020, 13:24 Your review makes it sound like this book is intriguing and a page-turner. The author must be a great writer to be able to juxtapose science fiction and religion. I look forward to reading this one. Thanks.
I hope you enjoy it if you check it out. Thanks for your comment!
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

The theme highlighted, global warming, is affecting the world today. I'd say this book shades light on things we see happening and I'd love to know the authors opinions regarding the issue of global warming. I find delight when I read science fiction novel with a heavy dose of science. I will read the book. Thank you for offering us a detailed and profound review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

Wow, a science fiction book actually written by a scientist. Definitely sounds intriguing, I'd love to try this one. Thanks for the review!
unamilagra

Post by unamilagra »

Nerea wrote: 19 Feb 2020, 04:00 The theme highlighted, global warming, is affecting the world today. I'd say this book shades light on things we see happening and I'd love to know the authors opinions regarding the issue of global warming. I find delight when I read science fiction novel with a heavy dose of science. I will read the book. Thank you for offering us a detailed and profound review.

I hope you enjoy the book! Thanks for your comment!

rumik wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 20:06 Wow, a science fiction book actually written by a scientist. Definitely sounds intriguing, I'd love to try this one. Thanks for the review!
I hope you decide to check it out! Thanks for commenting!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds right up my alley. I love books set in the future. In spite of the errors, I really need to look into reading this one. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”