Review by KDJ -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Review by KDJ -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by KDJ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nelson Mandela said: “The greatest glory in living lies not in never failing, but in rising every time we fail.” We all have times in our lives when challenges arise. How we handle these transitional periods will determine whether we are successful or fail. Jorge P. Newbery describes his personal experiences with tough times, (which he calls burn zones) in his appropriately titled memoir, Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands.

Early in life, Newbery sought opportunities to work, learn, and invest. Gaining a fantastic work ethic from his parents, he finds the very things he considers flaws in himself to be his strengths. Newbery gives readers an inside look into the ups and downs of his business success and failures. By perpetuating a cycle of persevering, recovering, and moving on, Jorge is able to rebound (to a certain extent) from his burn zones.

I like that Newbery writes his narrative in a conversational tone, resulting in a memoir that comes across as engaging for readers. Furthermore, I appreciate that the writing is straight-forward and not inundated with jargon that some readers may need to look up to understand. Especially, since we follow him through multiple different career paths. I also enjoyed this book because of its overall poignant and motivational message. It flows easily and is a page-turner from beginning to end.

There are multiple life lessons found in Burn Zones, and there are also instances that cause reflection on what we are reading; for example, I personally never thought of the phrases “ We were unable to reach … for comment.”, and “Phone messages for … were not immediately returned.” I have heard these or similar phrases at least once a week on news channels, never considering what they imply. News is very fluid and in constant motion; thus, news programs contain information recently obtained within the last 1 to 12 hours. Broadcast nightly, it leaves little to no time to refute allegations. Once in the public sphere, opinions on allegations alone can easily ruin a good reputation. Unfortunately, Burn Zones also shows readers not all news organizations and government officials are fair and unbiased.

I enjoyed this book because of its inspirational message that we are our own magic bullet, and that most times, we can get ourselves through our burn zones. There is nothing I did not enjoy about this book. I recommend Burn Zones to friends that enjoy motivational and inspirational books, but I think all readers will enjoy this memoir. I found no grammatical errors; therefore I think it is professionally edited. I easily give Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery 4 out of 4 stars.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

AvocaDebo621 wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 18:11 The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂
Thank you for reading my review. I enjoyed reading Burn Zones also. I love reading books that make me think. And I liked his writing style, it could have got really bad when he retold his experience and intentions of the city. I am happy it was not a cheesy and misleading instant success book. :roll: Overall, this is really a good read and a nice autobiography. :D :D
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”