Official Review: Guilty Photographs by SI Taylor

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
InStoree
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 205
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Official Review: Guilty Photographs by SI Taylor

Post by InStoree »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Guilty Photographs" by SI Taylor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Guilty Photographs, by S.I. Taylor, is a suspenseful thriller of nearly 400 pages with an intriguing plot and realistic characters that deserves nothing less than 4 out of 4 stars. The editorial team did an incredible job delivering a professional literary work with almost no grammatical errors. I only found a few missing commas, but they could be easily missed. Considering the setting of the novel, the expletives used seemed appropriate and, in some instances, brought out the emotion of the characters involved.

If you’d like to be part of a federal investigation, scanning through crime scenes for hidden clues and connecting all the dots, then this crime novel is for you. Also, those who enjoy the adrenaline rush of a good nail-biter should read this book. As a trigger warning, please be aware that some of the content relates to graphic violence, sexual scenes, and rape. Set in a perilous environment where the threat of death is everywhere, this piece introduces you to a crime-filled world of drug deals, murder, illegal narcotics, and sexual abuse.

This novel describes the challenges faced by Barbara Wolf, a minor-league thief, whose main goal is to get out of Huntersville — a city where drugs, cheap sex, and death prevail. As such, she finds herself in precarious situations, especially after planning a heist with her partner, Nixon, a computer and technology mastermind. Chances of their mission succeeding start crumbling when a federal agent, Carter McKinley, arrives in town to solve a murder case involving the son of Nicholas Trivaldi Sr., an Italian drug lord. Will McKinley solve the case? What is the link that will bring McKinley, Barbara, and Nixon together?

The genuineness of the characters made it easy to develop a connection with them while reading the novel. The images and scenes that took shape in my mind — along with the tension, the mystery, and the twists — sparked the detective in me thanks to the author’s descriptive writing style. I admire her courage in discussing a sensitive subject such as the painful and often invisible physical and mental aspects of sexual abuse. Barbara is an inspiring character with remarkable qualities. The author’s encouraging afterword to those who “fell off the right path, but eventually found it again” inspired hope. “Just know that you should take it one step at a time[;] there’s no obstacle too big to overcome,” as the author says.

Other fine details that I appreciated were the creative title and the women on the book’s cover, both of which perfectly fit the story. Huntersville is well-known for its skid row atmosphere, and it’s hard not to get caught in the web of fraud, manipulation, and lies. Who is at the center of the conspiracy? As much as it may seem like a ghost hunt with unpredictable twists and turns, agent McKinley seems determined to catch the criminals and bring them to justice. But can the feds effectively do their job going by the book? Or do they need to break some protocols to achieve true justice?

Guilty Photographs
View: on Bookshelves
Keep It Stupid Simple!

xoxoAnushka
2019 Reading Goal: 1
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by xoxoAnushka »

It seems like that the author has done a great job in keeping reader's interest alive, as well as producing goosebumps-inducing moments. Great review!

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: The Drowned World
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Peter Street:Treasure by Philip Sparrowhawk

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a story full of violence. Don't get me wrong, in a thriller it can make sense. Certainly the setting for this novel is perfect for violence. Thank you for your useful review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Shabram22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Breaking the Chain by Patricia Rossi

Post by Shabram22 »

This books sounds like it has all the "feels". I'm very interested in reading this book. Thanks for your review!

djr6090
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Currently Reading: Inheritance
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: Fables of Arianna by Mary Ranney Hagenbuch

Post by djr6090 »

I liked your review format. The questions at the end really make me want to read this book. Thanks for your words.

Salma_asa
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by Salma_asa »

The book seems like quite a good supernatural thriller . I am eager to read this. You wrote a great review.

Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 290
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Sons of the Red Dragon by Mardi Lynn Roselius

Post by Juliet+1 »

I love a good nail-biter, and when it comes with interesting characters too, well, that's perfection. Thanks for a great review. :D

InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

xoxoAnushka wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 08:34
It seems like that the author has done a great job in keeping reader's interest alive, as well as producing goosebumps-inducing moments. Great review!
Thank you, Anushka! I hope you'll give it a try. I appreciate your comment.
NetMassimo wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 09:26
This seems a story full of violence. Don't get me wrong, in a thriller it can make sense. Certainly the setting for this novel is perfect for violence. Thank you for your useful review!
My pleasure, Massimo! Personally, I don't consider it a book full of violence, but this overview might be subjective. Yes, it does contain some sexual abuse scenes, but overall, I was attracted more by its suspenseful storyline and the lifestyle of the rough neighborhood. However, I do understand your point of view, and this might be disturbing for some readers, but if the turbulence setting doesn't bother you, I hope you'll take into consideration this book. Thank you for sharing your perspective!
Shabram22 wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 09:42
This books sounds like it has all the "feels". I'm very interested in reading this book. Thanks for your review!
Happy reading, Shabram! :techie-studyinggray: Thanks for stopping by!
djr6090 wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 10:40
I liked your review format. The questions at the end really make me want to read this book. Thanks for your words.
Thank You, djr! Enjoy your reading! :tiphat:
Salma_asa wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 10:55
The book seems like quite a good supernatural thriller . I am eager to read this. You wrote a great review.
I couldn't recall any supernatural aspects as all the characters and the storyline is quite realistic. Anyway, I love your enthusiasm, and I hope you'll enjoy the book. Thank you for your kind words, Salma!
Juliet+1 wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 18:31
I love a good nail-biter, and when it comes with interesting characters too, well, that's perfection. Thanks for a great review. :D
I hear you. Hopefully, you'll spend some great, tensioned moments within the story. Thanks for reading it, Juliet!

Once again, thank you all, my fellow readers, for your time and thoughtful comments!
:romance-grouphug:
Keep It Stupid Simple!

Amy747
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

Wow! This story sounds so interesting. I will definitely have to add this to my bookshelf. Great review!

InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Amy747 wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 04:10
Wow! This story sounds so interesting. I will definitely have to add this to my bookshelf. Great review!
Thanks, Amy! Happy reading! :techie-reference:
Keep It Stupid Simple!

Tehreem000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tehreem000.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Tehreem000 »

This book looks good. I'm going to find it for sure.
P.S. I loved the way you started your review and managed to say so much in a few words. :clap:

Julius_
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

This sounds like a great crime mystery novel. That's definitely my genre. I'll take a look. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: Family Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for another insightful review! I like investigative mysteries where the reader has to tie the crime scene clues together. I'm glad to hear the curse words were a good fit within the scenes, since some authors just throw in a bunch of curse words for shock value.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

sanjus
2019 Reading Goal: 21
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus »

Thanks for your elaborate review about the book where the reader gets chance to make choices and involve in crime investigation. I had read the similar book Murder in which reader had to step into shoes of protagonist.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.

espo
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Diamond Girl
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espo.html
Latest Review: The Bullet Hill Diaries by Bennett Powers
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by espo »

Your review was very pleasant to read, I’m pretty sure you did the book justice! Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the book in such an insightful review.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”