Official Review: Through the Eyes of a Child

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Official Review: Through the Eyes of a Child

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Through the Eyes of a Child" by Gloria Wynter Christ.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Through the Eyes of a Child by Gloria Wynter Christ with Ronald Ellyson and Dr. Curt Wagner is not just another childhood abuse memoir. It is the author's autobiography detailing her life from childhood through the present. One of seventeen children Christ reveals the terror she and her siblings suffered at the hand of their mother throughout childhood, and the effects it has had on her adult life. The author's father would come to visit once a year, bringing new clothes, shoes, and toys. When he left, her mother took all of the new things away, and the children were left wearing their old, tattered clothes. They rarely had enough food to go around, so they fought each other over what little they had. Their mother would have parties and allow her guests to have sex with her children for money. The process of the adults choosing which child they wanted for the night was beyond degrading. Christ and her siblings were beaten by their mother regularly. Christ was targeted by her mother frequently, and the basement seemed to be her torture chamber. She feared her mother would one day kill her. However, when the author was fifteen, her mother sold her to a man for $500. Unfortunately, that was not the end of her struggles.

Gloria Wynter Christ narrates her story candidly in her own words, with vivid and explicit details of the abuse she endured during childhood that carried over into her adult relationships as well. She was so traumatized by the violent abuse she has had a life-long battle trying to suppress the anger within. Her early adult life consisted of hanging out in bars, drinking, and dancing, not knowing how to turn her life around. Christ's story is so intense I clamped my hand over my mouth in horror several times while reading it. She was protective over her children and ready to fight anyone who might hurt them, yet there were times she beat them herself. She would challenge anyone who got in the way of what she wanted to do, even if she had to use violence.

What I liked most about this book were the people the author met along her journey through life who showed her unconditional love and acceptance. She introduces the reader to those who have touched her life in positive ways as she has struggled to put the memories of abuse, and her early out-of-control behavior as an adult to rest. After a tragic childhood and an out-of-control adult life of drinking and partying, she needed love and guidance from someone who genuinely cared about her. The one she sought love and advice from most of all was God. (The author refers to God by his Hebrew name Yah'uah Elohim and Jesus as Yah'shua, the Messiah).

What I disliked most was the book cover. It did not appeal to me, although I understand why the author chose it. Christ began to focus on serving God and helping others. However, that path has been fraught with detours as well. She does not try to force her religious views on anyone; however, she is not shy about speaking out about salvation and including scripture from the Bible into her narrative. While this is not a book about religion, the author does explain the way to salvation to her readers.

Sadly, I found multiple errors in the book. There were spelling and punctuation errors, which were somewhat distracting as I read. The book would benefit significantly from professional editing, which I hope the author will consider. Due to the multiple errors, I cannot give this book a perfect rating. Therefore, I rate Through the Eyes of a Child by Gloria Wynter Christ with Ronald Ellyson and Dr. Curt Wagner 3 out of 4 stars. This book is worth reading. I recommend it to those who are struggling with severe life issues, and to Christians of every faith. Those who might be offended by the religious aspect of the book may not want to read this one.

Through the Eyes of a Child
View: on Bookshelves
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

The author sounds like a brave woman to have been able to write about her trauma and to overcome it all.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Amy747 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 10:25 The author sounds like a brave woman to have been able to write about her trauma and to overcome it all.
The type of abuse she went through was unbelievable! It was so much more than being beaten, it was the worst kind of abuse I have ever heard of for a child. I really don't know how she survived! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! :tiphat:
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Her childhood years sound so horrific. Thankfully she was able to break from the cycle of abuse. Your review is very moving with your reaction that I am on the fence as to whether I should try the book. More my personal reaction to what I would read is why I hesitate.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Mounce574 wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 20:09 Her childhood years sound so horrific. Thankfully she was able to break from the cycle of abuse. Your review is very moving with your reaction that I am on the fence as to whether I should try the book. More my personal reaction to what I would read is why I hesitate.
Absolutely! I understand where you are coming from. It is a heart-wrenching story. There were parts where I teared up, where I cringed, and where I got just downright angry! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Lala41
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lala41 »

Great book sad childhood . Very strong woman to overcome all that she endured.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Lala41 wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 20:50 Great book sad childhood . Very strong woman to overcome all that she endured.
Absolutely! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! :tiphat:
B. Creech

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”