Official Review: Not Without Question by D.J. Brown

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Official Review: Not Without Question by D.J. Brown

Post by Fazzier »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Not Without Question" by D.J. Brown.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine losing your sight in adulthood and having to adjust to living the kind of life you were having before the incident. It can be hard, painful, and confusing, all at the same time, but one thing is for sure: it is a very challenging life encounter, just like most abrupt changes in life, and it requires acceptance and all manner of concerted efforts to feel comfortable again. In this memoir, Not Without Question, D.J. Brown reflects and chronicles how she coped up after losing her vision as a young adult. She expresses the kinds of questions that formed in her mind such as why her, among others, and how she approached them and adjusted to living the kind of life she had before the life-changing ordeal. Apart from that, she narrates the kinds of support different people in her life gave have, her contribution to the National Federation of the Blind, and how she has been utilizing her life ever since. I liked the author's positivity and how she inspiringly told this story.

I also liked how well she wrote and executed this work. The author's accounts are coherent, interesting, and chronological. She exquisitely conveys her feelings and inner emotions, and this gives a transparent narration of everything she went through. She's transparent and honest enough to show the readers all the details of everything she was experiencing. The language used is also simple enough and, for that reason, a wide range of audiences can follow this story without any difficulty.

My favorite aspect of this book was the author's positivity and her strong, unwavering belief in God. I liked her faith and the drive to live her best despite all the challenges life threw her. She was determined to live her life fully and believed that she could do all the things she was capable of before, only that she had to find a unique way of doing it. I found all that inspiring and, therefore, all readers who want a book that reminds them to exert themselves should give this a consideration.

However, although I didn't find anything serious to dislike about this book, I had a certain subjective concern regarding its execution. The timeframe of the author's story does not come out clearly. This, consequently, makes it hard for readers to figure out the actual time period this story started; whether it was the twentieth or twenty-first century. Even though I'm sure it must have begun somewhere in the twentieth century, giving the exact time pointers such as “In 1990...” or “In 2005...”, among others, would have given a more actual and verifiable feel to the author's story than the one it is having now. Anyway, just like I said, the concern is only subjective and does not really take away from the story. Maybe the author just wanted to keep an air of fantasy or some level of privacy, and whichever the case, it does not influence my final rating.

All in all, I believe this book was professionally edited since I found just a few minor errors. Since the errors we're not distracting, I'm glad to award Not Without Question by D.J. Brown 4 out of 4 stars. I've given it such a perfect rating due to the inspiration it brings to readers that no matter what happens in life and the questions life throws us, we've just got to stand up, dust our clothes, find answers to the questions in life, and move on. For that reason, I highly recommend this for all people looking for an inspiring memoir. Although there was no sexual content at all, I managed to identify some profanity. However, they were not that intense, making this book suitable for a wide range of audiences. The only people I can caution against picking this are those who are not into memoirs and readers who may be affected by the incorporation of Christian faith.

Not Without Question
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sophy Chunge
Currently Reading: The Touch
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-centfie.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by Sophy Chunge »

What a concise review! It makes me want to read the book because of the "inspiration it brings to readers." I always enjoy a book in which the author gives raw details of experiences.
“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.” Stephen King
xoxoAnushka
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by xoxoAnushka »

What an inspiring memoir! It seems a good deal of watching struggles, faith, and reassurance. Nice review!
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

It always warms my heart when people use their challenges as a way to inspire others. I hope writing the book was as beneficial to the author as it will be to those who will read it. Great review!
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

I cant imagine how hard it would be to lose ones sight at any time in ones life. Yet this woman admirably managed to stay positive and live her life to the fullest.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Wow. I can't even imagine how horrible that would be. It sounds like a really inspiring story in that she was able to remain so positive despite such devastating loss. Thanks for a well-written review. I enjoyed your analysis of the book.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

I agree, it must have been really difficult for her to transition into her new life. It's a common saying that disability is a club that everyone wouldn't want to join, but can join anytime. I applaud her positivism. Great review!
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”