Official Review: Distorted Days by Louise Worthington

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: Distorted Days by Louise Worthington

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Distorted Days" by Louise Worthington.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Distorted Days is a fiction book by Louise Worthington. It centres around the unexpected blows that life can send our way and finding the strength, courage, and support to keep going.

John walks out on Doris and their marriage without warning and offers no explanation. What is worse is that he leaves her for Lisa, Doris' best friend. The betrayal shatters Doris and leads to her miscarriage. She shrinks within herself, within the walls of her marital home, and escapes within the pages of her beloved fictional books. She dares not step out into the world. The solace she finds within her home is put to an abrupt stop when John sends an estate agent to sell the house, which belongs solely to him due to a prenuptial agreement. She must gather the courage to pick up the pieces of her life and move forward.

What I loved most about Distorted Days is its multifaceted characters. The characters are very human, flawed, and in some moments experience irrational thoughts and emotions. For instance, Doris experiences recurring daydreams about revenge. This desire for revenge seems out of character for selfless Doris. And yet, considering the circumstances, it fits perfectly and creates a more credible, realistic Doris. The author uses poetic language to present these recurring daydreams, altering minute details each time according to Doris' state of mind and emotional progress. The way the recurring daydreams were integrated into the story was effortless and natural. I feel that the author has taken the same amount of care and effort with the other characters, giving them a rich depth.

The divorce pushes Doris into a deep depression. I really appreciate how the author approached the issue of depression. Doris' doctor tells her that events themselves are not the cause of mental ill-health. Rather, the way we interpret those events makes the difference. And that is something I plan on remembering and using in my own life going forward.

My only complaint is that I was left with so many unanswered questions after the reason behind John's sudden departure was revealed. I realise though, that in leaving her readers with unanswered questions, the author was able to create a story that felt true-to-life. We don't always understand the reasons behind people's actions and behaviours.

Distorted Days is written in prose, and the author uses poetic devices to grip her readers. It is impeccably edited, and I thoroughly enjoyed its storyline, especially as its ending is far from being clichéd. Despite containing heavy themes like depression, it had moments that made me laugh. Therefore, I see it fit to give it a perfect 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to women who enjoy literary fiction.

Distorted Days
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

Depression is a hard tool to master when writing. It really depends on how you handle and execute it. Nonetheless, It does sound like an interesting book. Thanks for the review!
xoxoAnushka
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by xoxoAnushka »

The plot looks interesting, even the thought of finding strength, courage and love seems enticing. Wonderful review!
Rylante Rogers
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rylante Rogers »

Being able to portray depression into a book is a skill in itself.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 05:37 I thoroughly enjoyed its storyline, especially as its ending is far from being clichéd. Despite containing heavy themes like depression, it had moments that made me laugh.
This sounds like a balanced read. That reference to the ending gives me hope that Doris makes it through okay. Thanks for a great review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I like novels with multifaceted characters too. This looks like a very realistic book. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

Doris's world is a scary one. I do agree with Doris's doctor that our reality is largely affected by our interpretation of circumstances that happen to us but it's hard not to think a certain way when terrible things have happened to you. It sounds like a fascinating read. Thanks for doing a review on it.
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

The plot and scope of this book sounds very interesting. It makes me want to read it and find out more!

Thanks for the review!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I love the variation on style you mentioned and it does seem apt for describing a dream much less several. You're also right about the ending being true to life as things aren't always answered.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

Thanks for the over view of the book. It sounds very human demonstrating life's ups and downs, as well as real events we can identify with.

Thank you for the review
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones

Post by Maria Esposito »

This sounds like a book I would love to read! You wrote a truly wonderful review that does justice to the book.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

I can somewhat relate to the sudden betrayal of someone close and the fallout one must face as a result of their selfish abandonment.
Maria Ferreira Silva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-ferreira-silva.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Maria Ferreira Silva »

Great review! Distorted Days by Louise Worthington is a ficcional novel about the unexpected things that happen in our life and how to move forward.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: The Big Necesscaries by Beth Weiler

Post by Christell Lindeque »

This a fiction book, which is about a woman who went through so many hurtful things. This book shows you how she processes it and what happens next. Great review.
Abdul-Malik Hassan
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Linnea Tanner
Currently Reading: How to jumpstart your faith in 21 days!
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdul-malik-hassan.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur
fav_author_id: 79732

Post by Abdul-Malik Hassan »

It sounds intriguing. The use of poetry makes this book rather exceptional in an attempt to convey the message that it upholds.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”