Official Review: Our Autumn Years; not golden but interes...

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Official Review: Our Autumn Years; not golden but interes...

Post by Bianka Walter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Our Autumn Years; not golden but interesting" by Arthur Hartz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Our Autumn Years; not golden but interesting is a book that consists of single-pane comics and short-phrase banners. In a very creative way, it brings attention to some of the thought-provoking events that occur through getting older. For some reason, this is a topic that is avoided by many people, but Arthur Hartz, the author, has hit the nail on the head with his ironic and sometimes dark comics. In seven chapters covering the majority of what it means to get old, Hartz embraces the intricacies of the aged in a truly unique and appealing way.

As I mentioned above, speaking about getting old, especially with someone who is elderly, is not something that people tend to do. People would rather just avoid these delicate topics completely than try to awkwardly ramble about things they may know nothing about. This is a tough subject, and the only way to truthfully capture its difficulties without offence is through humour. Hartz accomplishes this with grace and hilarity.

An added bonus was the effect the comics had on me. Not only are they an accurate representation of what it’s like to get older, but they also reflect the distressing state of society. The treatment that the elderly receive, whether we realise it or not, is patronising at best, and offensive at worst. It is a reminder that older people are not a separate species who need to be treated differently, but instead that they have had lives full of experiences which could be learnt from.

I know – all this from a few comics, right?

But, this does go to show the strength a few truths can hold. Along with the comics, there are a few banners scattered throughout the pages. These consist of epigrams that reflect the tone of the book. One of my favourites is, “My days of having a train of thought are past. Now I have butterflies of thought.” These little witticisms are a great way to break up the comics and added wonderful value to the illustrations.

The only problem that I had with this book is that there were, unfortunately, a few comics that were beyond my understanding. I’m not sure if they just went over my head, or if I was missing something vital, but I just didn’t get them. I think the author may have been trying to say too much with too few words which ultimately led to some of the comics being confusing. However, this definitely did not take away from my overall enjoyment of the book.

I happily give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to people of all ages, even though it is a book about getting older. It is a great guide to remind us to treat all people with respect, including and especially those that may have a few years on us. There is a definite sadness to the book, and I’ll end with one of Hartz’s poignantly profound notes: “Someday, someone will understand what interesting people we were.”

Our Autumn Years; not golden but interesting
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

This sounds like an amazing book. It takes skill to handle sensitive topics in an open way with humor thrown into the mix. Thanks for an excellent review! You've interested me.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
JoyALB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyalb.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by JoyALB »

Excellent review! It sounds like a really great book that deals with a sensitive, yet extremely important topic. I would definitely give it a read.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Laura Lee wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 15:03 This sounds like an amazing book. It takes skill to handle sensitive topics in an open way with humor thrown into the mix. Thanks for an excellent review! You've interested me.
Well, I'm happy to hear that :)
Thanks so much for commenting!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Oh wow, this sounds like quite the sentimental read, Bianka! I like to think of autumn as a poignant and surrealistic kind of season, and the mood seems perfect for the subject matter. Thanks for an amazing review as always! (:
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

Sounds like a great read. I appreciate that the lesson is about respecting others, especially the elderly. As people age, they can get to a state where they highly depend on others and is hard for them to express what they need.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like a very unique book, both in topic and in format. You made it sound very intriguing! Thanks for a great review.
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

What an interesting way to tackle a sensitive subject. The quotes sound beautiful too.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Hi Bianka! This sounds quite intriguing for a book in the comic genre--thanks for the recommendation.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

JoyALB wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 15:17 Excellent review! It sounds like a really great book that deals with a sensitive, yet extremely important topic. I would definitely give it a read.
Thank you! I appreciate your comments :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

gen_g wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 18:43 Oh wow, this sounds like quite the sentimental read, Bianka! I like to think of autumn as a poignant and surrealistic kind of season, and the mood seems perfect for the subject matter. Thanks for an amazing review as always! (:
Ah, thanks Gen! Always such kind words - I appreciate it!
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Helene_2008 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 19:54 Sounds like a great read. I appreciate that the lesson is about respecting others, especially the elderly. As people age, they can get to a state where they highly depend on others and is hard for them to express what they need.
It is a great read! I really enjoyed it :)
Thank you for stopping by.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

unamilagra wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 22:42 This sounds like a very unique book, both in topic and in format. You made it sound very intriguing! Thanks for a great review.
Oh, I love to see your name in gold! I hope your month is treating you well :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Amy747 wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 03:07 What an interesting way to tackle a sensitive subject. The quotes sound beautiful too.
The quotes are a crazy mixture between sad, hilarious, and gorgeous. Such a ride :)
Thank you for commenting!
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Cecilia_L wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 14:25 Hi Bianka! This sounds quite intriguing for a book in the comic genre--thanks for the recommendation.
Totally out of the norm for a comic book.
I love it!
Thank you Cecilia :)
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”