Official Review: Norah by Cynthia Argil

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Official Review: Norah by Cynthia Argil

Post by Laura Lee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Norah" by Cynthia Argil.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Norah by Cynthia Argil is the story of one woman’s triumph of faith in the face of devastating loss. Argil came from humble beginnings. When she was 12, she lost her mother under shocking circumstances that would do a soap opera proud. The following years were difficult. At 15, she got pregnant with her first child; at 16, she got pregnant with her second. At 20, she married an alcoholic.

After her husband gave his heart to God, he tried to share his new-found joy with his wife but Argil was skeptical. It took a while, but eventually Argil gave her heart to God, too. The years that followed were marked by a growing knowledge of the Bible and an increasing joy in the Lord. The couple built a prosperous business and life was good. Then tragedy struck; not once, but twice. Argil’s faith in God and her assurance of His love were deeply shaken. Then slowly, through the agony and tears, she began to see that He had never left her but had always been with her. From her earliest memories, her loving heavenly Father had been drawing her to Him and her faith was restored, stronger than ever.

I enjoyed reading Norah. The writing was clear and direct without a lot of flowery embellishments. Argil had a tough upbringing and, as a result, it made her a very hard person. The author is very honest about her struggles and failings and makes no attempt to make excuses. She is also just as straightforward about the turning point that made the difference: her own personal conversion experience with God.

This book would appeal to anyone who appreciates uplifting conquering-over-adversity stories. It would appeal most, however, to those who share Argil’s Christian beliefs. Norah is unapologetically Argil’s personal, spiritual testimony. In the book, she shares her many personal conversations with God. She firmly believes God has spoken to her through dreams and the various events of her life, drawing her into a closer, more intimate relationship with Him. The title of the book itself is the new name Argil believes God gave her.

The book has been professionally edited and there really was nothing in the book that I particularly disliked. As a personal memoir of one woman’s spiritual walk, it is a glimpse into the pivotal moments of the author’s life. I will admit, speaking subjectively, that a fair amount of the book felt quite detached. It read almost as though it were taken out of a factual report, rather than the moving saga of one woman’s triumph over hardship. A little humor thrown in here and there would have softened the report-like feeling and helped establish a stronger emotional connection to the author and her family. However, that’s simply personal preference and not something for which I could justify subtracting a star. I am happy to give Norah four out of four stars.

Norah
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Salma_asa
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by Salma_asa »

From your review, the book seems quite inspiring. I am eager to read this. You wrote a good review.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I thought this book looked interesting, and I enjoyed your insightful review.
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

This book looks so good! I love Christian fiction books like these. I'll have to add this one to my reading list! Thanks for your insight and great review.
mosekim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mosekim »

Despite the fact that this beautiful story was written by a woman, I like it. Putting my bias in view, it is all my type look for in a book. The review brings major aspects out- spiritual journey and assurance in God- to empower its reader. Great review!
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Deprise Evans wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 16:34 This book looks so good! I love Christian fiction books like these. I'll have to add this one to my reading list! Thanks for your insight and great review.
Thanks for your comment, Deprise Evans. :) Actually, I don't think it's fiction. This is the story of the author's life, her struggles, her conversion, and her triumphs. :) Thanks for reading and leaving a comment!
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

mosekim wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 17:52 Despite the fact that this beautiful story was written by a woman, I like it. Putting my bias in view, it is all my type look for in a book. The review brings major aspects out- spiritual journey and assurance in God- to empower its reader. Great review!
Thanks for leaving a comment, mosekim. It really is an uplifting book. :)
Laura Lee

xoxoAnushka
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by xoxoAnushka »

It seems like the main character has progressed through many struggles. It's very nice to know that she found peace and serenity in her spiritual journey. Thumbs up for you review!
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Cecilia_L wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 12:25 I thought this book looked interesting, and I enjoyed your insightful review.
Thanks so much, Cecilia, for taking the time to read it and leave a comment. :)
Laura Lee

Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Salma_asa wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 10:51 From your review, the book seems quite inspiring. I am eager to read this. You wrote a good review.
Thanks for your comment, Salma. If you do read the book, I hope you enjoy it. :)
Laura Lee

Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

xoxoAnushka wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 00:08 It seems like the main character has progressed through many struggles. It's very nice to know that she found peace and serenity in her spiritual journey. Thumbs up for you review!
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!
Laura Lee

Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I love that: 'without flowery embellishments'.
What a wonderful review - thank you!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Bianka Walter wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 15:31 I love that: 'without flowery embellishments'.
What a wonderful review - thank you!

Thanks so much for taking the time to read it! :D
Laura Lee

Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I'd be interesting to read this and she what all Argil had to go through. She is definitely put in some tough circumstances from what you describe in your review.
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Helene_2008 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 20:02 I'd be interesting to read this and she what all Argil had to go through. She is definitely put in some tough circumstances from what you describe in your review.
Thanks for your comment, Helene. Yes, she certainly went through hardships that would make even the strongest person waver. The thing that impressed me the most was what she was able to do with her life despite the hardships. She built a good life and has a loving family anyway. It's very impressive.
Laura Lee

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”