Review by Charlyt -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Review by Charlyt -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Charlyt »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jorge is an entrepreneur-minded person who started working at the age of seven by delivering newspapers in his neighborhood. He dropped out of school when he was fifteen to focus more on his business, convinced that he can surpass real-life challenges. This led him to become a loan originator and eventually transitioned into real estate. Having owned 4,000 units across the country, he challenged himself to risk buying apartments with slum conditions and then turn them around. When an ice storm happened in 2004, everything started falling apart. He began losing money, getting bad press, criminal charges, and finally ended up in debt.

Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands is a non-fiction and inspirational book written by Jorge P. Newbery. It is written like an autobiography wherein he narrates his business ventures leading to his downfall and how he coped with its aftermath. He starts the book by enumerating his flaws and his strengths, which were reflective of his relationships with other people when doing business. He uses the term “burn zone”, from when he used to race bicycles, to define instances when a person induces extreme effort to win at something.

The book was easy to read. It didn’t have a lot of technical terms, and the narration flowed smoothly. What I liked most about it was that it didn’t give clear-cut instructions on what one should do when one ends up failing at something. Instead, the author simply told his story of what happened to him, what he learned from it, and how he was able to manage. I thought this was good because not everyone has the same kind of failure and you cannot push one specific method that will work on everyone. He also indicated out his burn zones so that the reader could recognize them and pointed out that a reward will come once you get out of them. I also liked that the author focused only on his business enterprise and did not include any unnecessary events that might be distracting.

There wasn’t anything I particularly disliked about the book. I thought that 200-plus pages were just enough to tell his story and inspire without it getting dull. I didn’t find any errors, so the book seemed professionally edited, and I also only found one swear word in the entire narrative.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The book was written very well and I cannot find a reason to deduct a point. I think anyone can benefit from it even if one just needs pointers on how to interact with people. I would recommend it to readers who like inspirational books or to those who have their own business venture, especially people who are working in real estate.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

I also think it's good that he simply told his story instead of giving advice that might not be applicable. Great review!
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

Rayasaurus wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 19:25 I also think it's good that he simply told his story instead of giving advice that might not be applicable. Great review!
Thanks for your comment!
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

After reading and reviewing this book, I have to agree with you that the author was extremely hardworking. I like your review. Thanks for it.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I'm currently reading this book and I have to agree with you: one of my favorite things about it is that the author does not claim to have a "key" to unlock everyone's success, he is just telling his own story. Thank you for your insightful review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

Julius_ wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 06:13 After reading and reviewing this book, I have to agree with you that the author was extremely hardworking. I like your review. Thanks for it.
It was amazing how committed he was. Thanks for your comment!
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

espo wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 12:11 I'm currently reading this book and I have to agree with you: one of my favorite things about it is that the author does not claim to have a "key" to unlock everyone's success, he is just telling his own story. Thank you for your insightful review!
I also think that is why the book just a good story to read. Thanks for your comment!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

The journey from a newspaper delivery boy to real estate tycoon seems to be quite inspirational to read. Thanks for your insightful review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

I'm currently reading this book and so far so good I find so amazing. Great review.
Books are beautiful.
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

sanjus wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 02:09 The journey from a newspaper delivery boy to real estate tycoon seems to be quite inspirational to read. Thanks for your insightful review.
He was quite adventurous when it came to business. Thanks for your comment!
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

Bles wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 03:21 I'm currently reading this book and so far so good I find so amazing. Great review.
Glad to know you're enjoying it as well. Thanks for your comment!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This is a very inspiring book for entrepreneurs and people who are down on their luck. It reminds us that we have to keep trying to succeed. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

Prisallen wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 19:27 This is a very inspiring book for entrepreneurs and people who are down on their luck. It reminds us that we have to keep trying to succeed. Thanks for the wonderful review!
I agree with everything you said. Thanks for the comment!
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Dropping out of school was a bold move for Jorge. For his parents to encourage him even when he made the choice speaks volume of their supportive nature. I found Jorge and his journey to be inspirational. Thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

Faithmwangi wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 08:44 Dropping out of school was a bold move for Jorge. For his parents to encourage him even when he made the choice speaks volume of their supportive nature. I found Jorge and his journey to be inspirational. Thanks for the review.
Yes, his family was a very good source of support for him. They had a good relationship with each other. Thanks for your comment!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”