Official Review: How to Get Longer Life From Your Big Scr...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Official Review: How to Get Longer Life From Your Big Scr...

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How to Get Longer Life From Your Big Screen Television Set" by Mason Bolton III.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How to Get Longer Life from Your Big Screen Television Set by Mason Bolton III is a nonfiction manual designed to help TV owners protect their investment. The author explains that the average TV lasts three to five years but could last significantly longer if consumers took more care with them. He describes the wide range of threats that your TV might be facing without your knowledge and provides simple instructions for inexpensive ways to protect your TV. Topics covered include overheating, corrosion, humidity, dust, condensation, vibration, and more. This guide is both comprehensive enough to provide significant information and simple enough to be used by anyone.

I really appreciated how practical this author’s advice was. Although he is a retired engineer, he understands that most of his readers aren’t, and he goes out of his way to explain only the issues that directly pertain to the health of your TV. This kept the guide short and sweet. It also helped me focus while reading because I always knew that he would give specific recommendations instead of spending time explaining DC current or the chemical process behind corrosion.

Although the author is extremely knowledgeable about televisions, I was forced to question his credibility a little after finding a variety of grammatical and typographical issues in the book. The formatting generally looks very professional, but there are errors in the writing that made it clear it wasn’t professionally edited. I also had a few other minor issues with the writing, such as the author using “we” to refer to himself (despite being a single author) and the overuse of emphasis (italics, boldface, and quotation marks).

With these issues in mind, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I loved how the author focused on the practical side of TV protection, but I wish he had hired a professional editor to polish up the writing. I also think that the book would appear more professional if the author removed much of the boldface and italics used, as these appeared frequently enough to distract me from the advice he was offering.

I would recommend this book for adults who own televisions and want to understand how they can protect these expensive products. It would be especially useful for those who have recently purchased or plan to purchase new big-screen televisions because many of the tips included are preventative and are most effective when employed before damage begins.

How to Get Longer Life From Your Big Screen Television Set
View: on Bookshelves
Sayman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sayman »

Great clips from this book been given from the author. Glad that I really read this book and enjoy it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Hmm. I really wondered if this book was about something other than TVs. I just didn't expect exactly what the title says. It seems useful, but I don't think I'll read it. My television isn't that big, and it seems fine.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”