Official Review: Helix Breaks His Wheels

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Helix Breaks His Wheels

Post by unamilagra »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Helix Breaks His Wheels" by Randal R. Betz Jr..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Helix is a young tortoise whose back legs don’t work. Instead, he uses wheels to move around. He doesn’t let his disability stop him from doing everything the other kids do. At school one day, Helix decides to try going across the monkey bars. Unfortunately, as many kids do when first trying, he falls. He isn’t hurt, but his wheels are broken. Will Helix be able to finish out the day at school without his wheels? Will his teacher and friends be able to help him find a replacement that will let him keep on rolling?

Helix Breaks His Wheels by Randal Betz Jr. is the third book in a series about Helix. His character is based on a real tortoise with a congenital spinal disorder. The book contains colorful full-page pictures that kids will love. In addition, there is a little owl hidden on each page for children to try to find.

The story is written entirely in dialogue between Helix, his teacher, and his classmates. At the end of the book, there is an informational section about each of the species of tortoise that appears in the book. This section contains real photographs of each type of tortoise, along with information about their distinguishing features, habitat, diet, etc. There is also a biography about Helix, who unfortunately passed away in January of this year. I love that the book incorporates educational information about tortoises along with a fun story.

I think this is a wonderful book for kids. The themes of kindness and never giving up shine through every page, and the characters are wonderful role models. They are full of encouragement and willingness to help each other. The way they all come together to help Helix solve his problem is sweet. The only complaint I have about this book is that there was no introduction of Helix or his disability in the text of the story. I was a bit confused about why Helix needed wheels in the first place until I got to the end of the book and read his biography. I realize that this is part of a series, but Helix should be fully introduced in each story in case someone picks this book up before the first one.

I did notice a few errors, as well as some font and formatting issues with the educational portion of the pdf version. Hopefully, these errors can be cleaned up in the physical book. Due to these issues and my confusion about Helix throughout the story, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Because of the nice illustrations, positive messages, and educational value, I would not consider a lower rating to be appropriate. I think the vocabulary and content would be perfect for children aged three to six, and I would especially recommend this book for kids who like to learn about animals.

Helix Breaks His Wheels
View: on Bookshelves
JoyALB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyalb.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by JoyALB »

This sounds like a really cute book for kids. I love the different themes that spread a positive message to kids. I would love to read this to my 3 year old niece. I'm sure she would also enjoy the colorful pictures. Great review!
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

So sorry to hear about the real Helix’s passing. I reviewed the second book in the series and appreciated the all-dialogue approach for young readers. Thanks for your review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

Sounds like such a sweet book. I like to read childrens book sometimes, the review inspired me to take a look
Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

A lovely story and an opportunity for children to learn about coping with a disability -- what a terrific book! Terrific review too. :D
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Wow! This author seems to just be on a roll! I read and reviewed book one. Then I saw book two and now this one! I absolutely love this storyline! It’s so positive and inspires compassion for others. Great job on this! 😊😊
Everything happens for a reason...
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

As long as its filled with genuine heartwarming and wholesome moments, that's good enough for me. Thanks for the review!
Shabram22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Breaking the Chain by Patricia Rossi

Post by Shabram22 »

How cute! My kids would definitely love this book because we have pet tortoises. Thank you for this review!
unamilagra
Currently Reading:

Post by unamilagra »

JoyALB wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 01:20 This sounds like a really cute book for kids. I love the different themes that spread a positive message to kids. I would love to read this to my 3 year old niece. I'm sure she would also enjoy the colorful pictures. Great review!
Thank you for stopping by and commenting!

MsH2k wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 02:06 So sorry to hear about the real Helix’s passing. I reviewed the second book in the series and appreciated the all-dialogue approach for young readers. Thanks for your review.
I also liked the all-dialogue approach. Thanks for your comment!

readerrihana wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 02:42 Sounds like such a sweet book. I like to read childrens book sometimes, the review inspired me to take a look
Thanks for commenting! I hope you enjoy it.

Juliet+1 wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 19:05 A lovely story and an opportunity for children to learn about coping with a disability -- what a terrific book! Terrific review too. :D
Thank you very much, and thanks for stopping by!

cpru68 wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 23:05 Wow! This author seems to just be on a roll! I read and reviewed book one. Then I saw book two and now this one! I absolutely love this storyline! It’s so positive and inspires compassion for others. Great job on this! 😊😊
He really does seem to be cranking out the books. I'm glad you enjoyed the series as well. Thanks for your comment!

adamgreenrock wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 06:46 As long as its filled with genuine heartwarming and wholesome moments, that's good enough for me. Thanks for the review!
Thank you for commenting!

Shabram22 wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 14:57 How cute! My kids would definitely love this book because we have pet tortoises. Thank you for this review!
Oh how fun! Yes, I would definitely recommend this series for your family. Thanks for commenting!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I dislike errors in a kid's book. Still, I love that there is an owl hidden on each page. It seems cute. I sure hope that the author can clean it up. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
tlefebvre
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tlefebvre »

This book is a very inspiring children's with very good illustrations and a very inspiring message. This book is great to teach children about their own disability or to teach children about others with disabilities. It it very cute!
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

This sounds like an adorable book, and as the grandmother of a child with disabilities, I applaud the author for bringing this subject into the light for children to read about. I agree that there should be at least a short introduction about Helix at the beginning of each book if they are meant to be read as a stand-alone. I enjoyed reading your review, thanks!
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones

Post by Maria Esposito »

We definitely need more children's books that feature main characters with disabilities, and this one sounds like it has a lot to give to the little readers. Thank you for a well-written review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I'm also sure that the kids will love the pictorial illustrations. This reminds me of my childhood. I'll be very luck to get an opportunity to review it too. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:

Post by unamilagra »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 20:08 I dislike errors in a kid's book. Still, I love that there is an owl hidden on each page. It seems cute. I sure hope that the author can clean it up. Thanks.
I believe the book was still in manuscript form, as I couldn't find it for sale anywhere. Hopefully he will get everything fixed up before the actual book comes out. Thanks for commenting!

tlefebvre wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 21:10 This book is a very inspiring children's with very good illustrations and a very inspiring message. This book is great to teach children about their own disability or to teach children about others with disabilities. It it very cute!
Thank you for your comment!

Kelyn wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 21:13 This sounds like an adorable book, and as the grandmother of a child with disabilities, I applaud the author for bringing this subject into the light for children to read about. I agree that there should be at least a short introduction about Helix at the beginning of each book if they are meant to be read as a stand-alone. I enjoyed reading your review, thanks!
I agree, I think all kids can use more exposure to those with disabilities. Thank you for stopping by!

espo wrote: 09 Feb 2020, 06:05 We definitely need more children's books that feature main characters with disabilities, and this one sounds like it has a lot to give to the little readers. Thank you for a well-written review!
It does offer a lot. Thanks for commenting!

Julius_ wrote: 09 Feb 2020, 10:05 I'm also sure that the kids will love the pictorial illustrations. This reminds me of my childhood. I'll be very luck to get an opportunity to review it too. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for your comment!

Return to “Children's Books”