Official Review: Transference by B.T. Keaton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Official Review: Transference by B.T. Keaton

Post by NetMassimo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Transference" by B.T. Keaton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Transference by B.T. Keaton is set at the beginning of the 22nd century, when humans have the means to travel faster than light, but the biggest discovery was a way to transfer a person's soul into another body, a process called transference. The Church, led by the Prophet, controls the process, and that gave it an enormous power thanks to the possibility to transfer the soul of an old or sick person into a body that's young and healthy. It might be the other way around because the Church can use transference to reward or punish a person. The harshest punishment is the imprisonment on Eridania, a planet where prisoners work in the mining of a rare mineral crucial for transference technology. Barrabas Madzimure is one of the prisoners, known as the king of thieves, but who's really that man? When he faces execution for killing another prisoner, he claims that he has the soul of another man. An inquisitor is sent by the Church to establish the truth.

The idea of a mind swap, or a body swap, depending on the point of view, existed long before science fiction as a plot device originally connected to magical causes. Science fiction only updated the idea making up pseudo-scientific explanations that go from a brain transplant to a transfer of the mind contents like data are copied from a device to another.

B.T. Keaton used a variant of the mind swap concept, a soul transfer. A device is used for this process, so you could argue that his novel is science fiction. On the other hand, the reference to souls and the Church that controls it makes it look supernatural, so you could argue that this novel is fantasy. An adage formulated by British science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke states that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, so maybe the contradiction is only apparent. I think that labels are limiting for novels that blur the borderline between genres such as Transference.

In this novel, the consequence of the soul transfer technology is a dictatorship of the Church that controls it. In fact, the story starts on the planet Eridania, where there's a mining operation that uses prisoners to perform dangerous tasks. One of the prisoners, Barrabas Madzimure, is due to be executed for the murder of another prisoner, but claims he has the soul of another man. That mystery starts a series of events with twists and turns. At first, the situation can be confusing, but the revelations offered throughout the story eventually make things clear. You need a little patience to understand the events: you can see it like a jigsaw puzzle that requires you to add a number of pieces before you can see an image that makes sense.

Barrabas Madzimure is the protagonist of this novel, but there are other important characters used by B.T. Keaton to offer more information about what's happening on Eridania and Earth. The novel is told in the first person by different characters, which is a bit unusual. Honestly, in a couple of occasions, starting a new chapter with a new narrator was a bit confusing, but overall I found it an interesting choice. The author used it to create vivid characters and offer a more complete picture about the novel's events and characters' perceptions. That's important also because this is a story where faces can be used as masks.

I have to warn you that brutality is a part of the story, and sometimes that makes it disturbing. There are bits of humor, but the drama element is dominating. That's because the novel is set in a dictatorship where authorities have the right of life and death over common citizens. In the prison on Eridania, prisoner beatings are normal. B.T. Keaton goes into details only when it's needed in the plot, so for example rapes are only mentioned. The common use of profanities is insignificant in comparison.

I liked the fact that the novel offered food for thought about a number of topics. For example, you can reflect about the fact that the control of transference causes suffering, identity problems, and an abuse of power. My only complaint is that the plot becomes a bit convoluted following the consequences of using transference. It's not really a big problem, so it didn't affect my final judgment. Transference is professionally edited, so I found no errors. For these reasons, my rating is 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone interested in stories of search for freedom and identity.

Transference
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ciao :)
Massimo
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I always find sci-fi books or movies scary, because for me all of it could happen. I am not the right audience for this read but I enjoyed reading your review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 11:21 I always find sci-fi books or movies scary, because for me all of it could happen. I am not the right audience for this read but I enjoyed reading your review.
This novel is quite dark, so I guess it's not for you. Unfortunately, in recent years dystopic science fiction stories are far more common than cheerful ones.

Thank you for your appreciation. :)
Massimo
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love a good science fiction story, so I'm definitely intrigued by your review. Body swapping or soul swapping isn't new, but it still sounds interesting. Love your review. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

kandscreeley wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 20:06 I love a good science fiction story, so I'm definitely intrigued by your review. Body swapping or soul swapping isn't new, but it still sounds interesting. Love your review. Thanks.
B.T. Keaton used the concept in a way that had the consequences described in the novel.

Massimo
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

Thankx for the review, i would not have understood the plot of thed stiry from the title, but the review cleared it up

Thanks
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

readerrihana wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 04:10 Thankx for the review, i would not have understood the plot of thed stiry from the title, but the review cleared it up

Thanks
The novel starts with a mystery, it's just appropriate that the title is mysterious as well.

Massimo
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

I guess so

Thanks
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

A soul transfer is something I've never read about - it sounds fascinating and terrifying at the same time!! Thank you for your review - as always I enjoyed your insightful background information about sci-fi and fantasy.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

espo wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 13:27 A soul transfer is something I've never read about - it sounds fascinating and terrifying at the same time!! Thank you for your review - as always I enjoyed your insightful background information about sci-fi and fantasy.
I don't remember reading about soul transfers either, but I read much more science fiction than fantasy. Thank you for your appreciation. :)
Massimo
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

Looks like after reading this book, one has to allocate some time to think about and reflect on different issues detailed in the book. I'm in! Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Julius_ wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 06:33 Looks like after reading this book, one has to allocate some time to think about and reflect on different issues detailed in the book. I'm in! Thanks for the review.
Indeed you can go on reflecting on the issues addressed in the novel for a long time due to their complexities and nuances. Thank you for your appreciation. :)
Massimo
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I'm not certain I believe that the inclusion of souls and the church would automatically qualify a book as supernatural. That's certainly not the supernatural as I think of it. I also don't mind a bit of mystery in my sci-fi; it keeps it interesting. But I do like the story to make sense. I'm not so sure how I would like the jigsaw puzzle effect. Ah well, to each their own. Thanks for the well-written review!
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Kelyn wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 20:44 I'm not certain I believe that the inclusion of souls and the church would automatically qualify a book as supernatural. That's certainly not the supernatural as I think of it. I also don't mind a bit of mystery in my sci-fi; it keeps it interesting. But I do like the story to make sense. I'm not so sure how I would like the jigsaw puzzle effect. Ah well, to each their own. Thanks for the well-written review!
The religious connotations to what's around soul transfer suggested a supernatural origin, but with no real explanation it's still at a borderline between genres.

Thank your for your appreciation. :)
Massimo
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

It's a terrifying idea to think that the Church might punish people by transfering their souls into other bodies. It sounds like a book I have to check out. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”