Official Review: The Falcon Descends by Mary-Ellen Pecci

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: The Falcon Descends by Mary-Ellen Pecci

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Falcon Descends" by Mary-Ellen Pecci.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"The falcon symbolizes wisdom, vision and victory.”

In The Falcon Descends by Mary-Ellen Pecci, attorney Maddie Archer is intent on finding justice and questions the ethics of the judge who presided over a case that resulted in a family member's conviction. Maddie accepts a temporary position as a deputy clerk of courts and utilizes the hacking skills of her best friend, Gorgeous George, a cross-dressing private detective. She finds an unexpected ally in Gabby Hebrisa, a local officer and law student, who also has personal reasons for uncovering the corruption of the courtroom players. Meanwhile, Maddie has hired handsome Micah for his carpentry skills and as a pet sitter for "her girls" while she is away investigating. Micah has firsthand experience with the prison system, but Maddie trusts him, and sparks are beginning to fly.

The 333-page book is divided into two parts: "Cross Threaded" and "The Woman Who Crawled Out of the Sea." Pecci skillfully intertwines fast-paced plots, suspenseful twists, and a cast of well-developed characters. Her writing style is slightly satirical, and she weaves interesting background details throughout the plots that illustrate her characters' strengths and weaknesses. I particularly like the strong female presence exemplified through Maddie and Gabby. Readers will relate to the pair of headstrong women and the camaraderie they share. The second storyline also features Maddie and Gabby plus other notable returning characters, such as sidekick GG, love interest Micah, the primary antagonists, and the law enforcement team.

On the other hand, I disliked the conclusion of Part I. Pecci never returned to a portion of the introductory plot, and I was left with unanswered questions. I would have preferred a more satisfying ending to the first storyline before proceeding to the next one. Also, Pecci's use of the word "transvestite" may be offensive to some readers; trans people prefer the term "cross-dresser."

Unfortunately, the book has not been professionally edited and is rife with errors, including misplaced quotation marks, incorrect punctuation, and the use of possessives instead of plurals. The following example illustrates the types of errors present throughout the book: "Why Richmond," asked Micah? Unfortunately, the lack of editing detracts from the book as a whole.

Overall, I rate The Falcon Descends 3 out of 4 stars for its engaging plot and strong characterization. However, I reiterate that the editing issues need attention. I also caution sensitive readers that the book contains nonborderline profanity, violence, and sexual content. I recommend the book to readers who appreciate satire, suspense, and relatable characters.

The Falcon Descends
View: on Bookshelves
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

I was curious about this one, since I could find little about it online, but it's interesting to hear it involves the prison system, plenty of suspense, twists and turns, strong women, and some nice camaraderie. Were there any falcons?
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Yes, the falcon's role is revealed near the end of the book.
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

Sounds like an interesting storyline, since I enjoy reading books that contain lawyers, the prison and legal systems, but at the same time due to the profanity, violence and erotic content I am sure I would not enjoy it. Thanks for the review
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

readerrihana wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 05:01 Sounds like an interesting storyline, since I enjoy reading books that contain lawyers, the prison and legal systems, but at the same time due to the profanity, violence and erotic content I am sure I would not enjoy it. Thanks for the review
I understand. Thanks for your comment.
Salma_asa
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by Salma_asa »

Suspense thriller is one of my favourite genres. Reading your review, it seems like this book is worth trying. Eager to read this. Great job with the review!
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Oof. Any story about a woman taking on the justice system is sure to be a tough read, and it looks like Maddie has a tough road ahead of her. I do wonder how much danger she's in and if she can really affect the change she's trying to, though I'm sure the errors would be distracting while trying to find this out.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Salma_asa wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 11:28 Suspense thriller is one of my favourite genres. Reading your review, it seems like this book is worth trying. Eager to read this. Great job with the review!
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Nisha Ward wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 03:52 Oof. Any story about a woman taking on the justice system is sure to be a tough read, and it looks like Maddie has a tough road ahead of her. I do wonder how much danger she's in and if she can really affect the change she's trying to, though I'm sure the errors would be distracting while trying to find this out.
Thanks for your comment, Nisha.
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

I am interested to see how Maddie proves that the judge was dirty. I also want to see how her relationship with Micah develops.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”