Official Review: A Better Next by Maren Cooper

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Official Review: A Better Next by Maren Cooper

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Better Next" by Maren Cooper.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jess Lawson is blindsided when her seemingly happy twenty-year marriage crumbles. Her husband, Arthur, believes their opposing careers caused the breakdown of their relationship, but Jess isn't convinced. Between Arthur's need to quickly wrap up the divorce and cohabitating with a new love interest, Jess is beginning to realize that their marriage has been in trouble for quite some time.

Luckily, her work as a health care consultant keeps her mind busy, and her college-aged children distract her from thinking about her failed marriage. Still, the divorce is hurting the kids, and Arthur is acting increasingly petty over splitting up their shared assets. Jess would love nothing more than to put this painful experience behind her and move on, but is it possible?

A Better Next by Maren Cooper is a thought-provoking fictional book about the deconstruction of marriage. The book is written in the third-person perspective, which allows readers to experience life through Jess's eyes. Readers are introduced to a woman who has worked hard to solidify a successful career while balancing the challenges of raising kids. Unfortunately, she is thrown a curveball when infidelity rears its ugly head. While it is not a story that highlights the favorable aspects of marriage, it speaks to women who are constantly challenged by the work-family balance. It is an expertly crafted portrayal of the pressures that modern-day women face when trying to be everything to everyone.

My favorite aspect of the book was the emotional connection I felt towards Jess. The author did an excellent job of conveying the plight of a rejected woman. Arthur's lack of empathy cut Jess to the core. It was unfathomable how someone could break their vows so carelessly and disregard their partner's feelings. The fact that he remained stoic about his infidelity had me reeling; I wanted to shake him and demand that he show some remorse!

Another thing that loved about the book was the presence of strong, independent women. Jess's friends, Diane and Claire, were both career-driven individuals who didn't give in to the societal pressures of fulfilling traditional gender roles. While Jess flirted with the idea of dating, it wasn't a huge priority for her. These women were content with their lives, with or without a partner.

As much as I loved the book, at times, the storyline seemed to drag. For most of the book, it carried on at a steady pace, but by the last half, it began losing momentum. The most significant conflict had already passed, and my attention span was starting to wane. Despite this shortcoming, the writing remained strong throughout, and the ending provided a reprieval from the lackluster second half. With that being said, I chose not to deduct a star, and I give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I was impressed by the absence of errors, and the book was professionally edited.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this book to middle-aged women who have experienced the unraveling of a marriage; Jess's struggles will undoubtedly resonate with you! On the other hand, if you are a young reader seeking a conventional love story, I would look elsewhere as this book documents the uncoupling of a marriage plagued by infidelity.

A Better Next
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

Sounds like it will be a really intriguing romance story about the hardships of marriage. Thanks for your review!
Stephanie Elizabeth

adamgreenrock wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 01:43 Sounds like it will be a really intriguing romance story about the hardships of marriage. Thanks for your review!
Thanks for your comment!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

This sounds like a well-written book that could tug at your emotions. The guy's attitude toward what he had done would have irked me too. :D Nevertheless, this not a book I would read. Failing marriages and infidelities are not something I am interested in. However, I think you did a really great job on your review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like an engaging read, and I enjoyed your review. Thanks for the recommendation.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I love the fact that the author explores the challenges a modern-day woman faces when trying to balance her career, marriage, and kids. While I'm far from being a middle-aged woman with marriage experience, this book sounds super interesting and vibrant. Thank you for a beautifully written review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

It sounds like I should skip this one. It sounds like an emotional book. I am glad that these women thought they were content with their life with or without a partner. Thank you for your honest review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Stephanie Elizabeth

espo wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 12:56 I love the fact that the author explores the challenges a modern-day woman faces when trying to balance her career, marriage, and kids. While I'm far from being a middle-aged woman with marriage experience, this book sounds super interesting and vibrant. Thank you for a beautifully written review!
Thank you; I really appreciate your comment!
Stephanie Elizabeth

AntonelaMaria wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 13:10 It sounds like I should skip this one. It sounds like an emotional book. I am glad that these women thought they were content with their life with or without a partner. Thank you for your honest review.
Thank you!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Cecilia_L wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 12:32 This sounds like an engaging read, and I enjoyed your review. Thanks for the recommendation.
Thanks for your comment!
Stephanie Elizabeth

melissy370 wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 12:29 This sounds like a well-written book that could tug at your emotions. The guy's attitude toward what he had done would have irked me too. :D Nevertheless, this not a book I would read. Failing marriages and infidelities are not something I am interested in. However, I think you did a really great job on your review.
Thank you!
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I enjoyed your review too! Though I wished it were possible for your to put your hands into the pages of that book and shake Arthur! Women do struggle being everything to everyone don't they!! Thanks!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Magnify3 wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 02:06 I enjoyed your review too! Though I wished it were possible for your to put your hands into the pages of that book and shake Arthur! Women do struggle being everything to everyone don't they!! Thanks!
They sure do--thank you!
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

Perhaps the book would be interesting to women in similar situations, trying to struggle between work and family. Thanks for the review
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

A thought provoking book about destruction of marriages. I can't relate to the topic. I think I'll pass it.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”