Review by VernaVi -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Review by VernaVi -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Man Mission by Etyan Uliel is an adventure. It is described as an epic journey of four friends over fifteen years, but the book is much more than that. Throughout the journey to different parts of the planet, these young friends find their way through life together. They marry, have children, and grow as individuals while still maintaining and valuing each other’s friendship.

One of my favorite things about this book is the writing style that wraps so much of the tale in humor. Even the “Man Mission Charter” is humorous, and I found myself grinning while reading the list of mission rules. “Bathing Optional, Chafing Obligatory, Whining Tolerated...” A book that can make readers smile while telling a meaningful story is a literary achievement. This book hits both of those marks.

I liked the maps with the drawings of hikers, canoes, bowls of noodles, giraffes, animals, killer whales, and sailboats, etc., located at the beginning of each section. It enhanced the adventurous feel of the beginning of each journey. I also enjoyed the summary at the end of each trip that gave a brief overview and catalog of gains and losses, all of which were usually written tongue-in-cheek.

The character development in this story was superb. I felt like I knew each character personally by the end of the book. Some places caused me to laugh out loud, which is rough when you’re supposed to be reading quietly at midnight while everyone else in the house is asleep. One of those locations is where Sam and Eytan miraculously find a hotel after a grueling day of biking halfway up Mount Fuji by mistake, “A revolving glass door led into the marbled main lobby. Sam and I strutted in, taking wide steps like cowboys on account of the chafing...”

The concept of this book reminded me of the movie Cityslickers with Billy Crystal, which featured a small group of lifelong friends that took a trip once a year that led them into life-changing, poignant, and at times hilarious adventures. People who liked that movie will no doubt enjoy this book!

Even though there is a prevailing element of humor throughout, I find that this book is very thoughtfully written, and I appreciated that the author revealed such deep, private inner thoughts so frequently throughout the story. That is what I liked most about this book. There will be many readers that identify with the personal difficulties described herein. It is also very well-edited. The only mistake I found was a missed comma. For these reasons, I am rating it with 4 out of 4 stars.

In the end, I found nothing to dislike about this book. I will say that in spite of the hilarity of much of this tale, it is frequently interspersed with bad language (the f-bomb) and not suitable for any but the most mature audience. If you are sensitive to profanity, this may not be the book for you. It is also very sexually explicit and is not suitable for younger readers. I feel it will appeal the most to readers who like stories that focus on the personal accomplishments of the unique individual.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

That's funny that this made you think of "Cityslickers", but, I can see the connection. I also like how you give it "smile" credit while telling a story. It makes the story more memorable and in a positive way!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
George Myles
Favorite Book: Randy the Irresistible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-george-myles.html
Latest Review: ABM is B2B. by Sangram Vajre

Post by George Myles »

I love reading books that can give me a good laugh. Therefore I can't wait to read this book. Thank you for this review.
IconReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iconreviews.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by IconReviews »

I think every group of friends need adventures like the ones mentioned in this book. I have read it and found it very humorous. Thanks for the review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”