Official Review: Man's Law and Divine Justice

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Official Review: Man's Law and Divine Justice

Post by InStoree »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Man's Law and Divine Justice" by Sidney L Jackson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Newtown, New Jersey is going through a trying time marked by disruption and mayhem. There's a rot in the town's government, and very few people are willing to do anything about it. The city is divided — those citizens seeking a remedy to the situation who are opposed by those who cannot acknowledge that there's a problem. What happens when those entrusted with the responsibility to maintain law and order use their power in their own interest? How will we find true justice?

In Sydney L. Jackson's book, Man's Law and Divine Justice, readers are thrown directly in the middle of a cop chase during which two police officers shoot an unarmed teenager, Raheem Davis, in cold blood. This hideous crime ignites social unrest and protests against racial injustice in Newton. But this is only the beginning of the unraveling of a tangled conspiracy involving politicians, police, judges, banks, and large corporations. While Mayor Arnold Ford plans on saving his city from self-destruction by exposing the culprits, Reverend Dumas is trying his best to preach the Biblical meaning of true justice through the word of God.

It's been a while since I read a book so captivating and complete in its exploration of societal themes. Topics such as corruption, injustice, cover-ups, human rights, and religion are laced together in this plot-twisting mystery novel. The author patiently took his time to build all the characters' personalities in the story. Dee Dee, Raheem's mother, is revealed as one of the victims who has been severely affected by the selfish acts of those in power. I've never participated in a riot, but the thorough description of the protest sent a chill down my spine. I was terrified by how human beings can act like wild animals and create endless waves of chaos and destruction. Sydney L. Jackson described all the book's scenes with surgical precision, creating a vivid and powerful commentary on society. What I liked most was how each character was able to define truth in a way that served his or her own interest.

The author's ability to weave together the laws of man with the Christian belief in divine justice was another great surprise. Reverend Dumas' interpretation of the true justice that will come to fruition on Judgment Day was illuminating. Each chapter ends in suspense, making the book an engaging page-turner. It made me wonder why this book is not included in the mystery genre, which I believe would be more suitable. I would highly recommend this excellent work to those interested in the abovementioned themes. If Biblical verses cause any discomfort for you, then you may not enjoy this work.

Disappointedly, I needed to rate this book with 3 out of 4 stars because of the grammar errors. As for sexual content, there is only one scene where the author describes a kiss in one of the most sensual ways I've read, leaving the details to the reader's imagination. There is no use of obscene or offensive language. I hope the author's previous novels, The Big Lie and Darkness Is Not Eternal, are as fascinating as this one.

Man's Law and Divine Justice
View: on Bookshelves
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Note: The book seems professionally edited, but I found some errors based on missing commas and hyphens. This doesn't distract you from the impressive storyline but they were more than ten grammar errors which forced me to drop one star. It seems that some of these omissions fall into the differentiated style category being uncountable errors. I apologize for any confusion created.
~Tayma Tameem
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I thought from the cover that this would have been a work of non fiction. I had no idea it could even be a mystery. Looks like a book that I would read. Thanks for the great review!
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

I love how the author pits both approaches to establish control against each other. I'm curious about which one worked. Thank you for the review. I'll check it out.
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

I think I would really like to read this book based on its exploration of societal themes, but I'll have to do so when I'm in a really good mood. Otherwise I think this book would be too heavy for me. Thank you for the review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I loved your concise choice of words: the "surgical precision" of the descriptions. Your excellent review makes me want to get to know this author. Thanks for the motivating review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It sounds as if this book covers most of society's evils--injustice, discrimination, governmental corruption, etc. It sounds intriguing as well. I think it is a book I would enjoy. Thank you for a great review!
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Magnify3 wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 05:01 I thought from the cover that this would have been a work of non fiction. I had no idea it could even be a mystery. Looks like a book that I would read. Thanks for the great review!
You can certainly relate to some of the current events that are happening in today's society. The suspenseful scenes seem to tilt more toward a mystery novel, but the main message of the book, I believe is inclining more to the divine justice. Thanks for reading, Magnify!
derialist wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 05:34 I love how the author pits both approaches to establish control against each other. I'm curious about which one worked. Thank you for the review. I'll check it out.
Yes, this was an interesting touch. I hope you enjoy it. Happy reading, and thank you for commenting!
Rayasaurus wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 10:38 I think I would really like to read this book based on its exploration of societal themes, but I'll have to do so when I'm in a really good mood. Otherwise I think this book would be too heavy for me. Thank you for the review!
Whenever you feel ready, have a look at it. Despite the substantial composition, the author uses an easy-to-understand writing style. Thanks for stopping by, Rayasaurus!
kdstrack wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 22:36 I loved your concise choice of words: the "surgical precision" of the descriptions. Your excellent review makes me want to get to know this author. Thanks for the motivating review!
Thank you very much for all the kind and encouraging words, kdstrack - it means a lot. The book is indeed a worthwhile read. Enjoy it. :techie-reference:
Prisallen wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 11:59 It sounds as if this book covers most of society's evils--injustice, discrimination, governmental corruption, etc. It sounds intriguing as well. I think it is a book I would enjoy. Thank you for a great review!
It does delve into some of the bad habits that the government has, but only to build-up a point of view that will lead toward the contemplative outcome. Thank you for your time, my friend! :tiphat:
~Tayma Tameem
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

What I liked most was how each character was able to define truth in a way that served his or her own interest.

The author's ability to weave together the laws of man with the Christian belief in divine justice was another great surprise

For better or worse, I think we all "adjust" the truth in ways that serve our own purposes so I think it must be very interesting to see the social conflict in this book from different perspectives. I wonder, also, how the author managed to mix politics with religion in a successful way.
Thank you for such an interesting and insightful review!
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Lunastella wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 11:13
What I liked most was how each character was able to define truth in a way that served his or her own interest.

The author's ability to weave together the laws of a man with the Christian belief in divine justice was another great surprise
For better or worse, I think we all "adjust" the truth in ways that serve our own purposes so I think it must be very interesting to see the social conflict in this book from different perspectives. I wonder, also, how the author managed to mix politics with religion in a successful way.
Thank you for such an interesting and insightful review!
I'm sure you'll enjoy the book. I guess each of us sees the truth through his own lens and sometimes, it comes more handy to tailor it (voluntary or involuntary) to certain circumstances. Usually, we can notice this gift in politics.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Andrea! There are inspiring, as always.
~Tayma Tameem
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Truth is a funny thing. Often, man defines what his fellows see as truth, but that's not real truth, so it's curious that the reverend was able to entwine divine justice with the laws of man here.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Nisha Ward wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 09:04 Truth is a funny thing. Often, man defines what his fellows see as truth, but that's not real truth, so it's curious that the reverend was able to entwine divine justice with the laws of man here.
I hope you'll give it a try, Nisha! Thank you for sharing your opinions - they are much appreciated.
~Tayma Tameem

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”