Review by mary-annef -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mary-annef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-annef.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Review by mary-annef -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by mary-annef »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones is a true account by Jorge P. Newbery of losing everything and coming back stronger. Today, Newbery is the founder and CEO of American Homeowner Preservation, a socially responsible hedge fund geared to helping distressed owners retain their homes. He was 24 when he entered the property industry as a mortgage originator. Quick to observe his clients' successes, the young man soon started his own property portfolio. Within a few years, he gained a reputation for successfully rehabilitating apartment blocks in some of the roughest neighborhoods of the country. The acquisition of Woodland Meadows, a 1,100-unit apartment complex in Columbus, Ohio, took his portfolio to 4000 units and took two years to complete. The complex was no sooner signed off when disaster struck in the form of an ice storm. A conflagration of unscrupulous journalists, delay tactics by insurers, and city officials with suspect motives, ultimately resulted in Newbery losing everything and being left $26 million in debt.

Newbery is a profoundly authentic storyteller. He borrows the sporting term "burn zone" from his competitive cycling days (he reached the 1988 Olympic trials.) It is a section of a race marked by factors that eliminate the majority of contenders. Newbery had always prided himself on training hard and remaining focused through the burn zones that came his way. But in his own words, he never fully recovered from what transpired at Woodland Meadows, "rather it feels like …a wound that keeps reopening." He is as quick to own his mistakes as he is to praise the efforts of others. One such individual is John Gregory, a father-figure at Woodland who ran a faith-based community enrichment program. It was John who suggested replacing the complex's paid security services with resident-run community patrols. And John, who facilitated the training of residents to help with the rehabilitation of the complex. When Newbery appointed him as his complex manager, he paved the way to Woodland being a shining example of community inclusion.

I particularly like the way Newbery Senior i.e., Jorge's father and the rest of the author's family, are portrayed. It is in the makeup of the Newbery family that we find the explanation of Jorge's confidence in taking the "road less traveled". His father, an Argentinian activist immigrant, married his mother, an English stage actress late in life. They had four children and were dubbed "the gypsies" by their white neighbors on account of their mixed race, long hair and unconventional ways. Whatever the young Jorge wanted to do, they supported him whether it was driving him to the ice-cream depot on weekends to stock his ice-cream trike or allowing him to leave school at 16 to start a record company. Although, Jorge never gets his farther to drop the diminutive "-ie" from his name and remains Jorgie forever to the old man.

Burn Zones is a cautionary tale of flying too close to the sun, that should give any aspirant entrepreneur the chills. Newbery can maintain suspense, to the point where his reader risks "squandering enamel" along with him. The text touches on issues of race profiling but remains upbeat and positive. Despite everything, Newbery remains committed to the belief that one can "do well by doing good." There was nothing I didn't like about this book.

I'm rating Burn Zones 4 out of 4 stars. It is professionally edited with no errors that I could find. It would appeal to sportspeople and business people, and anyone familiar with the "burn zone."

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Thinking that this will be a boring read, I passed it on several times. But by reading your review my thoughts took a turn of three sixty degrees and now I am looking forward to read this soon. Thanks for the in depth insight 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Your review reminds me of having read and reviewed this one last year. I'm in the middle of Debt Cleanse right now and his helps me get a perspective on his radicalism. I'm reminded of the good he did for so many and the harsh realities that he lived through. It is indeed chilling.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a very inspiring and informative read :) The "burn zone" is worth exploring. Thank you very much for a great review!
mary-annef
Currently Reading:

Post by mary-annef »

Sushan wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 08:07 Thinking that this will be a boring read, I passed it on several times. But by reading your review my thoughts took a turn of three sixty degrees and now I am looking forward to read this soon. Thanks for the in depth insight 👍👍
Thanks @Sushan, I'm glad I could persuade you to try it:-) I hope it doesn't disappoint and I look forward to seeing your review.
mary-annef
Currently Reading:

Post by mary-annef »

djr6090 wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 08:27 Your review reminds me of having read and reviewed this one last year. I'm in the middle of Debt Cleanse right now and his helps me get a perspective on his radicalism. I'm reminded of the good he did for so many and the harsh realities that he lived through. It is indeed chilling.
Thanks @djr@djr6090 - I was considering reading Debt Cleanse so will definitely do so now. I hadn't thought of him in terms of radical but I think it's an apt description. A quiet, determined radicalism, untempered by formal tertiary education.
mary-annef
Currently Reading:

Post by mary-annef »

Ellylion wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 10:10 Sounds like a very inspiring and informative read :) The "burn zone" is worth exploring. Thank you very much for a great review!
My pleasure - thanks for taking the time to read it and comment.
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂
mary-annef
Currently Reading:

Post by mary-annef »

AvocaDebo621 wrote: 29 Feb 2020, 19:59 The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂
Thanks for your kind comment.
[Danielle]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle.html
Latest Review: The Global Reconstruction Project by S. Cotton

Post by [Danielle] »

I have been debating on reading this book ever since it popped up as a book to review. However, I am not normally a non-fiction fan when reading for pleasure. It sounds like there are elements that are more story-driven, however, so maybe I'll give it a shot.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”