Review by Lunastella -- E-M-P Honeymoon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Review by Lunastella -- E-M-P Honeymoon

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

[Following is a volunteer review of "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When you're married to a cop and your brother's a Senator, you risk the chance of your honeymoon turning unpredictable. That's what happened to Kelly, who was enjoying a lovely honeymoon in Honduras with her husband Tom until she stumbles upon something that could drastically change the future of the USA and the world. Along with a colorful and varied set of allies, she will have to uncover this unsuspected threat. Will they be able to save the world?

My favorite asset of E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer is the vast array of characters. From a brainwashed North Korean spy to badass female security experts and a Casanova CIA agent, to name a few, there's a colorful display of characters that not only make the plot flow easily and without a single boring moment but each one provides an enriching perspective into the conflict.

This amazing ensemble of figures also gifts the reader with witty dialogues that make this a lighthearted read, even when the topic at hand could be considered quite dark. My favorite part is the flirty banter between Sharon and Steve. I would read a whole novel with those two as the main characters!

Learning about new technologies that could be used for evil, namely electromagnetic pulses, was also a remarkable aspect of the book, albeit a bit terrifying. But let's not forget that knowledge is power.

The only flaw I can pinpoint in this novel is that the resolution felt a bit rushed for my taste and there are a few loose ends. None of them are fundamental or will keep the reader awake at night wondering, but it could be annoying for some people. I think these points will probably be solved in further novels.

I feel compelled, however, to make the warning that the reader should go into the novel knowing what to expect. This is not a deep analysis of terrorism or of cultural or social issues and I don't think it's intended to be. The character development doesn't stand out either, which would be nearly impossible with so many of them, although I would have enjoyed more dimension in the main ones. I think this novel is meant to be a lighthearted adventure that sheds light on possible new dangers and it's a very enjoyable read if you set your expectations in the right place.

The book contains almost no profanities and only one instance of a harsh swear word. The sexual references are also minimal and not graphic but, in any case, considering this and the terrorist topic that could be distressing, I would not recommend this novel for readers beneath the age of thirteen.

I would recommend E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer to anyone who enjoys a fast-paced, lighthearted adventure and anyone who finds delight in different and colorful characters. Readers interested in technology, warfare, terrorism, and espionage will also like this book. If you're bothered by strong patriotic notions or you're looking for a deep dive into the many facets involved in the terrorism problem, you won't feel satisfied with this novel, which is clearly written from an Americentric point of view.

I heard the book on Audible, narrated by Scott Ellis, who makes an excellent performance. I cannot, then, say if the book has mistakes or typos and I only found one very minor flaw.

I gladly rate E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer with 4 out of 4 stars for shedding light on new threats and approaching an original subject and meaningful social issues from so many different perspectives while keeping a fast-paced plot and a laid-back tone and delighting the reader with witty dialogues and lively characters.

E-M-P Honeymoon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Isn't it so annoying when saving the world interrupts what otherwise would have been a wonderful vacation? I agree that this seems meant to be a lighthearted read, and it sounds well written other than being a bit lacking in the character development. Ah well, off to save the world... I enjoyed reading your review! Thanks!
anthougo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthougo.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by anthougo »

It is a nice review. I would like to read the book.
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

Great review! I had all of the same thoughts when I read this book, as well.
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

Kelyn wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 21:06 Isn't it so annoying when saving the world interrupts what otherwise would have been a wonderful vacation? I agree that this seems meant to be a lighthearted read, and it sounds well written other than being a bit lacking in the character development. Ah well, off to save the world... I enjoyed reading your review! Thanks!
LOL! Occupational hazards, I guess. :D
Thanks for stopping by and for the hilarious comment.

Reynaa wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 09:48 Great review! I had all of the same thoughts when I read this book, as well.
Thanks to you for taking the time to comment. I'm glad we agree. :techie-studyingbrown:

anthougo wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 05:47 It is a nice review. I would like to read the book.
Thanks! I hope you enjoy it!
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

I read and reviewed this book recently too and it's always interesting to read reviews of books that I read. I relate to what you said about learning new things and about the character development. Thanks for the well-written review!

SomeoneInTheWorld wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 16:04 I read and reviewed this book recently too and it's always interesting to read reviews of books that I read. I relate to what you said about learning new things and about the character development. Thanks for the well-written review!
I'd love to read your perspective on the book if you were so kind as to leave the link. Thank you for taking the time of stopping by and commenting!
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Adina Lutinger »

:P
Lunastella wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 20:39
SomeoneInTheWorld wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 16:04 I read and reviewed this book recently too and it's always interesting to read reviews of books that I read. I relate to what you said about learning new things and about the character development. Thanks for the well-written review!
I'd love to read your perspective on the book if you were so kind as to leave the link. Thank you for taking the time of stopping by and commenting!
Thank you so much for your kindness! Here is the link to my review of the book(: :
viewtopic.php?f=114&t=128781
By the way, in the bottom of every comment there is supposed to be a link to the latest review of the reviewer who made the comment, are these links shawn to you?(:
Thanks again for responding to my comment and for wanting to read my perspective on the book, I really appriciate that! (:

SomeoneInTheWorld wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 06:00 :P
Thank you so much for your kindness! Here is the link to my review of the book(: :
By the way, in the bottom of every comment there is supposed to be a link to the latest review of the reviewer who made the comment, are these links shawn to you?(:
Thanks again for responding to my comment and for wanting to read my perspective on the book, I really appriciate that! (:
I loved your review; it was extremely analytical and well-written. And I agree with your assessments. If the author worked more on her characters, she would excel.
I hadn't noticed the link, I'm a bit of a scatterbrain, sorry. :oops2:
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Adina Lutinger »

Lunastella wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 20:59
SomeoneInTheWorld wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 06:00 :P

I loved your review; it was extremely analytical and well-written. And I agree with your assessments. If the author worked more on her characters, she would excel.
I hadn't noticed the link, I'm a bit of a scatterbrain, sorry. :oops2:
Thank you so much! You really made me happy with your kind words! And nothing to be sorry for, happens to me all the time😄thanks again!
InStoree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

I loved how you accurately described the characters - "brainwashed," "badass," and "Casanova." I read this book, and that's exactly how I picture them. I wish Dr. Kinney's scenario about electromagnetic pulse would have been more developed. That aspect really put me on thinking. Excellent review! Thank you! 🙂
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem

InStoree wrote: 29 Jan 2020, 02:39 I loved how you accurately described the characters - "brainwashed," "badass," and "Casanova." I read this book, and that's exactly how I picture them. I wish Dr. Kinney's scenario about electromagnetic pulse would have been more developed. That aspect really put me on thinking. Excellent review! Thank you! 🙂
I agree, there were many characters and topics that I would've loved to see more developed.
Thank you so much for stopping by!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

This one is in my to be read list. It is good to have an in depth idea of what I am getting into beforehand. Thanks for your well analyzed review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”