Official Review: The Elfkin Journals: Blending of the Races

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Official Review: The Elfkin Journals: Blending of the Races

Post by Nisha Ward »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Elfkin Journals: Blending of the Races" by JDeVereS.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Life is a moment in eternity… Love is eternity born in this moment in Life.”

Kindle Location 2021, The Elfkin Journals: Blending Of The Races
The last time I found myself quoting a book for a review, I had just finished reading The Undying Queen of Ur. I don’t often do this, what with my reading usually being for pleasure, but there’s something about JDeVereS’ The Elfkin Journals: Blending Of The Races that calls for it.

Half philosophical treaty, half narrative, the novel is the story of Garith de’Graoin and his team of Elfkin as they struggle against the Supreme Leader and Prime Acolyte, Adad. Spanning several lightyears and beliefs, this story is one of bravery, perseverance and rebellion. Garith’s team have it easy due to their ability to interface with their mind stones, but their ease is juxtaposed against glimpses of the people they seek to free that highlight what exactly is at stake in this war for the ages.

Before I get into the book’s good points, I just want to note that there were a lot of errors, most of them related to punctuation, and a questionable stylistic approach to the use of quotation marks. Words used within their proper context were often enclosed in these marks, leading to a bit of confusion on my part as to why that was. However, continued reading showed that there was no real reason for this, so I chalked it up to a slightly distracting quirk of the author’s style and moved on.

With that being said, I highly enjoyed the book. While it could be meandering at times, engaging in quite a bit of navel-gazing by both Garith and his mentor, Ramas, there was enough action and communication between the characters throughout the book to satisfy me. The characters were kind of flat, I’ll give you that, dear readers, but I think it was to the benefit of the book, which focused more on the plot than on anything else.

After all, The Elfkin Journals is about the journey to end an empire and build a new home after tragedy, not the actual characters. I won’t say the world-building is meticulous, but the attention to detail that JDeVereS puts into his work in this regard, albeit in a slightly disorganized manner, was a joy for those who, like me, revel in a world’s lore.

The philosophy of the book wasn’t lost on me either. The author proposes something along the lines of all life being interconnected, with space and time a matter of one’s connection to the universe rather than something concrete. All are one and one is all, with love being a connecting force while prejudice and greed are sources of destruction.

It’s all very simple, yet complex, within the world of The Elfkin Journals, and the author doesn’t mince words. The language is familiar and understandable, with only a bit of quantum physics thrown in at times to back up the science behind the Elfkin’s magic. Rather, the JDeVereS chooses to focus on the mind stones in the book and how they fit into the world at large.

To say that I was impressed by all of this is an understatement. While it’s not as thorough as Tolkien’s work, or as bogged down in detail as George R. R. Martin’s, there’s enough background information for the reader to always know where they stand within the story. Sometimes it can be too much, as with the epilogue’s long description of the modern Elfkin compound, but overall it works for the book’s framing as a historical record within a commander’s report.

As noted, I enjoyed the book immensely, my friends. There was so much to it, too much to describe in this review, but I never felt like I was weighed down by the narrative. It was, instead, uplifting. It’s a beautifully flawed book that I think deserves 3 out of 4 stars. Fantasy readers who like a bit of science and interdimensional travel will love it, but I should warn you. It’s not for those with a low tolerance for long, rambling descriptions.

Happy reading, everyone!

The Elfkin Journals: Blending of the Races
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

While I prefer character-driven stories, every once in a while, there's nothing wrong with an old-fashioned, plot-driven tale. And since this book spans lightyears and is about freeing people across galaxies, it sounds like, I get why it would need to be plot-driven. I love that you found it so enjoyable.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

esp1975 wrote: 31 Jan 2020, 14:41 While I prefer character-driven stories, every once in a while, there's nothing wrong with an old-fashioned, plot-driven tale. And since this book spans lightyears and is about freeing people across galaxies, it sounds like, I get why it would need to be plot-driven. I love that you found it so enjoyable.
I'm much the same way so at first I was thrown off, but I came around to it. Thanks for reading!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
CherylTegan7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryltegan7.html
Latest Review: Robots and Mad Scientists by James Smith⁰

Post by CherylTegan7 »

I love a bit philosophy (adds depth) and some science/tech (adds realism), with great world-building. All of this really pulls readers into the narrative. But I'm not sure I would be inclined to read a novel that doesn't focus much on characters and has a slightly confusing writing style. I don't mind a slower pace, but the other things give me pause. Great review :)
"Maybe life is just an endless series of rooms with puzzles, and then eventually one of them kills you." Dirk Gently (series 1)
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

CherylTegan7 wrote: 31 Jan 2020, 23:31 I love a bit philosophy (adds depth) and some science/tech (adds realism), with great world-building. All of this really pulls readers into the narrative. But I'm not sure I would be inclined to read a novel that doesn't focus much on characters and has a slightly confusing writing style. I don't mind a slower pace, but the other things give me pause. Great review :)
Initially that gave me pause to, but I can assure you that the book is well worth the read. Thanks!
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

Wow! This sounds like a nice read! With a mixture of philosophy and narrative. I like your review. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Julius_ wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 01:35 Wow! This sounds like a nice read! With a mixture of philosophy and narrative. I like your review. Thanks for the review.
And thank you for reading!
xoxoAnushka
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by xoxoAnushka »

You've summarized your views very well. Long description are huge turnoff for me. Thumbs up for your review!
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

xoxoAnushka wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 03:11 You've summarized your views very well. Long description are huge turnoff for me. Thumbs up for your review!
That's fair enough. Thanks for reading!
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html

Post by Adina Lutinger »

This seems like a very special and interesting book and you made me very curious to read it. Thanks for the great review!
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

SomeoneInTheWorld wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 07:58 This seems like a very special and interesting book and you made me very curious to read it. Thanks for the great review!
And thank you for reading.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

It is a sci-fi fantasy, so it is for me, and at the same time it has long descriptions, so it is not for me. :confusion-confused: Thanks for the nice and descriptive review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Sushan wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 12:24 It is a sci-fi fantasy, so it is for me, and at the same time it has long descriptions, so it is not for me. :confusion-confused: Thanks for the nice and descriptive review 👍👍
Thanks for reading!
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

A book with incredible word-building can be enjoyable to read. The fantasy with a bit of science sounds appealing. Thank you for your incredible review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Nerea wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 12:10 A book with incredible word-building can be enjoyable to read. The fantasy with a bit of science sounds appealing. Thank you for your incredible review.
Very appealing. Thanks for stopping by.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”