Official Review: Dream For Peace by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Official Review: Dream For Peace by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dream For Peace" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As the reader begins to read A Dream for Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah, he inevitably wonders, "How is it possible for someone to have experienced so many different things?" It is common to read about people who overcame difficulties. There are thousands of books about people who did something extraordinary in a particular area.

The fantastic thing about Dr. Ghoulem Berrah's life is that he did remarkable things in many fields and different countries. He was not only an essential activist in the struggle for decolonization of Algeria and the first scientist to give a hypothesis on what was later identified as the "Reverse Transcriptase Enzyme," but he also served as a Special Advisor of the President Houphouët-Boigny. As if all those things weren't enough, he played a significant role in a relentless struggle to start a dialogue between Palestine and Israel. In his unbelievable life, he was close to historical characters such as Mao Zedong, Robert McNamara, Yasser Arafat, Golda Meir, John Paul II, and John Kennedy. By the end of the book, the author makes it clear that he circled the world forty times. Even his love life was intense, having married three times.

It is to tell the life of this diplomat that the biography A Dream for Peace was written. What I found fascinating was to learn more about the efforts of a religious man who has always sought peace and tolerance. The book is so good that it describes events that happen behind the curtains. That's what I liked the most about it. To give an example, Fidel Castro was scheduled to give a speech that would create a dangerous situation. Dr. Ghoulem Berrah, having received the speech transcript hours earlier, said: "what if we mute the microphone after a trigger?" The official version was that there were technical problems, but in fact, it was just a clever maneuver by a gifted diplomat.

Even after much deliberation, I couldn't think of anything that didn't please me about this book. The quality of some photos is not that good, but this is understandable since we are talking about pictures that are several decades old. Besides, it is fair to say that this book is error-free (ok, I found four grammatical errors). Except for one wrong verb agreement, the other errors are irrelevant. No one can say that A Dream for Peace is not professionally edited.

All in all, A Dream for Peace deserves 4 out of 4 stars. The book is addictive and reveals many behind-the-scenes secrets. Dr. Ghoulem Berrah had a fascinating life, and knowing more about his achievements was a fantastic experience. I recommend this book to anyone interested in learning more about the history of Africa after the period of decolonization. Dr. Ghoulem Berrah is an elegant and classy diplomat, so don't expect to find any mean words or erotic content in this book.

Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

I was curious about the title until I read the review. I expected that it would have nothing to do with the book but it couldn't have been titled better.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

This definitely sounds like an interesting book. It is kind of amazing how once a person gets into one major historical event, they seem to get pulled into all sorts of others.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

He sounds like an amazing and talented man! However, it is not the kind of book I usually read. Thanks for the wonderful and informative review!
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

What a remarkable individual! I really enjoy memoirs, and sounds like a great book. Thank you for a well-written review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

Sounds like a remarkable person. The title of the book did not me a good idea of the subject, but the review has sparked an interest to read this book. Thanks for the review
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:

Post by LinaMueller »

derialist wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 06:18 I was curious about the title until I read the review. I expected that it would have nothing to do with the book but it couldn't have been titled better.
Indeed. Dr.Ghoulem Berrah is a great and peace loving man. Thanks a lot for passing by, derialist. I appreciate it. :tiphat:
You an I, tonight!
I will forget the light.

I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:

Post by LinaMueller »

esp1975 wrote: 31 Jan 2020, 14:34 This definitely sounds like an interesting book. It is kind of amazing how once a person gets into one major historical event, they seem to get pulled into all sorts of others.
The life of a diplomat can be very exciting, but it is not easy. Dr. Ghoulem Berrah is an example to us all. Thanks a lot for passing by, my friend. I deeply appreciate your time. :tiphat:
You an I, tonight!
I will forget the light.

I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:

Post by LinaMueller »

Prisallen wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 08:36 He sounds like an amazing and talented man! However, it is not the kind of book I usually read. Thanks for the wonderful and informative review!
Unlike you, I like to read biographies of great men and women. These books can be very inspirational and will also help you expand your knowledge about politics. Thanks for passing by, my friend. You're an angel. :tiphat:
You an I, tonight!
I will forget the light.

I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:

Post by LinaMueller »

espo wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 07:34 What a remarkable individual! I really enjoy memoirs, and sounds like a great book. Thank you for a well-written review!
Thank you, my dear. I appreciate it. :tiphat:
You an I, tonight!
I will forget the light.

I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:

Post by LinaMueller »

readerrihana wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 02:56 Sounds like a remarkable person. The title of the book did not me a good idea of the subject, but the review has sparked an interest to read this book. Thanks for the review
Many thanks. :tiphat:
You an I, tonight!
I will forget the light.

I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Michael40
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael40.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Michael40 »

The book promises to be a life changing influence. Great review.
Reubeney
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reubeney.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Post by Reubeney »

I was attracted by the book's title and from your review, I think I will proceed to read the book. He sounds like a relatable person. Your review is brilliant too!
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited
jerick_12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerick-12.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by jerick_12 »

Good review. I liked how the title is a match for the novel. I find it interesting and want to read more about him. He seems like a nice guy on the quest for peace.
Hames
Currently Reading: Worlines
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hames.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hames »

This book sounds informative and very enjoyable . I love read biographies of great men and women because they are inspiring.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”